My Omlet cage arrived

With my Robo, I put a huge fleece hammock, attached to the top of the roof to block it off - between the shelves either side. The idea being that it would stop him getting to the roof, and if he did manage to get to the roof and monkey bar and drop, he'd land in the hammock - but I didn't think he could get up there, because you wouldn't normally put fleece in a cage in case it was chewed. To my horror he actually found a way up to the hammock by jumping from a shelf onto it! And regularly used to go up there and snack. But as he didn't chew it, I left it there. It was big enough that he could only get out onto the shelves at either end. As he got older I just put much deeper bedding in and reduced the height of the cage as didn't want him climbing up there.

Pets at home do some pretty big sea grass mats with string on them to attach them like a hammock, they are 29x40, a couple of those would work well. They are only £6.50 too!

That sounds good :-) I've messed about with set ups over the years - shelves with contingencies, or very deep bedding and reduce the height. The former can take more mechanical engineering but can be more interesting :-) I do the latter when they get older.

Did you ever manage to hand tame the robo? They sound like a bit of a handful. There’s one lady on Facebook looking to rehome one because he jumps out of the Savic Plaza she has just bought every time she opens the cage!

With my Robo, I put a huge fleece hammock, attached to the top of the roof to block it off - between the shelves either side. The idea being that it would stop him getting to the roof, and if he did manage to get to the roof and monkey bar and drop, he'd land in the hammock - but I didn't think he could get up there, because you wouldn't normally put fleece in a cage in case it was chewed. To my horror he actually found a way up to the hammock by jumping from a shelf onto it! And regularly used to go up there and snack. But as he didn't chew it, I left it there. It was big enough that he could only get out onto the shelves at either end. As he got older I just put much deeper bedding in and reduced the height of the cage as didn't want him climbing up there.
I’m going to raise the height of the bedding on the right tonight. I ran out of megazorb, but Jollyes have carefresh for £6.50, I’ll grab a bag of that. Adds some colour to the cage too! Obviously that is for me!

Reactions: Maz
Unfortunately not. I've had two Robos and both had bad starts. The first one was from an unexpected litter (usual story, someone was sold two boys and one turned out to be a girl). Unfortunately they had a lot of stress and vet visits before being adopted, so my first one was terrified from the outset. I hadn't had one before and perhaps didn't try hard enough to hand tame him but we had a good relationship :-) He was very communicative but it was look don't touch. So he'd sit quite near the front door of the cage and I'd talk to him for ages and he'd listen. And give me friendly looks. But that was it. I eventually had him in a playpen and had just got him used to being handled, when I found he had a lump :( He only lived another few months after that.

My second robo had also had a lot of upheaval before I got him - it was another unwanted litter and they'd been taken into a rescue. Again we had a lot of non verbal communication but look don't touch. He liked going in a playpen, but attempts to handtame him didn't go well and he really didn't like it so I gave up!

Both of them would happily try and hurl themselves out of the front door of a cage, so you have to be careful! Pip, my last one actually fell out of the front door of the Plaza by accident once (which was why I had a huge cushion on the floor in front of the cage! He was running up a ramp as I started to open the door and lost his balance. But also used to try and jump out lol, so I could only open the door when I could see he was nowhere near it and had to lift it up again quick if he moved.

They are so fast. Syrians are more cautious about jumping out - robos are lemmings.

I was looking for another Robo quite recently and couldn't find any in my area, hence having another Syrian now :) It's always frustrating when you see all the ones that need new homes are 200 miles away!

Robos are really good at non verbal communication though! They would show you if something was wrong. My first one would give me a hard look then run over to something and give me another hard look. On that occasion it was to show me one of his ramps had slipped over and he couldn't reach the shelf his food was on. Another time it was to show me the wheel was stuck. I found it quite heart-warming that they would "talk" to you so directly.

So, I woke up quite a bit last night and checked the cameras each time.

Pumpkin has really settled now, didn’t see him climbing the bars once! He loves his wheel and loves foraging! I love watching him forage!

I went to PAH yesterday and they had a Robo for adoption that was bullied by his cage mates and so separated. He was apparently friendly and hand tame (so they say). I have all the stuff for him because but apparently I’m not allowed another hamster :(.

That's great news about Pumpkin :-) Aw that sounds incredibly tempting. I have been told - no more than two at a time lol. I've struggled with that sometimes and I would struggle with that now if a robo became available! Could you not have an enthusiastic plan for how two would work? I got a console table which had a shelf on the bottom so I could have one cage above the other and it took up no more space in the house - which persuaded OH lol.

Unfortunately now I can't manage bending with one on the bottom of the console so have two on top of cupboards and the cages do dominate the room - but everyone got used to it.

This is when I had the Barney on top and a Savic Plaza on the bottom

Last edited:
Back