New 120cm Plaza cage

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
As mentioned on the Cages 2022 thread, I see Savic have a new larger version of the Plaza cage! It's huge! It's 118cm x 64cm deep and 52cm tall (slightly taller than the current one which isn't great but get round-able). It must be the biggest hamster cage in existence! Because it has hamster bar spacing 0.9mm. Most 120cm cages have bigger bar spacing and need meshing. It still has a large front door and also has a large door on top. I really like Savic! I actually emailed them a while back to ask if they could make a bigger Plaza with a door on top!

They even say in the description "suitable for one syrian hamster"! They really are thinking about hamsters!

I am finding this very exciting. I've emailed Savic to ask them if/when it will be available in the Uk and where it will be stocked. And how much it will cost. When they first produced the standard Plaza cage it wasn't easily available at first and then Pets at Home were the main/only stockist - then Amazon.

I think so! Apart from the height but that can be worked round. Unless they've made the base deeper but I doubt that. Bases seem to be a standard height. I did once write to them to ask if they could make a 100cm hamster heaven with a deeper base - and the result was the Plaza cage. They kept in contact with me over it while it was in production :-). I said people were looking for a good 100cm hamster cage. It's not quite a 100cm hamster heaven but it's a good cage. At the time they said they couldn't make a deeper base because of manufacturing rigs or something.

This does sound exciting and if it’s being marketed as. Hamster Plaza it will show up more often when anyone Google’s the word hamster. That’s a good thing 👍

Would anyone get one? Assume the price isn't too extortionate? I think I would. With a maverick Syrian on my hands who would enjoy the space! Could fit loads of stuff in it! It would be huge to find space for, particularly depthwise, but I think one would fit where my current 100cm Plaza is.

Not in the near future because all our hamsters are happy where they are.

If i needed to get a new cage and had the space then yes, i would definitely get one.

Reactions: Maz
I am not keen on the height which is why I love my elmo. Only 36 or 38cm tall.

It does sound like a great size though. My female Syrian Kashi (rip) would have loved all that space.

I agree. They’ve done a hamster/rat compromise there haven’t they? It still wouldn’t put me off buying it and adapting it so the height isn’t an issue (eg putting cardboard or Perspex inside the bars and having 10” substrate!)

But it should come with a warning about the height - or people may have issues. Not as tall as the Mamble though!

I wish we could still get the Elmo! Great height for dwarfies!

Do you think the elmo is too short for syrians? Happy hamsters uk rescue thought it is.

Hmm. It's 35cm high which is ideal for dwarf hamsters. If the base is about 15cm and you have 5 to 6" substrate that leaves about 20 to 22 cm clearance from substrate - which I think is enough - but it could be tricky to fit a Syrian wheel in the cage. The Savic Mickey 2XL/Hamster Heaven is 38cm high but mine measures 36cm internally. It fitted a 29cm Trixie wood wheel with about 2 to 3cm spare above it/under it (I had it upside down). I do have a cage that's 35cm tall (the Skyline Ted which is my holiday cage). I found the height ok for a Syrian although probably had less substrate than usual. But the 28cm trixie wheel wouldn't quite fit. I managed to find an 11" wheel that sat lower on the stand and that just fitted.

I wouldn't saying it's too low for a Syrian, unless they just think a Syrian sized wheel wouldn't fit. It's about an inch lower than the hamster heaven though. What do you think? I think it could be fine for a Syrian, with the right wheel - it's a long 100cm cage. The wheel end wouldn't have any substrate but could be sectioned off. There are some advantages to lower cages - the rat sputniks hang lower and they can just climb into them :) .

They are probably thinking there would be a tendency to not have much substrate in or have a smaller wheel but maybe they haven't seen the cage.

I love it for syrians because of the lack of fall risk. The substrate can get pretty deep as the bars are narrow. Also the wooden cork lined wheel from zooplus fits in just fine.

The rescue are all about very deep bedding which I do understand.

Reactions: Maz
I had a similar thing when getting Raffy. I said I wanted to put him in the Savic Mickey 2XL first for taming (the 80 x 50 cage) and they said they only rehomed to 100 x 50 or over for a Syrian and I accepted that. I set it up with the house in the middle to break up the space in case he was shy but he was maverick and loved the space. It was the right thing in the end.

I think they do better going straight into the cage they will remain in, especially after previous upheavals, so it was the right thing really. But I have had Syrians who were scared by a big cage for a while.

If you're using the Eco habitat the hamster will love that! So much scope! You could still use the Elmo for a Syrian in future maybe - I wish I could get hold of one! Although, because I couldn't, I used the Plaza for our robo and just reduced the height with deeper bedding. The rescue actually suggested the Plaza for my robo.

Wow - well spotted Daisy. So it's in a shop that doesn't deliver normally, is that it?

Wow - well spotted Daisy. So it's in a shop that doesn't deliver normally, is that it?

Yes they deliver normally, but the cage is over their weight limit for delivery. I'd have thought it could still be delivered by courier as other 120cm cages are.

I tried adding it to the basket and checking out and it says they deliver to the UK for £5. Unless I am mistaken it seems they do deliver.

I tried adding it to the basket and checking out and it says they deliver to the UK for £5. Unless I am mistaken it seems they do deliver.

I tried earlier (just as a test) and it didn't work. Maybe they changed it.

I tried too. It does say delivery for £5 but the £5 is greyed out so I think that means it's not deliverable.

Back