Screeching sounds!

Thank you! 🙏🏼
I treat her 1-2x / day and that seems to help. Her eyes are not sticky thankfully, it just looked like she had an eye infection. She had eye infection several times, is this something that tends to affect hamsters?
We use wood shavings for her bedding, I don’t know if there’s anything else that’d be better?

Reactions: Maz
Wood shavings can be a bit dusty yes. Even if they are kiln dried pine ones then there are better options that have no phenols. I use Fitch (recycled food grade paper bedding). Kaytee Clean and Cozy is popular, which is very similar to Fitch - a bit softer maybe. I have always found Fitch to be dust-free but have had the odd bag that has had the odd bit of fine dust (Kaytee likewise). But I am sure much less than wood shavings.

The main issue with pine shavings is they contain phenols, even if they've been kiln dried. Hardwood bedding like aspen and beech is ok, although actually hamsters can be allergic to any type of wood whether it's hardwood or softwood and regardless of phenols. It doesn't sound like she has an allergy though.

It is common for hamsters to get sticky gunged up eyes as they get older - sometimes it frees itself, other times gentle bathing frees it up. But it's also possible for them to get conjunctivitis and eye infections as well.

Back