Show us your cages 2023 onwards

All these set ups are super nice! I am new to keeping a hamster and the first thing I think of when seeing a great set up for a hamster is it looks very "busy". Meaning there is so much in there as far as decorations, ramps, etc. I am learning just what hamsters need. Thanks I would have loved to know the sizes of these set up as I am shopping for Dusty's new set up enclosure now and getting ideas. Thanks for sharing. I am also seeing a lot of rope and fabric items. I thought that was unsafe for them to chew on. Just wondering....

You're right, fabric and cotton string or rope isn't safe in case they chew it. Chinese hamsters can be the exception and I think it was Daisy's Chinese hamster cage you might be thinking of :) On some of mine I have hemp mats on shelves, which are safe. Grass mats, hyacinth tunnels and hides are also safe to chew as is seagrass. Sisal string is safer than normal string if needing to tie anything up :)

You might have seen as well, that in Pip the Robo's original set up (before the perspex) I did have a large fleece hammock up against the roof. The idea was that he couldn't get up there, and it was to make it darker overhead, or, in the unlikely event he did manage to climb to the roof and monkey bar along, it would catch him. Because that cage was quite tall and difficult to make safe, even with deep bedding. As it happened he did get up there! By jumping from a shelf onto a cardboard hammock (which was tied with sisal rope which is ok - as long as it's sisal), and then up into the one he wasn't supposed to be able to reach! As he wasn't a chewer and didn't attempt to chew it, I left it there. But usually you wouldn't put fabric in with a hamster.

I preferred the later set up with the perspex and deeper bedding to reduce the cage height :)

Last edited:
Im getting my first hamster on Friday. It’s a dwarf hybrid. This is a 40 gallon and I am aware that it is small 😕. I’m upgrading to a 75 gallon asap (hopefully some time this year). I haven’t really built up a collection of stuff yet so it is pretty bare. My birthday is in April and all I’m asking for is hamster stuff off of a list I made. Is there any way to make it better right now? All advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpeg
    IMG_1481.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1480.jpeg
    IMG_1480.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 15
Im getting my first hamster on Friday. It’s a dwarf hybrid. This is a 40 gallon and I am aware that it is small 😕. I’m upgrading to a 75 gallon asap (hopefully some time this year). I haven’t really built up a collection of stuff yet so it is pretty bare. My birthday is in April and all I’m asking for is hamster stuff off of a list I made. Is there any way to make it better right now? All advice would be greatly appreciated!
I would add more clutter as that helps hamsters to feel safe. You have a nice amount of bedding there.

I totally understand how exciting it is to get your hamster but it is okay to wait until you have everything. I think freezing hamster food for one week before using it helps to ensure any bugs are killed so you can wait until the food you have ordered is ready. If you are getting more hamster stuff for your birthday then it really is not too long to wait. Having everything rrady before your hamster moves in will help because changes can be stressful for them.

I would put the wheel at the back of the tank rather then the front to give your hamster more privacy. I love that you added a hide to the sand bath. The peekaboo hide you made looks really cute.😊

It looks great! I agree about adding a bit more clutter at floor level perhaps - cardboard is fine:). You can have a cardboard tunnel and extra hides - eg a tissue box hide.

A 40 gallon tank is seen as acceptable in the US and a 75 gallon will be amazing when you can afford it and will be better.

When you ask for some new things for your birthday, I would put a cork log on the list :). It will fill up the space a bit and makes a good large tunnel to run through and sit under and an interesting texture to climb over. But I think your hamster will love that. The main reason for extra clutter is so they don’t feel too exposed. Adding things later is usually well accepted as long as things don’t get moved around too much.

I can’t quite see if you have sprays in there. Adding some sprays also gives some cover and dwarf hamsters love to nibble on them. But it looks pretty good. You must be very excited to be getting the hamster :-)

I agree that the wheel would be better at the back or side :-) I didn't notice that. The hamster may feel a bit anxious about using it if it's right at the front.

Congratulations on getting a hamster. It's always exciting getting a new hamster, and the first is very special. I can see you have a Niteangel house and wheel which are great choices (I definitely agree with others that the wheel is better at the back or side though). Looking forward to hearing about your new hamster :)

Back