Sprouted seeds?

Norbert Wrigglebottom

Reaction score
I often sprout seeds for my 2 cockatiels, because from what I have researched, freshly sprouting, soaked seeds are extremely high in nutrition and goodness. I am thinking that this could also be good for hamsters nutritionally?
What do you think?
I do take great care when sprouting to ensure sprouts do not get chance to develop any mold!

I am not an expert on this. A hamster friend from another site is but she is not contactable these days. I seem to remember she said some were good for sprouting and others not so advisable but can’t remember which ones!

You can also buy trays of nibble grass to grow :-). Our hamsters loved that. The thoughts at the time were not to put the tray in the cage as the growing medium contained vermiculite. So U used to snip chunks off and put them out as a treat.

Good for sprouting are:
- Wheat
- Oats
- Barley
- Sunflower seeds

This list definitely isn't close to complete, but I haven't looked into many seeds and these are just the ones I know for sure are safe

Not recommended for sprouting are:
- Millet
- Sorghum

Good for sprouting are:
- Wheat
- Oats
- Barley
- Sunflower seeds

This list definitely isn't close to complete, but I haven't looked into many seeds and these are just the ones I know for sure are safe

Not recommended for sprouting are:
- Millet
- Sorghum
Thank you!

I’m a bit rusty on my sprouts now as I haven’t been doing so many with just one elderly ham who’s gone off them but ones to avoid are pea shoots & alfalfa.
Buckwheat is a great one to try.
Millet, wheat, barely & most grains or pseudo grains are good.
Broccoli, kale, carrot. spinach are good too.
Flax & chia are good too but need to be done a bit differently to other sprouts.
If you are in the UK shelled warrior does a hamster sprouting mix which is great & my hams loved, I used to do that in a tiny terracotta pot filled with clean & cosy or other paper bedding & let it grow to a couple of inches.
I’ll have a think back to what I used to do & see if I can remember any other good ones.

Is it weird that I wanted to buy seeds to sprout for my hamster buuut I dont currently have one?!
No it's not weird - it means you're really looking forward to your new hammie coming! Any news on that yet? Did you ever find the screws to fit the Eco Habitat? :)

Think I might be on the right forum here!

I would like another hamster but going to wait until I move house. Just had a sale fall through so it could be a while yet.

Bought some screws for the eco but it is packed away and I havent dug it out to try them yet.

Yes that’s the nibble grass :)

Back