Syrian behaviour during heat

Thank you . I really appreciate all of your advice . Biscuit is located in a quiet room but the piano is in there so when the kids practice I wheel her into the lounge for half an hour , most of the time she doesn’t wake up but she did yesterday … I will try not to move her poop as much 😃 she was using her potty that was in her chamber house but now she is borrowing underneath I think so maybe doing it on there .. I will have to try the play pen again so I can have a look … I will get some of the tubes for her . Thanks again 😃

I would just leave her where she is despite the piano :-) They get used to household noises and she'll probably sleep through it. If she doesn't it's not the worst sound in the world and not like a pneumatic drill or roadworks :) It will stress her if her cage is moved. Piano is the least of the two evils!

Ah ok . I use to move her when I hoovered but she never woke up . I will leave her in there then. I was just worried as the piano is so loud ! Ha 😃I am sure my son will enjoy playing to her !

Reactions: Maz
Great to hear! They slow down a bit in time, but then you miss their hyperactivity (a little bit 😉) It's very cute to see them racing around and then flopping down in a hide for a rest or a little snooze, or just to wash their fur with their paws ❤️🐾

Yes she is still quite nervous so she doesn’t groom in front of us when free roaming … I was working it out and she may only be 4 months as the pet shop assistant had no idea . I would not support the pet shop again but it had no idea they don’t get handled /treated very well … we will bring her out again in the hall later for a run 😃

It's beautiful! I'm guessing that's from Honey three paws :-) I had a little chair from there once. I like cork granules. Some people use coco fibre.

Just a tip - I baked mine on a baking tray before using them - just to be on the safe side :-) It took two batches on a baking tray ha ha. 100 degrees centigrade for 30 minutes. Just to avoid any possible bugs. I ended up buying the Niteangel bag of cork granules, which isn't cheap, but I found it hard to find a large enough amount anywhere. Previously I got them from Hopes Healthy treats but their last batch weren't very nice quality.

Others may have other tips on where to get them.

ah thanks . would it work to freeze for 48hours? i have done this with moss etc. I really hope she never gets mites as they must be a nightmare to get rid of ...

Yes that should be fine too - a week would be better. She won’t get mites from things - hamster mites are something that live on them normally and aren’t visible to the naked eye - but if they get lowered immunity through stress eg - the mites can proliferate which is when they get sore and balding areas. Freezing things is to avoid the cage and your home being overrun with bugs - but they wouldn’t harm the hamster.

I used to freeze cork actually - it’s just my cork logs wouldn’t fit in the freezer!

They’ll probably be ok 😊. Did you get them from the cork shed? Theirs seem pretty steam cleaned when they arrive.

Those are probably ok then. I just disinfected them out of habit as a lot of cork logs arrive looking quite grungy, but the cork shed ones are very clean and look like they've been steam cleaned or something. Normally I bake them. But I didn't used to and never had a problem with a cork log before. It's food that's the priority to freeze.

Aw that’s lovely 😊. Sounds like she’ll keep you busy 😊

Back