Tino's thread

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
Valentino (known as Tino) arrived just before Valentine's Day 2024, as a baby, having come straight from living with his brothers. He was younger than six weeks and is now half a week older! He's a pedigree golden Syrian from an NHC breeder - his Mum was a golden short haired Rex and his Dad was a dark grey short haired satin.

He's been in his "baby" cage for 5 nights now and seems to be settling in well and loves his wheel and sitting on top of his cork log - and now his coconut as well and is used to his water bottle now.

He avoids me completely at the moment and only comes out well after we've gone to bed and stays up till 8am some days. But has started going back to bed when he hears us get up in the morning. He does seem to be gaining in confidence now, looking at the nightcam videos.

I don't have many photos yet - these are the ones from the day he arrived, in the pet carrier, when he squawked loudly if I tried to talk to him. He stopped squawking once he was in his cage.

IMG_1420.jpegIMG_1412.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpegIMG_1416.jpeg

IMG_1418.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are some nightcam videos from this morning. He loves his wheel! And runs on it quite a lot. In between running he sits to chill. Here he is chilling on top of his cork log - then back in the wheel again.

Then later he seems to be sitting on top of his coconut chilling - then off to have some food. I scatter some of the food and put the rest in the bowl. He'll soon be too big to fit in that bowl! And doesn't quite fit now.

The water bottle is now in a better position and he's drinking fine

But he's still doing strange things in the water bottle area! At first I thought he was hiding behind it - but I think he's standing up and drinking sideways :) He does seem to like drinking sideways.

I think I got some of those videos the wrong way round! Resting after wheel running is the third one! Where he's sitting on top of the coconut.

Aw thank you. It reminds me a bit of when we had our first Syrian, Charlie. He would run on his wheel and then flop on the substrate chilling - he was having great fun.

I was up quite late last night and didn't see Tino at all - now and then I'd look over at his cage but no sign of him. I looked at last night's nightcam video and it seems he'd been out in the cage a couple of times around 10.30pm ish and I missed him. OH was watching TV at that time and I was in another room. When I came in the room he shot back in his house! Anyway at least he was out for a while sitting looking at what was going on in his environment. He then stayed hidden until I went to bed and didn't come out again until about 7am! I did feed them a bit later last night so maybe that made him change his routine. Anyway he's doing fine with his water bottle, but not keen on humans right now - or at least not humans that move!

Human’s that move can be a bit scary!
They’re so good at sneaking out when you’re not looking & hiding away when you are.
He’s up quite late in the morning isn’t he, maybe he’d prefer some company over breakfast!
It does sound as though he’s settling in well in the cage & just taking his time getting confident with anyone around.

I think I should go to bed earlier and get up earlier! But Raffy comes out late ............

Back