Unsafe hamster items and toys

Member ID2

Former Member
Reaction score
Sadly, there are many unsafe hamster items and toys on the market.

Please add to this list to make people aware of the risks and to help safe hamsters from injuries or worse.

All hamsters are different but they all forage and pouch, they are all curious and love to explore new things.

Kapok pods and fluffy bedding:

Screenshot_20221024-163100_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20221024-163442_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20221024-163022_Samsung Internet.jpg

Poor quality bendy bridges:

Many people have stopped using them but i still use the ones without gaps like the multi coloured ones and some good quality natural ones. Quality varies a lot so it is important to check them before buying and using them.

Here is an example of a poor quality bendy bridge with gaps little hamster paws and toes can get trapped and injured in.

Screenshot_20221024-163757_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: Maz
Activity toys with chains:

Hamster paws and toes can get trapped in chains and lead to serious injuries.

I've ordered a toy like that myself in the early days of keeping hamsters but then thought about it and my own common sense told me to cancel the order.

Screenshot_20221024-163940_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think you've covered the main ones there! Chains in particular. A hamster hanging by a broken leg is never a good thing after getting a foot caught in a chain. Also toys like that one above with a hanging open ladder - solid ladders are safer than open rungs. And with rope to chew which could be ingested (it's ok if it's sisal rope or string).

Another one is - entrance holes. Most toys only have entrance holes big enough for dwarf hamsters and a Syrian can get trapped - which is an emergency! Entrance holes for Syrians, in houses and toys need to be at least 5 to 6cm in diameter. 6cm ideally. If they have full pouches a Syrian can easily be as wide as 6 or 7cm!

Another one is fabric hammocks. These can be chewed, and ingested or threads wrapped around a foot cutting off the circulation or round their teeth.

I think fabric in general is risky whether its toys, hammocks or blankets if left unsupervised inside a cage. I keep things like that for the out of cage time playgrounds.

Yes it's generally thought these days that Hamster Balls are not good for hamsters. The main issue being that most of them are too small and many owners aren't responsible and supervise or leave them in the balls too long. They are definitely a no no for dwarf hamsters who can get toes and nails caught.

I am not 100% against them, providing it's a large enough ball for a Syrian and it's supervised and for no more than 10 to 15 minutes occasionally but not regularly. And if the hamster is ok with it. Some are some aren't. I do have a Savic Rat ball I use rarely but occasionally with our Syrian. But I have to say the Savic Rat Ball is about the only large one that doesn't have slits that are too large and all the others are too small.

So they are not particularly hamster friendly toys. Playpens and other out of cage time are better.

Hamster balls:

Facts
- lack ventilation
- have gaps that can trap and injure toes
- can roll down stairs
- bump into furniture
- break

My opinion
- made for the convenience of humans
- cause stress and disorientation
- unhygienic
- useful as a safe means of transport from cage to playpen/playarea

Screenshot_20221024-182941_Samsung Internet.jpg

Many people have stopped using them but i still use the ones without gaps like the multi coloured ones and some good quality natural ones. Quality varies a lot so it is important to check them before buying and using them.

Here is an example of a poor quality bendy bridge with gaps little hamster paws and toes can get trapped and injured in.

View attachment 166
This is a really good point! At first I didn’t realise this danger with the bendy bridges because I was seeing them in so many photos of enclosures. I’ve spent a fair bit of time filling any gaps in mine with moss so hopefully will be safe for her little toes!

Hi all, I've found a stone which has been in our garden for some time and I'm hoping to use it in Hams cage in the hope it may help with nail maintenance. I've given it a good wash with soapy water. Do you think I should also leave it in some water with a sterilising tablet to make sure it's super clean? Would that be safe?

I think it definitely needs disinfecting. Some people used to boil them but you might have to be careful it doesn't explode or something. But boiling it for 10 to 15 minutes should do it. Just leave the pan lid on :-) I personally wouldn't soak it in sterilising solution as stone can be porous so it might retain some of it (and keep smelling or giving off something).

Thanks, I’ll give this a try. I read somewhere about using a vinegar solution but thought this may be a bit pongy too.

That's what I would do - stick it in boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes :) . It needs to keep boiling (simmering) or the water will cool down. I'm not sure vinegar would disinfect anyway. It's a good cleaner and it does kill some bugs but not all.

I buy stones and pebbles from an aquatic shop and then give them a good wash in hot water and washing up liquid.
They are cheap and i don't have to worry about disinfecting them.

View attachment 166
I've got 2 of these bendy bridges. I'm going to push some Kaytee clean and cozy into any gaps. I'll check them every day and refill if needed.

Some bendy bridges are ok - if you get a bad one with big gaps you can send it back for a replacement but that's hassle as well. I started using the plain wood coloured ones instead for that reason. I used to get them from ranch house cages on ebay and they're not only good quality but they also screw to the bars if you want (they come with fixings). Unfortunately they don't send them individually any more - only with a pack of two shelves - which makes it more expensive if you want two! Like I did - as then you get four shelves as well. Although I do like those little shelves and use them sometimes - they can make steps with a couple of them. I think you can get the coloured bendy bridges elsewhere but not sure which ones are ok.

Back