Update for Grommits cage

grommit217

Hamster Fanatic
Reaction score
Until we get him his new large cage.we've made a few changes based on what the forum suggested.

Attachments

• 20231014_185742.jpg
    20231014_185742.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231014_185748.jpg
    20231014_185748.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231014_185757.jpg
    20231014_185757.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231014_190103.jpg
    20231014_190103.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 9
He’s going to love that house and more things to do:-). It looks very cosy.

Don’t be surprised if he’s a bit skitty for a day or two, as they can be a bit after changes, but I’m sure he’ll approve and investigate the new things :-)

He'll be ok, I'll give him space but still been chatting to him. The carrot house is edible. I cut the shoe box as advised and also put the bridge across the top. Even got him some sand for a bath today. Looking now for a cage and some better bedding . My little Prince

Thankyou. He's my first, I thought I'd researched enough but I was wrong. The best thing to do is ask the people who have these beauties in their lives already.
I will give anything ago, if its on here I know its a good thing x

That looks great.
I think most of us were the same with our first hams, I thought I’d done loads of research too but it wasn’t enough!
It’s lovely to see how much you care for him & you’re doing really well making the best home for him you can.
All our hams are special but I think our first always has an extra special place in our hearts!

The cage and wheel can be the expensive bits, but a lot of the contents you can make :) like the cardboard house, cardboard tubes (you can stick food to cardboard tubes as well by painting them with buckwheat flour and water and rolling them in seeds and letting them dry). Tissue boxes for additional small hides.

My Syrian had a shoebox house for a while until I was able to get him a wood multiroom one.

If you want to spend less on the wheel then the plastic trixie 28cm one is fine. You can just tie the stand to the bars while it’s sitting on top of the substrate (so it doesn’t fall over). But it needs to be tied with something that is safe to chew - in case it’s chewed. Like sisal string or sea grass.

I get these trio of balls as cage items and use the hyacinth ball in the cage (it’s nice and soft and you can stick treats under the folds occasionally) and I use the sea grass ball for string to tie things to the bars when needed :-). It unravels quite easily. The wicker one I keep for the playpen as it can have scratchy bits so I like to keep an eye on that one. They are quite good value.

Anything like cotton or normal string isn’t safe to chew.

I reckon you’d need two of the largest bags of Kaytee clean and cosy to fill the base of the plaza (others may know if that’s enough as I use Fitch). It uses a lot at first but then it lasts a long time as the more substrate there is, the less often you need to change it - you can just spot clean or empty a litter tray mostly and go months doing that.

Alternatively - one 70 litre bag of Fitch will fill the cage base with some left over.

If you can have a deeper area as well it’s good- to stop it falling out of the bars you could tie some cardboard to the bars on that area (sea grass string useful there again) :)

This is the Fitch bedding - it’s recycled food grade paper. It’s quite a big bag but most of it will go in the cage!

I reckon you’d need two of the largest bags of Kaytee clean and cosy to fill the base of the plaza (others may know if that’s enough as I use Fitch). It uses a lot at first but then it lasts a long time as the more substrate there is, the less often you need to change it - you can just spot clean or empty a litter tray mostly and go months doing that.

Alternatively - one 70 litre bag of Fitch will fill the cage base with some left over.

If you can have a deeper area as well it’s good- to stop it falling out of the bars you could tie some cardboard to the bars on that area (sea grass string useful there again) :)

This is the Fitch bedding - it’s recycled food grade paper. It’s quite a big bag but most of it will go in the cage!

I might get a Fitch too, I'm sure you can have both mixed up.

Back