Update for Grommits cage

He’s going to love that house and more things to do:). It looks very cosy.

Don’t be surprised if he’s a bit skitty for a day or two, as they can be a bit after changes, but I’m sure he’ll approve and investigate the new things :)
So far he's walked in the house and back out again. I gave him a jar with sand in and he kicked all the sand out of it. His new large cage comes tomorrow 🙌

If you have the space, it can be an idea to let them have a play in the new cage, the day before moving. With substrate in it and one or two things in there, like a tunnel and a hide or a familiar thing from his old cage. Then when you actually move them over it's already a bit familiar and has their scent (especially with all the old bedding on top). I find that works well for Syrians anyway and helps them settle in a lot quicker.

Having said that, if you're moving all his old bedding over anyway and keep a similar kind of layout as much as possible (eg house on the left, wheel back right or whatever), that also helps them adjust quicker too.

It can take a week to 10 days for them to feel fully settled in a new cage though. Initially they are loving it and exploring and then a slight panic can kick in when they realise they're not going back to their old familiar cage. But they usually adjust within a few days, sometimes a week or more.

For that reason I completely remove the old cage from the room after they've moved to the new one - because they can still smell it! And it can bother them a bit.

I expect you're waiting for the wheel before moving him though?

If you have the space, it can be an idea to let them have a play in the new cage, the day before moving. With substrate in it and one or two things in there, like a tunnel and a hide or a familiar thing from his old cage. Then when you actually move them over it's already a bit familiar and has their scent (especially with all the old bedding on top). I find that works well for Syrians anyway and helps them settle in a lot quicker.

Having said that, if you're moving all his old bedding over anyway and keep a similar kind of layout as much as possible (eg house on the left, wheel back right or whatever), that also helps them adjust quicker too.

It can take a week to 10 days for them to feel fully settled in a new cage though. Initially they are loving it and exploring and then a slight panic can kick in when they realise they're not going back to their old familiar cage. But they usually adjust within a few days, sometimes a week or more.

For that reason I completely remove the old cage from the room after they've moved to the new one - because they can still smell it! And it can bother them a bit.

It went well, he had a play in his new cage, he had some cucumber and then panicked because he normally hides it in the tube. So we put his tube in with hi. and then lifted him back to his current cage. Will get his new cage ready tomorrow, moving day 🤞

Attachments

• 20231017_201550.jpg
    20231017_201550.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231017_201554.jpg
    20231017_201554.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231017_201557.jpg
    20231017_201557.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231017_201626.jpg
    20231017_201626.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231017_201629.jpg
    20231017_201629.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231017_201646.jpg
    20231017_201646.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 7

Attachments

• 20231017_201722.jpg
    20231017_201722.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231017_201729.jpg
    20231017_201729.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 8
Aw that will really help him settle in tomorrow now he's been in it today. Will you be adding more substrate at move over time? It's quite a tall cage, so it helps if it fills the base and they do like to dig in it as well :) He will love it.

Don't worry if he's a bit skitty for a couple of days. It may need to go back to when you first got him - ie 2 or 3 days left alone to familiarise himself.

Don't worry if he's a bit skitty for a couple of days. It may need to go back to when you first got him - ie 2 or 3 days left alone to familiarise himself.
I'm pleased to say Grommit has moved into his Plaza unfortunately his old wheel has gone with him for now.
We've used the kaytee bedding and lots of his old bedding, even saved some poops. He's exploring at the moment and we've explained that he won't be moving again and he seemed happy about that 🐹 he has some old favourites and a few new woody things, including a platform and a bendy bridge to hide under. Please feel free to critique the set-up, I only want whats best for him... xx

Sorry I posted some of him trialling it last night and I can't remove it.
New cage listed on another chat x

Reactions: Maz
Back