Wooden cages?

orangetails

Reaction score
Sorry, me again!

I’ve decided I’m definitely going to go ahead with getting a hamster… I still haven’t seen any unwanted ones locally to me in the freeads/gumtree etc that would enjoy a cage upgrade to my Alaska, so I enquired about an older hamster with an official rescue yesterday…

Understandably, they won’t rehome to anything less than the minimum, so I am considering buying a bigger cage at this stage rather than seeing how any new boy settled into the Alaska.

My problem is, the place I was going to put the cage is up on some shelves, and I put the Alaska up there yesterday and really it’s too high 🫣 Any thoughts I had of moving the cage down for it’s monthly clean are also ruled out as it’s too awkward/heavy and it’s not even full yet! So a bigger cage would be impossible to deal with up there, and to be honest it was a bit awkward even with the big front door the Alaska has to get in there for daily spot cleaning, handling etc.

Because of where the cage was going to be sited I had already looked at two 100cm cage options - the Savic Plaza, which has the same big front door as the Alaska, and this wooden cage … I like how the top half of the whole front opens down and the solid Perspex at the front would contain plenty of bedding. No way this could go up on my shelves though!

So I’m reconsidering siting it on the floor… I can build a little frame to get it a bit off the floor if that’s recommended? It’ll make everything a bit of a squeeze in my room 🫣 but will be easier to care for the hamster…

Pros and cons of homes like this over the Plaza? My main concern is how do you protect the wood from any wee, or chewing?

Honestly, I’m currently planning a whole room redesign and new furniture etc (which I really can’t afford 🫣, we only recently finished it! So short-sighted!) to accommodate the hamster!🥰

IMG_6661.jpeg

I know what you mean about rearranging everything to accommodate a hamster! I’m still not sure how I managed to fit myself around four cages!

Personally I prefer barred cages, better ventilation & easier interaction I think but that’s just my personal preference.
I’m not sure what people use now to protect wooden cages, Rainbow might be able to tell you if she sees this as she did her cage I think, smaller items we use plastikote but that is totally impractical for a whole cage.

Are the shelves fixed in that cage? The lowest one looks too low to allow for deep substrate I think, it’s hard to judge the size of the shelves but I would be a little concerned about falls from the
higher ones.
If the shelves aren’t fixed then you could go for really deep substrate in that or a similar wooden cage.
There is always some irsk of chewing in a wooden cage.

The Plaza is a really great cage, good size & easy access, the only drawback really is the depth of the base but some people use perspex panels around the bottom of the bars to make the base deeper.
Like this or you could get them cut to size yourself.

I've never seen this cage before and really like the design. A German make going by the name.
People use plastikote to protect the wood and some manufacturers also sell a suitable wood sealer.
A wooden cage is no good for a chewer and a barred cage can cause issues with a habitual bar chewer. It depends on the hamster's personality and habits.
A reputable rescue would be able to answer this question though because they would have assessed the hamster and would know what kind of enclosure would be suitable.

Personally, i prefer barred cages for reasons like ventilation and portability but it is a personal choice.

I literally haven’t seen it anywhere except an independent pet shop on their facebook page - it will be available through them in a few weeks apparently…

Good point about the ventilation. I was thinking cost-wise if I got the Plaza and then added the deep bedding screens it might work out better to get the wooden cage that can already accommodate the deep bedding 🙃 but then it does have some drawbacks to not having the bars (also being able to hang things on them?)

Hmm, individual hamster-wise, this one from the rescue is nearly a year old and apparently very easy going - they have said a bar cage is fine. Thinking out loud a bit here, but if I am planning ahead to have hamsters in succession, the Plaza gives the best of both worlds because if I buy the full Perspex panels for the back and sides (as I first planned) I would have the option of either those or the original bars, so it wouldn’t matter what any future hamsters preferred as I could accommodate either? But if I get the wood one and the next hamster is a chewer I’ve got a problem!

Which ever one, I think I’ll have to redesign my room to get it lower down but not on the floor 🙈 Hubby is not going to be happy!!

Do you have a link for that cage please? It's not one I've seen before :) It's a good design with the front door that folds down. Some of the shelves maybe aren't in quite the right places, but they probably screw in from the back and could be left out or adjusted.

The wood tank style cages are popular these days for the ease of deep bedding, but they can be chewed out of - depending on the hamster, and then need some reinforcing to prevent that. Some people paint the whole thing, some people just paint the base and maybe 40cm up on the inside. If doing the latter, a few pots of plastikote would be fine. I'm aware some people use cuprinol garden shades for painting the whole thing, but personally I'm not keen on that idea. I have used it on a fence though! RainbowBrite knows of a safe product though that she used on her wood tank style cage. I'm sure she'll link it for you.

Do you mind if I ask how much it costs? The Plaza, plus the perspex, can work out quite expensive, unless you get a second hand plaza, and even then the perspex works out quite expensive.

I think it looks like a good option actually - and would be fine on the floor. It appears to be better made than the Pawhuts (which are regularly chewed out of as very flimsy).

My only concern about adopting a year old Syrian (and I have done this before too) is you may not have very long with the hamster, which can be hard when you lost a previous hamster. I did this before, because the hamster needed a home, but he never really bonded with me and I felt like more of a caretaker. There are others who rescue regularly and have had a few hamsters before and are happy to take in older hamsters, aware they may not live long. It could only be six months, it could be a year or more if you're lucky.

Rescues do have younger hamsters, and even litters of babies sometimes, who also need a good home and a good start in life :). I just think maybe as it's only your second hamster, it might be an idea to get a younger one.

As for the cage - I have seen it before on German Amazon I think. It's probably being imported by someone.

This rescue seems to be in your area and they have a couple of young Syrians from an accidental litter. One male one female :-)

I have a wooden cage and I love it. I love that it allows me to have deep bedding. I bought my wood sealant from this company who also make hamster cages.

I have my cage on the floor.

Cage style is down to individual preference really. I am in the minority on here as I prefer the tank style over the bar style cage. :)

I had the same issue with OH when I wanted to change the room around to accommodate a larger hamster cage :) I was just very positive about it and said it will be a much better layout afterwards, with more efficient use of space and better storage :)

I wouldn't have any hesitation whatsoever in adopting a year old hamster.

There are advantages to adopting an adult hamster instead of a baby hamster. Their personalities have developed, they are usually calmer with established habits and often they are tame and confident around humans.

I have a wooden cage and I love it. I love that it allows me to have deep bedding. I bought my wood sealant from this company who also make hamster cages.

Cage style is down to individual preference really. I am in the minority on here as I prefer the tank style over the bar style cage. :)
Thank you Rainbow :-) I don't think you're in the minority really :) For me, it's mainly about having a front opening door. Both styles have their pros and cons. Wood is fine for ventilation too, as it breathes.

I wouldn't have any hesitation whatsoever in adopting a year old hamster.

There are advantages to adopting an adult hamster instead of a baby hamster. Their personalities have developed, they are usually calmer with established habits and often they are tame and confident around humans.
That is a point. But it maybe depends on the owner as well. I wouldn't have adopted a year old hamster if I hadn't already got another hamster as well at the time. It can be quite heartbreaking. It is personal choice of course, but they all need good homes. If adopting an older hamster, you really need to be prepared for the fact that it might not be with you that long. And even people who rescue a lot, sometimes get to the point where the emotional toll is too much and they want a younger one to nurture throughout life and give them the best start.

the Plaza gives the best of both worlds because if I buy the full Perspex panels for the back and sides (as I first planned) I would have the option of either those or the original bars, so it wouldn’t matter what any future hamsters preferred as I could accommodate either? But if I get the wood one and the next hamster is a chewer I’ve got a problem!
I think if you’re going for the perspex panels it would be better to get the lower ones, either 14 or 19cm all round rather than having a full cover at the back or sides, that would still give plenty of depth of substrate but also give you the option of adding shelves or other things you might want to bold to the bars or hang from the bars.

That's what I did on Raffy's cage. 14cm panels all round. It allows for 20cm of substrate. However the full set costs about £80. And you still have a lower area at the front where the door is (unless you buy an extra 14cm piece to make the door smaller, like I did with Pip's cage). So it does still limit it to about 20cm depth of substrate and less in the wheel area. With the 19cm panels and deeper substrate, the cage then is too low for a syrian really and there is still the door issue.

Having said that, the wood cage is also 100 x 50 x 50, the same as the plaza but looks like you can easily get 25cm of substrate in. There almost always compromises. As Elusive has mentioned, ideally it's better if the substrate is the same level throughout the cage for tunneling. On the other hand if that's not possible, it can slope more at one end. Fitting a 30cm wheel into a 50cm tall cage always limits the substrate to just under 20cm in one area. That large platform looks like a good place to stand a wheel!

Do you have a link for that cage please? It's not one I've seen before :) It's a good design with the front door that folds down. Some of the shelves maybe aren't in quite the right places, but they probably screw in from the back and could be left out or adjusted.

The wood tank style cages are popular these days for the ease of deep bedding, but they can be chewed out of - depending on the hamster, and then need some reinforcing to prevent that. Some people paint the whole thing, some people just paint the base and maybe 40cm up on the inside. If doing the latter, a few pots of plastikote would be fine. I'm aware some people use cuprinol garden shades for painting the whole thing, but personally I'm not keen on that idea. I have used it on a fence though! RainbowBrite knows of a safe product though that she used on her wood tank style cage. I'm sure she'll link it for you.

Do you mind if I ask how much it costs? The Plaza, plus the perspex, can work out quite expensive, unless you get a second hand plaza, and even then the perspex works out quite expensive.

I think it looks like a good option actually - and would be fine on the floor. It appears to be better made than the Pawhuts (which are regularly chewed out of as very flimsy).

My only concern about adopting a year old Syrian (and I have done this before too) is you may not have very long with the hamster, which can be hard when you lost a previous hamster. I did this before, because the hamster needed a home, but he never really bonded with me and I felt like more of a caretaker. There are others who rescue regularly and have had a few hamsters before and are happy to take in older hamsters, aware they may not live long. It could only be six months, it could be a year or more if you're lucky.

Rescues do have younger hamsters, and even litters of babies sometimes, who also need a good home and a good start in life :). I just think maybe as it's only your second hamster, it might be an idea to get a younger one.

As for the cage - I have seen it before on German Amazon I think. It's probably being imported by someone.
No link, but it's on Scallywags Pet Store facebook page - I messaged to ask price/availability and they said it's for sale in their store only at the moment but will be online in a few weeks. They didn't give a price :( I really like how the top half of the front folds down, it looks great for access, and you could have deep bedding without worrying about it all falling out the front!

I don't like the style of any of the pawhuts, so I will rule them totally out if they are flimsy!

The cost of the Plaza plus perspex is definitely a consideration :/

The age of the rescue one is also a concern... although he does sound lovely. Very friendly, which would be nice to know for sure... I need cuddles at the moment for various reasons! I did have a succession of hamsters as a teenager, but then none til my recent one as an adult, I definitely struggle with losing them - but would that be offset knowing I was doing a good thing taking a hamster in that is less 'rehomable' due to age..? Dunno!

Reactions: Maz
I think if you’re going for the perspex panels it would be better to get the lower ones, either 14 or 19cm all round rather than having a full cover at the back or sides, that would still give plenty of depth of substrate but also give you the option of adding shelves or other things you might want to bold to the bars or hang from the bars.
Okay, that's something to bear in mind thanks! :)

Where it was going to go up on shelves I was thinking full back and left hand side would be best to minimise any bedding falling down the back of the storage which would be impossible for me to access to clean up... if it's going on the floor then I don't need to worry about that so much as it'll be far easier to access all round the cage, so the lower panels sound like more of a sensible suggestion to allow for hanging things :)

Ah thank you for the link! That looks like good stuff. Presumably I could also paint the outside of it with one of the coloured paints people use for rabbit/guinea pig hutches which would help protect it as well as looking nice? But I wouldn't want to risk those inside the cage (although I know they say they are fine for rabbits to knaw!)

I really can't decide what would be better between the Plaza and the wooden one now! Doesn't help not having a price yet for the wooden one.

I was really unsure about having it on the floor but it sounds like that will be okay... it'll be much more accessible for me even if it does all end up a bit of a squeeze! I'll be able to set up a playpen immediately outside it too - maybe even use one of those bridge things so the hamster can have free choice between his cage and the playpen while I am in there working of an evening :D

That is a point. But it maybe depends on the owner as well. I wouldn't have adopted a year old hamster if I hadn't already got another hamster as well at the time. It can be quite heartbreaking. It is personal choice of course, but they all need good homes. If adopting an older hamster, you really need to be prepared for the fact that it might not be with you that long. And even people who rescue a lot, sometimes get to the point where the emotional toll is too much and they want a younger one to nurture throughout life and give them the best start.
I can totally understand both.

Tbf, the last hamster (the one in my profile pic) I had, I got as a baby, and he didn't live much past a year :'( He was something of a ghost hamster, he kept really odd hours, often awake in the afternoons, or not at all for days - he seemed healthy enough but I often wonder if he had been poorly bred (he was from the freeads, an accidental litter :/ )

Whereas three of the hamsters I had as a teenager lived to well beyond two <3 In fact the unhandleable female (I think she did it to spite us :ROFLMAO: ) made it to nearly three!

I suppose I was sort of thinking if I got the old one this time - I am in a place where I need something I know is friendly and can have cuddles easily - then okay he might not last too long but I will be doing a good thing. And when he goes, I will have got back into the groove of hamster owning/handling again and can take on a younger one that needs more work to tame then?

I get attached to anything cute after like, a week, so I'm all set up for heartbreak whatever..! 🫣 I wish they lived longer 🥺

I think it is whatever you would prefer basically :) If you're having deep bedding, a tank style can be easier to set up with platforms etc. Scallywags are ok. They also started importing the Volta cage when there were hardly any 100cm cages available in the Uk. They sell that on Ebay and Amazon as well as in their shop. So yes timescale could be an issue if you wanted it. One option might be to buy it from the store and arrange for a Parcelforce collection and have it delivered to you that way. Delivery would be expensive then though - maybe about £35.

Did you see the link to Treasured paws rescue? :)

Back