仓鼠 Tsang Shu

Yes it might be too tall to fit. Maybe just a smaller water dish then. When you can. The slight risk with a larger one, is they can fall in it and get wet and getting wet is not good for hamsters - they can catch a chill. They are quite clean little things really and groom themselves a lot :) Someone mentioned the Ikea tealight holders. They are good - I got them recently for our roborovski. I was still slightly concerned he might land in if leaping about at night, so I have a polished stone inside it - there is enough water, but it means they can't fall in it completely. If you use any other kind of stone or pebble it would need sterilising first. Marbles are too small because they could pouch them! They are sold by Ikea, obviously but I got mine from Amazon as it was easier. They are useful for tealight candles too!

Ikea Glasig - click here

IMG_0743 cropped.jpg

I took the large one out and replaced it with a small one.

I noted that Tsang Shu came to the feed dish. There was sand in the dish, which meant she walked into it. There was an emptiness in the middle, meaning that she ate some of it. I put a Spinach leaf on top of her house.

They sometimes like to sit in their food bowl when they're eating :-) So it probably will get sand in it. They pouch most of the food they take, and take it to their hoards and tend to do their eating directly from their hoards, in private. Their hoard and nest are their most precious things. It's always best not to disturb them. When doing a substrate clean, after about three months, I tend to just "prune" the hoard from the bottom and remove the older half.

There's a whole article about avoiding cage cleaning stress here if you're interested :)

IMG_9405.jpeg
A photo thru the present mesh with my doggie cam.

The mesh on top of Tsang Shu's cage has small holes. This is actually a reptilian cage. I bought mesh fence material with slightly larger holes. I will be able to film through that fence and the results will have been ameliorated. I cut the mesh to the correct proportions.

To finish the project, I need a stretch of time to be able to 1. take the top off the cage, 2. disassemble the top, 3. try to fit the new wire mesh in place, 4. assemble the top again.

That will be a great way of watching all her adventures. :)

That may be a little too much to feed. Maz once suggested to feed veg the size of a hamsters ear and I think that is a great way of serving veg.🙂

Is that her spinach Robert?

I think it would ok Rainbow, I find they never seem to eat too much veg so I don’t worry too much about portion size, within reason.

That may be a little too much to feed. Maz once suggested to feed veg the size of a hamsters ear and I think that is a great way of serving veg.🙂
That is true Rainbow :) However with spinach I do just put out a spinach leaf and they eat what they want and then I remove the rest. They have never tried to hoard it. Spinach is a lovely treat. I know that sounds a bit contradictory! But a flat leaf is not quite the same as a chunk of veg :-) And they tend not to eat much of it.

That is true Rainbow :) However with spinach I do just put out a spinach leaf and they eat what they want and then I remove the rest. They have never tried to hoard it. Spinach is a lovely treat. I know that sounds a bit contradictory! But a flat leaf is not quite the same as a chunk of veg :) And they tend not to eat much of it.
Thank you for explaining that for me. 🙂

Here is a still from a video from my new Night Vision camera. It is only taken through the glass side of my cage, as I have not yet replaced the mesh in the top. She ran on the wheel about 11:30pmIMG_9672.jpeg
I am pretty impressed with the night vision function of this new camera.

I forgot to ask how did she get on with her spinach, did she enjoy it?
Did you get her the whimzee dog chew I mentioned before? She needs something to chew on & it’s really nice to see just how much they like those.

I think it’s fair to say that most if no all of us made mistakes when we began keeping hamsters, there’s a lot to learn.
Caring for a hamster is so different these days to what is was like years ago so definitely lots to learn and the learning process changes with each individual hamster it's not one size fits all except for safety issues just my very humble opinion. Pete at 5 months is a laid back and nothing seems to bother him.

Tsang Shu kept running in the wheel till 6am. She is apparently going to be rather nocturnal.

仓鼠 has not bitten the Spinach leaf yet. I ripped the leaf in half.

Thursday I should be able to fix the top of the cage and put the camera where it can finally see everything.

She may not like the spinach, some of mine haven’t been too keen. I would try her with some other veg & see what she likes, they’re all a bit different in their preferences. Broccoli is usually a favourite with most of them so that’s a good one to begin with, a small piece of cucumber or red pepper tends to go down well too.

She’s still settling in so she may only come out at night for a while, once she’s more settled in and feels a bit more secure she should come out more earlier in the evenings or mornings & even during the day.

CAGE.2.jpg

This is what the cage should look like after I repair the top.

IMG_9907.jpeg
This is a still but at 22:40 (10:40pm Central Time US) Tsang Shu got on the wheel in the dark and ran backwards. Head down with her rump going up the incline of the wheel. This happened more than once.

Has anyone ever heard of a hamster running backwards?

Back