A week in the life of Jas

It made me smile to hear how Jas will wait for you to leave the room before she uses her wheel. How cute and funny.

Reading how her mood changes is very interesting and from what you have said, does sound hormonal. You have clearly spent so much time working out how Jas is feeling and how to make her happy. It is so beautiful.
I can't say I get it right all the time, but she will soon let me know🙂

I'm pretty sure Jas has an account on this forum, as she likes to prove me wrong. She did get up late today, and she was quite quiet, but hasn't gone to sleep, my OH has just taken her up for outing number 2.🙂 Not her fault, he opened the cage for a stroke and then she wanted out 😃 she was only out for about 25 mins earlier, and she's only been awake a couple of hours

Day 4
While in her playpen, we tend to do a quick Duolingo session, yes Jas is learning Portuguese! Do you know what the Portuguese translation for Hamster is, (It’s really hard)…It is Hamster, just pronounced slightly differently. There is a German word ‘Hamstern’, which means to hoard/forage, some say it is where the word hamster originated from and others say that the German word was named after Hamster, I don’t know which is correct, but it does describe Jas.
Jas slept most of the night, didn’t come out much, probably tired herself out with her two outings.
I think she is reading this forum as she copied Raffy and had a big dig session this evening.

'Mood Diary' H+2
Unknown, she tends to be building up energy today, but really playful. She isn’t as frantic, but pretty fast running and doesn’t have time to stop today. Quick stop for a stroke, then she has something more important to be doing. One older, one newer pictureDSC_0529.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0644.JPG
    DSC_0644.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 7
I am taking this very seriously actually - I am always amazed at the intelligence of hamsters! And their listening and expressive skills (if observed). I doubt very much that a hamster will learn to speak (in any language!) but they may well understand if they become familiar with words. I've had a few experiences in the past where I swear the hamster has understood what I am saying! Particularly when explaining something or apologising.

Jas really is adorable and it's lovely to see so many photos of her. She seems to like that saucer a lot by the look of her on it and the other photo is just so sweet :)

I'll keep you posted on whether Jas starts speaking🙂
However, I think you might be right on the understanding, and I think they pick up on emotions. She seems to get no (although she ignores it), but she seems to understand careful. I do worry, so I probably say it more than I need to, but she visible slows down, when I say it. It could just be a coincidence, and she was going to do it anyway, but I like to think she is listening to me

Yes Raffy gets "no" as well. I think they are very much like dogs in that respect. Partly it's tone of voice but they do recognise some words too I think and associate them. Raffy does take notice of "no" surprisingly! My vet said clicker training would probably work with hamsters too and some people (with a lot of time and patience!) have trained hamsters to do tricks.

Day 5
It wouldn’t be a week with Jas, if we didn’t talk about chewing. She is so much better than she was previously, but she is a chewer. I use a lot of cardboard, which I didn’t know how much it would help, she has it through the cage if she is in a particularly chewy mood and I use it for boredom breakers. Another good trick is the wicker balls, just adding a couple of treats, I usually use seeds, which will keep her entertained for a while. She also has wooden chews, and wooden sticks and of course ‘Whimzees’. She gets excited by a Whimzee and just hides them instantly, if you give her one you don’t see it for long, however, I find them hiding when I do a clean, I have to make sure I don’t touch them, otherwise, she comes back and has to move them. I would like to add, I’ve never taken one away, but she’s not risking it.
We play music to Jas, she likes classical, but also country, stroke of luck, its a favorite in our family. If any one knows any country, I sing Beautiful Crazy by Luke Combs, this is the chorus: Beautiful, crazy, She can't help but amaze me. The way that she dances (replaced with runs). Ain't afraid to take chances. And wears her heart on her sleeve. Yeah, she's crazy, But her crazy's beautiful to me. It reminds me of Jas, she surprises me all the time, keeps me on my toes and has developed a no fear attitute.
She came out a bit early today, she was eager, but still sleepy. We got see to see hammy stretches, but not really quick enough for a photo. I had a clean and move about of her playpen, earlier and she started off a bit cautious, but when she realised the wheel and saucer were still in there, she settled in for a play.

‘Mood Diary’ H-1
Another attribute of this day is scenting, she scents everything, including it would seem tonight me! She wants me to know that she owns me, I think 🤔, either that or shes thinking 'Human, you bring me everything else, maybe you will bring me a mate back if I scent you!'
This is also hers, the picture made me laugh, I can almost hear her saying ' this is mine'
DSC_0917.JPG
This is a bit blurry, she's quite quick
DSC_0922~2.JPG

Those lyrics really are just perfect for her!
Scenting you made me laugh too & you can really see the this is mine look in the photo.
Nice action shot as well there.

Does she do the scenting thing with anyone else in your family? Just curious! Some hamsters can be anti male and some prefer males! Lovely photos - especially the one with the treat thing :-) And her ownership of it. Off to listen to that song ............

That's a really nice song :) Lovely Jaz has her song. Our first hamster used to go glassy eyed at "Over the Rainbow". I am really enjoying hearing about Jas every day - she sounds like she keeps you on your toes!

Does she do the scenting thing with anyone else in your family? Just curious! Some hamsters can be anti male and some prefer males! Lovely photos - especially the one with the treat thing :-) And her ownership of it. Off to listen to that song ............
I haven't seen her scent anyone else yet, but I'm sure she would given the chance

Back