A week in the life of my animals - March

Yes it's just some galvanised 13mm mesh bent into shape and all pokey bits removed. Moss packed over top. You could probably weave long strands of hay through it too although that would be more time consuming.

Spot cleaned Ares cage and added in the sprays and dig box. Added some flax, oat and millet sprays amongst the hay. He's already given it his seal of approval.
PSX_20230319_160354.jpg

Rearranged some of the items in the cage so here's how it's looking now...PSX_20230319_135724.jpgPSX_20230319_135641.jpgPSX_20230319_135616.jpg

After all this excitement, Ares has disappeared back to bed.

Day 3

Decided to make a start on a moss hide that I saw 'something animal' make on YouTube, except I ran out of moss...
View attachment 1834
I've also got some coir soaking so hopefully that'll be able to go into Ares cage tonight.

He didn't come out until very late last night so I didn't spot clean. If he is already awake, he is a lot calmer when I spot clean compared to if I do it while he's asleep.

Pigs have been spot cleaned and are now having their veggies. It looks like Ares is coming out for his mid day snack, so I'm tempted to spot clean now.
I'd be a bit cautious about mesh in the cage. Assume it would be well padded with moss but it would need a close eye on it as the moss could come adrift maybe. It's a great idea but just wondering if hemp mat lining the mesh before the moss could be an idea?

I'd be a bit cautious about mesh in the cage. Assume it would be well padded with moss but it would need a close eye on it as the moss could come adrift maybe. It's a great idea but just wondering if hemp mat lining the mesh before the moss could be an idea?
Fair point. Got some mats ordered. Should arrive next week. I'll put the moss hide on hold for now.

Day 4

Internet has been has been playing up all day and I haven't really seen Ares as I've been so busy. Here's the requested cage photos! (Can you guess where Ares has been rolling?)

PSX_20230321_144349.jpgPSX_20230321_144441.jpgPSX_20230321_144456.jpgPSX_20230321_144526.jpgPSX_20230321_144554.jpg

Day 5

More of a relaxed day today. Mia's had her meds and the pigs have been cleaned out. Moss has arrived so I'm just waiting for the hemp mat now. Pigtures to sum up how the day has been so far...
PSX_20230321_145646.jpgPSX_20230321_145625.jpgPSX_20230321_145601.jpg

Ares cage looks amazing. The Piggies all look gorgeous and happy too. Are they all photos of Mia? The second one looks a slightly different colour, unless it's the light. And more suspicious looking on that photo! Like - what's going on? The other two they look so happy!

Sorry if I put a bit of a damper on the moss hide with mesh - a moss hide is a fantastic idea. I'm just very cautious about any mesh in the cage.

Ares cage looks amazing. The Piggies all look gorgeous and happy too. Are they all photos of Mia? The second one looks a slightly different colour, unless it's the light. And more suspicious looking on that photo! Like - what's going on? The other two they look so happy!

Sorry if I put a bit of a damper on the moss hide with mesh - a moss hide is a fantastic idea. I'm just very cautious about any mesh in the cage.
Don't worry about the moss hide, I'll figure something out or adapt it in some way to make it work.

Despite me talking about Mia, none of the photos are of her. First one is my boar, Jupiter, Mia's dad/uncle.

Next is Mia's hus-boar, Basil. He's a fuzzy rex cuddle bug. He was just drifting off to sleep

Last is Mia's mum, Eileithyia-Eris. Her and Mia are almost identical. Only difference is Eris has a black shoulder, Mia doesn't.

I love Ares's set up. It's such a good example of what can be achieved with a large Zoozone. He's a lucky Robo.
Thank you. When taking photos from above it looks quite bare in the middle, but if you have a 'hamsters eye view' of it like I did the other day, there's lots of cover. I will be getting more bendy bridges though. I thought I had some laying about but I can't find them. Mania probably destroyed them thinking about it.

I'll also add that there's a minimum of 6" of bedding throughout and everything heavy is on stilts. Ares also has a variety of substrates to explore; aspen, fitch, tissue (unscented), hay, sand, coir and there's probably some megazorb in there too.

Once the moss hide is done that will be another sensory type of enrichment. I also want to get a cork log and some branches to go in there. I did have some branches but I think Mania played a part in the disappearance of that too. 😅

Fantastic set up for Ares, he’s a lucky Robo, it looks like a very fun adventure playground. I love seeing the guineas too, they are all gorgeous.

Back