Change of food

Blimey! It’s a bit of a minefield! Maybe I’ll just stick with Harry Hamster! At least it would be fairly familiar, and complete, and sugar free.

• Haha
Reactions: Maz
This was the thread where various non commercial mixes were being discussed. I think Elusive felt Lentils were ok for Syrians but not for dwarfs. Elusive and Daisy are the food experts!

Blimey! It’s a bit of a minefield! Maybe I’ll just stick with Harry Hamster! At least it would be fairly familiar, and complete, and sugar free.
Making your own mix, or a non commercial mix, is indeed a minefield! If it's not quite right hamsters can get nutritional deficiencies causing fur loss and muscle problems and more. I think, nutritionally, Bear's mix looks good. Although there is a note that it doesn't contain fortified vitamins and says if you're concerned about that, add some pellets (eg science selective). It takes a lot of experience to make your own mix.

But it looks fine except I'd be sniffing the freeze dried chicken regularly! I wonder if they give storage requirements.

I keep it fairly simple and use the Bunny Dream mixed with Harry Hamster. The Bunny dream mix is really nice - it even smells nice! It's expensive and frustrating having to order it online (means you need to plan ahead to get more in time) but it lasts quite a long time mixed with Harry Hamster.

This was the thread where various non commercial mixes were being discussed. I think Elusive felt Lentils were ok for Syrians but not for dwarfs. Elusive and Daisy are the food experts!

Just had a read thru this. Similar thoughts to mine really. Made me laugh about feeding stuff to the squirrels lol 😆 Blossom is the only hamster I've had who eats the chunky green bits so will probably be fine with HH lol. In fact, she hoovers it all up! I spread the smaller seeds round her enclosure in different locations so she eats them. She didn't when they were just in her food bowl 😏

I do like the look of the Bears mix though, and it seems lentils are fine. You could use that with 2 or 3 science selective pellets added daily, but it does seem quite expensive. £16 for a 500g bag. I'd just have a sniff of the freeze dried chicken after 4 weeks though!

I think one thing discussed on that thread was - using a commercial mix with the right protein levels and then having a smaller amount of one of these home made mixes to add as a bit of forage for scattering. Which is a similar idea to my giving a healthy treat daily or scattering a few pumpkin seeds.

I think you're right about the freeze dried chicken...and the price. I'd be rather peeved if it went off for that price! I'm inclined to go with HH. I give her veg and bits anyway. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible really while keeping her healthy 😏 I suspect that HH may well be better quality than what she has now. I only got it as that was what she was being fed at the pet shop. Having said that, she looks healthy enough and has grown.

Back