Currently available Hamster mixes

The ingredients do sound pretty good overall but I am wondering what “healthy seeds” are 🤔
All ingredients listed on that mealberry link above :)

Oops sorry - you’re right - “healthy seeds” is on the list of ingredients!

I think Bunny Dream dwarf hamster expert is better in that it contains more protein (probably due to the mealworms) but the little one brand has possibly a wider variety of ingredients. Would be good if supplemented. And bunny dream is hard to get hold of these days. Are you going to try it Beryl? Supplements could be mealworms, nuts, freeze dried chicken. It says animal protein twice a week so assume they mean meat!

The ingredients do sound pretty good overall but I am wondering what “healthy seeds” are 🤔
It’s strange isn’t it? It already lists so many healthy seeds like Niger seeds! They could be more specific. It suggests it’s an added product called healthy seeds without listing the ingredients of the added product. Rodipet produce a product called healthy seeds …….

It’s strange isn’t it? It already lists so many healthy seeds like Niger seeds! They could be more specific. It suggests it’s an added product called healthy seeds without listing the ingredients of the added product. Rodipet produce a product called healthy seeds …….
Good detective work there. 🕵️‍♂️

Actually no Rodipets translates as culinary small seeds.

Not helpful saying just healthy seeds if that includes sesame which some people could be allergic to.

It sounds a bit like something Mixerama sell called weed seeds without giving a list of what they are, I did ask about that & wasn’t convinced they were all safe so you never know really.

I bought a bag of the dwarf mix but need to freeze it before i open it.
Low protein doesn't matter because they get mealworms, nuts, eggs, tofu etc anyway.

Thank you all for checking this mix out. I'll let you know what the Robos have to say about it. Lilly is not a reliable tester.

Yes let us know how it goes down. My concern over protein was more about inexperienced owners who think that’s all they need.

It sounds a bit like something Mixerama sell called weed seeds without giving a list of what they are, I did ask about that & wasn’t convinced they were all safe so you never know really.
That was a good idea to ask! So emailed them. No reply as yet.

I haven't looked at Mixerama for ages! So decided to have a look. They seem to list mixes by other manufacturers as well now. Came across this one on Mixerama (but sold by Etsy). It claims 18% protein. Presumably that only works if the hamster likes the mealworms!

I haven't looked at Mixerama for ages! So decided to have a look. They seem to list mixes by other manufacturers as well now. Came across this one on Mixerama (but sold by Etsy). It claims 18% protein. Presumably that only works if the hamster likes the mealworms!

They say you can request not to have mealworms. I am unsure about the lentils in them. I have read they are not suitable in a main hamster mix. I do not know if that is true.

That’s interesting, I haven’t been on Mixerama for a while either so I’ll have to have a look.

RainbowBrite lentils are often included in German type mixes for Syrians but not for dwarf hams usually. I don’t know much about Syrian diets but I think they’re ok.

Ok I have ordered some Hammy's Tuckshop organic mix :) . Before I saw your post Rainbow. It says they dry their own vegetables. I emailed to ask if the strawberries were freeze dried or had preservatives but they look freeze dried. I might regret this because although it didn't seem too expensive for 100g, a bag of Harry Hamster is 700g for about £5 and a 500g bag of the organic mix is £22! I think lentils are ok too. Maybe a bit hard to bite?

Anyway it's this one - suitable for Syrians but probably not for dwarves due to fruit - and I'll report back. It is getting a real hassle trying to get hold of the Bunny Dream mixes for various places. If it turns out Raffy doesn't like mealworms (not sure) I'll have to find other protein.

There's also this dwarf hamster mix Mixerama list which is sold on Etsy from a Uk seller too (bears hamsters). With options for which protein you want in it. It says as there are no fortified vitamins added you might want to mix pellets with it too. That is a good point with the Syrian one as well - they maybe need the added vitamins. I guess a few pellets of science selective could be added (or didn't you mention a powdered vitamin supplement from dr S elusive?)

This is Bear's Hamsters website (the dwarf mix linked above). Seems they do a Syrian one as well - not organic but.

Interesting to hear what you both say about lentils. It was actually a different hamster forum who seemed to be anti lentils in the main mix but I never knew why. Orko does not like lentils anyway. He had them as part of his main mix to begin with.

Back