Dusty the Robo dwarf hamster.

But he did accept your finger on his back before, so he'll be getting used to it :-) It's a bit of time with that - leave it a bit, do it again for a bit, until they get used to it. Although some hamsters never do particularly like being handled for long. Even my Syrian is like that. He's friendly and will come into a tube when I offer it. He'll accept being picked up but doesn't like it and won't sit for more than about 5 seconds for a stroke before he wants to be off again.

Dusty is so cute - they really are fast and frantic :-) I miss having a Robo!

That really is progress - he’s walking from hand to hand :). I love watching him whizzing so fast - when he shot off into his coconut. It’s like they’re saying - ooh I was really brave there on the hand - and then - panic - run away 🤣

That really is progress - he’s walking from hand to hand :). I love watching him whizzing so fast - when he shot off into his coconut. It’s like they’re saying - ooh I was really brave there on the hand - and then - panic - run away 🤣
Yes, that was nice and he didn't run away from my hand as soon as the treats were gone. He just sat there for a second....which is a long time for a Robo.....LOL!
Whizzing around is what he does for sure!

A second really is a long time for a Robo 🤣 They are great fun to watch though aren't they?

Yes they are a lot of fun to watch. I like that he is out several times a day. He has been out around 1am, 3am, 6 to 7 am, 10am to 12pm, 1-3pm, 4 - 6 pm, 9 to 10pm. Not all the same day....but those are the times of day I have seen him out. It is nice my cameras I have in the cage give me a motion alert when he is out. Sometimes by the time I get the alert and look in his cage he is already gone. LOL!

Dusty is a little treasure, you handle him so well! He's the calmest Robo I have seen. Does he have a favorite treat?
He likes what I offer and that is green pumpkin seeds and shelled sunflower seeds. He is getting so he leaves whole sunflower seeds and won't open them to take them. I guess he waits for me to offer the shelled seeds. LOL! Sometimes I put some of his regular seed mix in my hand and he takes that too. I stopped giving him raw bits of carrot as he stopped taking them when I left them out in his cage. He does take the dried carrot in his foraging mix. I have no prior experience with hamsters at all, much less a Robo. So I appreciate everyone's comments on Dusty. :) I think we got him very young. He has grown since we got him. But not much, he is still so little.

It's lovely seeing the progress :-) He even let you edge him into the bowl a bit :-) He seems to accept being stroked for a few seconds and then tries to see you off 🤣 Which is fairly typical. But still amazing he accepts a stroke.

Yes, I was reading his body language about when I should stop petting him. Being my first hamster I probably don't appreciate this progress and how great he is acting. But I sure am appreciating his accepting me. It is probably something you cannot see on the videos but if I put my hand in the cage where he cannot go straight to the seeds he puts both front paws on my hand and nips me. As if to say.....hey, this is wrong, I don't see the seeds yet, where are they. Unless he is saying Hey, I don't want the big thing in my cage, it has nothing for me. LOL! One thing is for sure, he doesn't seem to be afraid of my hand at all.

That is absolutely magical, Dusty is a treasure! He was so calm when you were petting him in his bowl

Dusty is so cute. It’s fantastic he’s happy to be handled and you can stroke him too, so lovely to see. He looks super happy and relaxed 🙂

This time Dusty wanted to 'come see me' by trying to crawl up my arms! LOL! I am so happy he is more trusting and it seems he even likes getting on my hands. I didn't know what to do with him crawling up my arms. I wasn't ready for that! LOL!

Dusty is so cute. It’s fantastic he’s happy to be handled and you can stroke him too, so lovely to see. He looks super happy and relaxed 🙂
He does seem very relaxed around me now. I wonder if Syrian hamsters are the same way? I think I was able to make this much progress with Dusty because he comes out during the day sometimes so I can interact with him. The cameras I have in the cage give me a motion detection alert sound on my phone when he comes out so I can go interact with him. Otherwise I would never know when he comes out. He is very quiet. :)

Back