Guest viewing is limited

Fitch has gone up in price

I decided to order some Kaytee to try but now that it's here, I've realised Fitch is still considerably cheaper. It's difficult to compare prices when beddings are measured by volume, because it all depends on how fluffed up or loosely packed the bedding is when the "expanded volume" is measured. It's easier to compare weights.

An 85l bag of Kaytee weighs 4.9kg, and I bought it from Porton Aquatics for £24.99 per bag. That's £5.10 per kg.

The largest 115l bag of Fitch is reported to weigh 9-10kg, and costs £29.99, so that's £2.99-£3.33 per kg.

I prefer to buy Fitch in the multipacks of 4kg bags for easier storage. A 4 pack of 4kg bags now costs £55, which is £3.44 per kg.

I still think Fitch is outrageously expensive but it is still significantly cheaper than Kaytee.

I decided to order some Kaytee to try but now that it's here, I've realised Fitch is still considerably cheaper. It's difficult to compare prices when beddings are measured by volume, because it all depends on how fluffed up or loosely packed the bedding is when the "expanded volume" is measured. It's easier to compare weights.

An 85l bag of Kaytee weighs 4.9kg, and I bought it from Porton Aquatics for £24.99 per bag. That's £5.10 per kg.

The largest 115l bag of Fitch is reported to weigh 9-10kg, and costs £29.99, so that's £2.99-£3.33 per kg.

I prefer to buy Fitch in the multipacks of 4kg bags for easier storage. A 4 pack of 4kg bags now costs £55, which is £3.44 per kg.

I still think Fitch is outrageously expensive but it is still significantly cheaper than Kaytee.
Thanks for this. You are clever to work this out.

I can't believe how much everything has gone up. I used the last of the fitch which I mixed with left over carefresh. The last time I bought carefresh it was £19.99 for a 60L bag. When I last went into P@H for some hay, the same bag of carefresh was £27.99!

I do think this will push more people to use shavings. I use spruce wood shavings for the pigs. I can get 20kg for £9. It's just crazy.

I can't believe how much everything has gone up. I used the last of the fitch which I mixed with left over carefresh. The last time I bought carefresh it was £19.99 for a 60L bag. When I last went into P@H for some hay, the same bag of carefresh was £27.99!

I do think this will push more people to use shavings. I use spruce wood shavings for the pigs. I can get 20kg for £9. It's just crazy.
Have you ever thought about using a washable bedding for the pigs such as vetbed?

Have you ever thought about using a washable bedding for the pigs such as vetbed?
During the summer months or when they're inside I use fleece liners. Can't do that in the shed at the moment as it's too damp so the fleece won't wick, which is really annoying.

During the summer months or when they're inside I use fleece liners. Can't do that in the shed at the moment as it's too damp so the fleece won't wick, which is really annoying.
I can understand that. I used to use towels with vet bed on the top of them. I did not realise yours were outside so I can see that would not work.

Yes they come inside when I start to struggle to keep them warm in the winter then go out in the spring. If we have a heatwave and I can't keep them cool outside, they'll come inside for a bit. They get the best of both worlds really.

Yes they come inside when I start to struggle to keep them warm in the winter then go out in the spring. If we have a heatwave and I can't keep them cool outside, they'll come inside for a bit. They get the best of both worlds really.
That sounds great. 🙂

Back