New hamster not using wheel!

*WARNING: Sensitive*
Unfortunately it wasn’t good news for Oakley, he was just too weak and far gone (neurologically too, he was unable to walk, moving around in a circle) so the vet recommended we put him down. I’m truly heartbroken and it’s quite a traumatising experience as lost our pet dog of 13 years a 8 months ago so the whole situation is just awful. Thank you all for your kind words and help

Oh that is heartbreaking. I am so sorry. You must have had an instinct that something wasn’t right. It’s such a terrible thing for you as well with a new hamster. Please don’t let this put you off getting another one, but I wouldn’t use the same pet shop next time. He is likely to have already had this when you got him.

Did the vet say it was definitely wet tail?

He was an utterly charming little hamster, looking back over the pictures. You had just enough time to fall in love with him, but sadly things were cut short so quickly. Diarrhoea in young hamsters can kill them very quickly and there isn't more than a few hours to intervene. You were a good owner though and tried your best. Just so sad 😔

Thank you all so so much for keeping Oakley in your thoughts and your kind words. Yes it really has been a tumultuous emotional rollercoaster. I keep looking back over all the videos I took of him and he just seemed so happy, healthy and active and I know he would have been an amazing friend once he was fully settled (wish I could share, seeing him animated, he is even more adorable!) I'm just so so gutted it all got cut short and he never got to live the wonderful life we would have loved to give him. Watching him roll around what would have been his first ever sand bath (he LOVED it!), nibbling on his first ever sprays, experiencing a large, enriched home, all for him - just makes me so sad that he had such a short life. But I really do hope he knows how much he was dearly loved and felt joy, even if so fleeting.

Unfortunately the emergency vet wasn't exotic so there wasn't a full test done, but she knew of wet tail and the signs pointed to that, and she did speak to an exotic vet on the phone who suggested it seemed to be case too. I'm infuriated because yes I guess he must have had it already at the pet shop as I think the incubation is something like 7 days? And thinking about it, him and his littermate were so small, so probably too young to be sold (I'm thinking he must have been brought out to the shop front maybe only recently so then moving again was maybe too much?)

Does anyone have thoughts on the amount of bedding too? It was awful finding him right at the bottom really weak and wriggling out from underneath it all. Does anyone keep bedding lower to begin with and then gradually increase the amount they add in? Maybe again he was too small/weak for it all? Or am I being too critical and it was probably unrelated? Thinking for future reference (although I will definitely need a bit of time before I even think about another hammy as much as I was so ready and excited for Oakley!)

Unfortunately, it is not unheard of for hamsters from pet shops to suffer with wet tail. From what you have said, it is likely he was too young to be sold. It is very unfair but there is nothing you could have done differently. You have Oakley such an amazing home. You set up his tank beautifully.

Bedding has many air pockets and having deep bedding would not have been detrimental. If anything, it would have helped to make him feel safe. I understand how heart breaking it is to have to dig through the bedding and then to have found him. I have been through that myself with 13 inches of bedding.

Please do not blame yourself. You gave Oakley such a beautiful and loving home. You clearly spent a lot of time researching hamsters needs and you planned everything so carefully. Loosing Oakley is so sad and painful for you but this is not a reflection on you at all.

Unfortunately, it is not unheard of for hamsters from pet shops to suffer with wet tail. From what you have said, it is likely he was too young to be sold. It is very unfair but there is nothing you could have done differently. You have Oakley such an amazing home. You set up his tank beautifully.

Bedding has many air pockets and having deep bedding would not have been detrimental. If anything, it would have helped to make him feel safe. I understand how heart breaking it is to have to dig through the bedding and then to have found him. I have been through that myself with 13 inches of bedding.

Please do not blame yourself. You gave Oakley such a beautiful and loving home. You clearly spent a lot of time researching hamsters needs and you planned everything so carefully. Loosing Oakley is so sad and painful for you but this is not a reflection on you at all.
Thank you so so much for your reassuring words, it helps a lot. Yes I know that about pet stops and there's always an inner guilt feeling like you're "supporting" them, I really will think carefully for next time.

I'm so sorry you had to experience that too, it really is awfully traumatic.

I actually did wonder the same with the bedding too - you're right, as a prey animal, he would have preferred to be sheltered and actually probably stopped coming up when he started feeling weak. Time to hold strong now, hope he remembered his happy moments and our love at the end and think positively for the future.

Thanks again all ❤️

Thank you so so much for your reassuring words, it helps a lot. Yes I know that about pet stops and there's always an inner guilt feeling like you're "supporting" them, I really will think carefully for next time.

I'm so sorry you had to experience that too, it really is awfully traumatic.

I actually did wonder the same with the bedding too - you're right, as a prey animal, he would have preferred to be sheltered and actually probably stopped coming up when he started feeling weak. Time to hold strong now, hope he remembered his happy moments and our love at the end and think positively for the future.

Thanks again all ❤️
You are so welcome. Please carry on posting for support if you wish to because we all understand what you are going through. ❤️

It is really heartbreaking and so unfair. He had a lovely time and home with you in his short life.

I do hope you will think about getting another one as it helps. When the time is right - and you got such a good cage etc. Some rescues have litters of younger ones and they are looked after and given vet treatment if needed. I’ve always thought any hamster who is healthy in a rescue has survived a lot so will have good genes.

I have never been so unfortunate as to have a hamster die young but I know others have.

Hi again all, does anyone have any recommendations on how best to disinfect and clean the enclosure and supplies? The plastic, glass and ceramic items will be easy enough (I plan to soak in hot soapy/pet-safe disinfectant water, scrub, rinse and wipe dry). But what about the wooden items such as the wood log (it’s the Hugro Gravel Mountain tunnel - pure birch apparently), vine wood, platforms, multi-chamber, coconut & seagrass hides, bendy & other wood bridges? There seems to be mixed thoughts about how to best go about it. If it’s at all possible, I would love, love, love to be able to disinfect and reuse them as was a big chunk of the set-up and quite costly - especially as a few from Getzoo which I’m sure some of you will know is so expensive with shipping, etc.! Could I potentially soak these in soap/disinfectant mixture then dry/bake in oven for 30 mins at 100•C? And then leave everything inhabited for 2/3 weeks, a month? As heartbroken as we are, we would love to get another hamster at some point but realistically looking at after this timeframe anyway.

I have of course thrown away all the bedding, used chew toys, food, treats, etc. that were in the enclosure. And will make sure to give the whole surrounding area, any storage supplies, jars, etc. a clean too.

So glad you are going to get a hamster again and are slowly making preparations ❤️ I am not 100% sure, but slow baking sounds like a good idea. It might not even be necessary to wash the cork logs, the heat should kill bacteria and viruses on or in the wood. Perhaps write up a plan and then slowly go through it as the mental pain can make these things more difficult, taking breaks for cups of tea or TV as needed.

I used a disinfectant called F10 because vets use it and I trust this brand. I used this to clean the cage. With the wooden items I put them in the oven for 45 minutes on the lowest heat and after 45 minutes I turned the oven off and left them there until they cooled.

After I disinfected everything I adopted my current hamster one month later.

I am very happy you are thinking of getting another hamster again. Just to let you know, I am also in London and adopted my hamster from India's hamster rescue. The owner of the rescue drove half way here as they are based in Kent.

As Rainbow says, any wood items (like branches and cork logs) can be baked to disinfect them. 100 degrees centigrade for 30 to 45 minutes. Any hotter or any longer and they could smell burned. I think it would be a good idea to give them a good soak in very hot water before putting them in the oven, then they will effectively steam and the water will give them a good rinse as well.

For smooth wood items like houses and platforms, I just wash them. You could give them a light spray with disinfectant then wash them with a sponge with some water and fairy liquid, then rinse it off. After they are dry, you can plastikote them. This is petsafe waterproofing paint that seals them so they are easy to wipe clean or disinfect in future.

Any suitable small pet disinfectant would do. I haven't tried F10 but that is supposed to be good. I have used the Johnsons or Beaphar small pet disinfectants. There is also one called Safe4pets which is odourless. Just get whichever is easiest. I prefer the Beaphar but find it hard to get hold of these days. It's one a vet recommended.

Seagrass hides and bendy bridges are a bit trickier. You could bake them. Personally I tend to chuck bendy bridges in these situations because they have bark and crevices. I have a smooth bendy bridge I scrubbed in the gaps with a toothbrush but it was a pain and you can't really do that with the bark one. I would think seagrass would be ok to bake.

Back