New wooden hamster home, what to treat with?

It can be handy to have some sandpaper too in case there are any rough or splintery bits - but the plastikote does well at smoothing those over too. Since I've had hamsters I've acquired things like sandpaper and a small saw!

Are you going to paint the outside as well as the inside? Just thinking it could take quite a few bottles of plastikote and wondering if there is a cheaper solution.

Rainbow how much did yours cost and how many tins did you need. I remember you said that was recommended by the person who made the cage as being hamster safe.

In fact the more I think about it - it woukd be much cheaper to use the “Home” pet safe wood sealer! At £4 a bottle you could spend a lot of money on plastikote.

How did you paint that one on Rainbow? It looks like solid wax in the tin!

There’s this one from Rodipet as well but I’m not sure how big the tin is or how far it would go - plus the postage is about £8 as well. It says coverage up to 5 square metres.

I thought it was plastikote that had been ordered? (Previous page). So the Home one is liquid then? It looks like solid wax in the tin!

Yes. I think so. I did not find it hard to use at all.

Reactions: Maz
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I used linseed oil on old furniture after stripping the paint off. It gives it a nice finish but i wouldn't say that it water proofs the wood. It's more a matter of nourishing the wood.
Linseed oil is not something i'd use or rely on for a hamster cage. You need to protect the wood with a petsafe wood sealer. Once urine soaks into wood it is almost impossible to remove the smell. The white vinegar and hot water solution is for cleaning and trying to remove that smell.
Hi, sorry just seeing this now. That's great,thanks for the advice! Takes a bit of research and homework to get the right thing, but I'm now looking forward to building and painting! Thanks everyone!! 😁 x

Really it’s only the floor and maybe a foot up the sides from the floor that need waterproofing. Maybe any shelf used as well.

Really it’s only the floor and maybe a foot up the sides from the floor that need waterproofing. Maybe any shelf used as well.
I guess if I knew where it's toilet corner will be..that would be handy! a foot sounds a lot,as in 12 inches? 😁

• Haha
I painted by whole cage just to make sure it was all water proof. I thought it would be safest.😀

I painted by whole cage just to make sure it was all water proof. I thought it would be safest.😀
He he..yeah probably best bet! This new home is huge, wow, it may take some amount of painting....wonder if I should have gone with the hamster homes wax..hard to tell online what to buy isn't it? Will keep going with the plastikote for now 🙂 thanks x

He he..yeah probably best bet! This new home is huge, wow, it may take some amount of painting....wonder if I should have gone with the hamster homes wax..hard to tell online what to buy isn't it? Will keep going with the plastikote for now 🙂 thanks x
It is. I think you will only know how much you need when you start painting. Best of luck.😀

Let us know how far a pot of plastikote goes! I reckon it might take one and a half to cover the floor with a coat - at a guess. Maybe less - it does spread well. Yes I meant about 12" up the sides - maybe 6" would be fine though :) . It might depend how much bedding you're having - I was thinking any sides under bedding level could be best to be done in case they pee at one side of the cage near the edge. Although that's unlikely. Its really just the floor that's important to waterproof really. Although the floor of my barred cage stays clean! With 6" bedding and a litter tray in the house and sand bath.

I think these things only get pee stained when there's not much bedding.

I probably wouldn't bother to paint the whole inside if it was me. But then if you ever wanted to re- use it for another hamster it would be easier to wipe down the painted surfaces.

Actually - easier would be - just paint the floor and 6 to 12" up the sides. Then if you ever want to reuse it for another hamster, then paint the whole inside! Because any hamster scent would wear off when aired a bit and painting after would seal it to prevent any scent.

Let us know how far a pot of plastikote goes! I reckon it might take one and a half to cover the floor with a coat - at a guess. Maybe less - it does spread well. Yes I meant about 12" up the sides - maybe 6" would be fine though :) . It might depend how much bedding you're having - I was thinking any sides under bedding level could be best to be done in case they pee at one side of the cage near the edge. Although that's unlikely. Its really just the floor that's important to waterproof really. Although the floor of my barred cage stays clean! With 6" bedding and a litter tray in the house and sand bath.

I think these things only get pee stained when there's not much bedding.

I probably wouldn't bother to paint the whole inside if it was me. But then if you ever wanted to re- use it for another hamster it would be easier to wipe down the painted surfaces.

Actually - easier would be - just paint the floor and 6 to 12" up the sides. Then if you ever want to reuse it for another hamster, then paint the whole inside! Because any hamster scent would wear off when aired a bit and painting after would seal it to prevent any scent.
Right,I've used my 2 pots of plastikote and I think it might be ok!? 😁
I've done all the edges and shelves and corners especially. The very bottom floor is made of a wipeable metal type sheet so that helps! My living room looks wild,ha ha! X

Well done! That is great. I think they say at least two coats of plastikote to form a waterproof layer. :)

Excellent! That's good the floor of it doesn't need doing. Two coats is usual but I've sometimes just used one. Still makes it wipe clean.

I'm sure it'll be fine :)

Back