New wooden hamster home, what to treat with?

Do you know where you are getting your hamster from? There are some recommended rescues on the forum. :)

Do you know where you are getting your hamster from? There are some recommended rescues on the forum. :)
I didn't see any rescue information on the forum.. I would like to rehome but they have such short lives, sspca page had a few that were already 2 years old.

en-gb.facebook.com
https://en-gb.facebook.com › groups
Hamster Rescue Scotland Network

I am not sure if these ones are helpful. The listed rescues were not in Scotland so would be far for you.
Thanks, I've looked online before for rescues as I was keen on guinea pigs but my hayfever is a bit of a pest...I usually look on sspca website as they have many branches but like I said the hamsters I've seen are in their last months of life 😪 x

Thanks, I've looked online before for rescues as I was keen on guinea pigs but my hayfever is a bit of a pest...I usually look on sspca website as they have many branches but like I said the hamsters I've seen are in their last months of life 😪 x
Aw I adore guinea pigs but the hay is impossible when having hay fever. I understand that. If you google hamster rescues in Scotland quite a few pop up.

I know what you mean about rescues having short lives. I had a one year old syrian rescue, but I did have another Syrian as well at the same time, so still had a hamster in my life when the rescue died a year later. Some rescues have hamsters of all ages including litters and babies to rehome. Rescues vary as to how they work. There are also people wanting to rehome quite young hamsters, or unwanted litters, on places like Gumtree and Pets 4 Homes - but whenever I look there is never much in my area and the few that are, are a long way away.

I believe there's an NHC breeder in Scotland too - not sure if she's still breeding.

Do you know if you want a Syrian or dwarf hamster? I like to have one of each lol!

I think wee Pam is not a young Robo - they get that raggedy look as they get older. I can quite understand eksarah wanting to have a hamster from young and see them grow up :) Some people prefer Syrians because they're easier to handle as well (although I may start a debate there! Whether or not Syrians are the easiest to handle!). I love having a robo. But I love having a Syrian too - completely different experience.

Do you know if you want a Syrian or dwarf hamster? I like to have one of each lol!
We're going for another chunky Syrian, same as we had before. Since I've bought the huge cage think it'd be best suited to the large space! Yes, I know what you mean about "easiest to handle', our Russian dwarf hamsters were much easier to handle! 😀 spotted some lovely ones in the pet shop last night so we may be heading back there today! x

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Can't wait to meet your new Syrian! Yes other Russian dwarf hamster owners have said they are just as easy to handle as Syrians, so maybe it's a myth that they aren't! I haven't had one - yet!

Bob is here! He's quite similar in colour to our last hamster,a little lighter though. He's loving the massive wheel in his new palace and has been running lots!! 😁

Attachments

• received_467567038876672.jpeg
    received_467567038876672.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 8
Welcome beautiful Bob! He is gorgeous. You may like to start a diary for him in the Syrian section were you can post his adventures. I would love to read it if you do. :)

He certainly is gorgeous! Looking forward to hearing more about him :)

Back