No name yet

Veer

Reaction score
Well, i have Hammie, a russian dwarf hamster who is about 20 months old now.
And now we have Ukkie (translation is something like little one)
We picked him up at a pet store yesterday, and haven't decided on a name yet, but Ukkie is a good name for now.
I was thinking about a second hamster because of the regulations here in the netherlands (all dwarf hamsters besides the chinese are forbidden to breed and sell if they are born after 1st july, wich means that in a few months we cannot buy youngsters anymore) and recently decided against getting a second one.
but we were in a pet store yesterday and this little guy, about 10 weeks old was running and jumping in front of the glass window in his little prison. No sandbath, no wheel, no deep bedding, only 2 houses food and a waterbottle.
Well, we couldn't say no to him.
We still had the duna multi maxi 100x50x36cm and i made a home for him in it.
this is the little boy. He isn't hand tame yet and screeches when i open up the top, but everytime i open it i put a mealworm down for him, so hopefully he will learn that opening the top means jummy food.
In the pet store he was fed poor quality rodent food and the store smelled very bad.
He now is in our bedroom with lots of fresh air and a good foodmixture with bunny expert dwarfhamster, little one and science selective. He did not eat from the mix yet, but i did see him drink and he took some science selective pellets.
He is very fast and skittish, but also very curious and happy with his new environment. Welcome Ukkie!

20240915_071910.jpg

20240915_065859.jpg

20240914_170046.jpg

Screenshot_20240914_154059_Gallery.jpg

20240914_145238.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He's absolutely gorgeous! I particularly love the second and fourth photos of him :-) Congratulations. He has a lovely home now.

Thank you, i think i am in love with him already. He is so cute. Hope he will get used to his new home soon, for now i let him be, i only put some snacks down for him and talk to him when he walks around in his cage.

Reactions: Maz
I think I'm in love with him too ha ha. His little face on that fourth photo :)

Are you looking for name suggestions?

What a lovely enclosure he has. Lots to do and plenty of hiding places.

Thank you!
I think we will find a name that fits him, when we get to know him better.
For now it is Ukkie.

Thank you!
I am thinking about a new cage for him, bit a tank style cage isn't possible because i have to place it upstairs and i don't think i can get a tank upstairs.
What do you think, is the duna he lives in now good enough? Or could a savic plaza 100 be better? I worry about the bars (climbing and falling and the barspace?) but i think it has a bit more height and a front opening door.
How much bedding can be used in the savic plaza?
Also, he is in the bedroom and i have a window open most of the time.
The duna helps against drafts, but with the savic it might get too cold for him.

I think he'll be fine in the maxi duna - he has a lovely set up in there. I wouldn't upgrade him too quickly while he's settling in anyway. The Savic Plaza is tricky to set up with deeper bedding. Without deeper bedding it's too tall really and there are fall risks. What I did for my Robo was add deep perspex panels to the inside and a piece of perspex I slotted across the front inside of the door (which effectively made the door less tall, but it was fine and the panel was easily removable). Which gave about 30cm of bedding and a low height cage. However the perspex can get expensive and without 30cm of bedding, the cage is a bit too high and has fall risks.

P7090176.jpg

There is also the new Omlet cage which holds 30cm of bedding - however it's not quite as big as the current maxi Duna at 4773 square cms as opposed to the maxi duna of about 5098 square cms.

It's a good sized cage though and no adaptations needed :) It's not cheap - but it does come with a 27cm silent wheel that attaches to the bars, and two large cardboard multiroom houses. It actually has slightly more floorspace than the Savic Plaza. It's like a maxi duna with bars on top and a front opening door - but not quite as big as the maxi duna (but equivalent to a Savic Plaza in terms of floorspace as the perspex goes right to the edges). It also has narrow 8mm bar spacing and the barred section is not too large for lifting off.

I just reviewed it here if you want more info, and Swampystorm has one for their winter white.

IMG_2199 jpeg-Photoroom.png

This could be a good option for you for upstairs :-) It dismantles as cages do and isn't too heavy, and is mostly plastic/perspex.

Last edited:
Thank you, the omlet looks good, but i think it is not available in the Netherlands.
For the first few weeks i will keep him in the duna, after that i can maybe switch cages between him and Hammie, so he is in the tank downstairs, and she in the duna upstairs.
She is very tame and she doesn't mind the door at the top.
But maybe in a week or so he will be used to the duna already.

I just managed to have him walk in a small cup with mealworms to check on him and weigh him.
He is 35grams.
After that he jumped out the cup and run across the cabinet. He is sooooo fast!
I picked him up with the cup again and gave him lots of mealworms in it and he settled down after that.
It was an adventure for the little guy.
Will try to get him used to the cup with snacks in it in the next few days/weeks, everything at his pace.

He sounds adorable - it's lovely you have another hammy :)

It looks like the Omlet cage might be available in the Netherlands - I clicked on the NL translation page. I obviously can't read what it says but a 20% off banner flashed up.

Aah i see it now, thank you!
It is quite expensive for what it is, will think about it.

It is expensive yes. It does include a 27cm silent wheel which mitigates the cost a bit for anyone who doesn't have a wheel as that is usually extra cost, but you probably already have a wheel :-) It does still seem to have 20% off in the Netherlands at the moment though.

do you think the omlet is a better option then the Duna he is in now?

That's a difficult question! I don't know - the Duna is a bit bigger and you might notice the difference. But the Omlet you can get more bedding in. He looks so happy in the Duna and it's such a lovely set up, I'd be tempted to leave him in it.

On the other hand, you'd gain a bit of floorspace with the wheel attached to the bars in the Omlet and deeper bedding can be nice. I think they need at least 3 weeks before a cage change though, when you've just got him :-)

Congrats on the new hamster, I think Ukkie is a great name for him! I love the 3rd picture of him so much, the way he's peeking out of the log is fantastic.

• Love
Back