No name yet

Maybe he would.... :)
He is with us for almost 2 weeks now. Shouldn't he be gaining weight at this age?
He was about 10 weeks old when we picked him up, he then weighed 35grams and still does. Is this ok?

It sounds ok to me - they sometimes grow gradually or in spurts.

I don't know how to start the taming with him. In the first few days he was very fast, but also curious, he walked into a cup to eat a mealworm, and would walk on my hand from there, or just walked over my hand when i put it in his cage.
But since a couple days, he is a bit more skittish. He hides underneath the cork or in a house when i try the cup or put my hand in.
I don't know what caused this change with him, maybe i went to fast?
How do you do the taming?
I have read that a full cage will give them hiding opportunites and make them feel safe, but now he only seems to hide.
How can i get him curious again, instead of hiding when i open the cage?
I haven't been able to take him out (besides weighing him in the cup twice) because he is too fast and not used to handling.
Should i let him be and just sit next to the cage and talk to him when he is awake and let him be?
Or should i take some hiding places out maybe? I want him to feel safe in his home, bit i feel that the hiding options do not help him overcome his fear maybe.

Sometimes it's a case of waiting for them to start wanting to come out. Do you have a playpen? Once he's been in a playpen he might be keen on coming out again once he's in the habit of going in a playpen :-)

I don't have a playpen. I take Hammie out on the sofa or bed, but for Ukkie thatvisn't safe because he is so very fast and skittish.
What is a suitable playpen? Preferable one that can easily be folded to put away?

Maz has reviewed the Omlet playpen, it's a very good option and folds up well. Not sure if it's being sold in Europe. It's proof and spacious.

It's a bit expensive as well! Do you have a bath? You could just start with the dry bathtub, with the plug in and a blanket on the bottom and the odd tunnel and hide and a wheel or saucer :)

Oh ok :) Well I wouldn't recommend the wood Skyline run that Zooplus sell - they used to be good but I had two that were very rough and splintery and one didn't even fit together - they've gone downhill basically.

The Omlet ones are great - if you can get them. They do a huge one or a smaller square one.

They're not cheap though. Even the smaller one is £59

A cheap option are the songmics type ones - they are not that easy for taking up and down each time but could be good if you have space to leave one up all the time. You can have them smaller by only using some of the panels and not all of them.

Songmics playpen

Thank you, i will think about the omlet.
Just now when he was awake he heard me and came and look to see what was going on. I talked to him and gave him a mealworm from my hand and he accepted it.

Also, he is a crazy little guy.
He was running in his wheel and after a while he stopped, started grooming himself, and it looked like he tried to bath in the wheel.
I have it on camera, will see if i can upload it later.

He's so cute! It looks like he's just stopping to groom now and then. Maybe he's claiming/scent marking his wheel :-)

I think you might be right about the marking. Silly boy!
He gets a foodmix with science selective, little one and Bunny, but he burries the bowl with the seedmix in it, and hardly eats any off it, he does eat the science selective.
Is that ok for him as basefood?

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Yes it's fine :-) They sometimes don't seem to eat much but they hoard what they take and snack from their hoards when they feel like it :-)

Maybe he would.... :)
He is with us for almost 2 weeks now. Shouldn't he be gaining weight at this age?
He was about 10 weeks old when we picked him up, he then weighed 35grams and still does. Is this ok?

35 grams is okay, it's the on the low end of a healthy weight for a winter white. 35-70 grams is where they should be in captivity. If you're concerned or your ham dips lower consider giving it extra protein. I had this problem with my ham and he needed a little extra each day.

Reactions: Maz
He's not fully grown yet though I think so it's a good weight for his age :-)

Today 39gram, he is gaining some weight slowly.
He still does not like the seedmix (Bunny and Little one) i have weighed the bowl with foodmix and he did not take any of it,he just puts bedding on top of the full bowl.
I thought they always prefered the seedmixes, but he only takes the science selective nuggets and some mealworms.

Good job with him! Sometimes new hamsters take a while to adjust to a new diet, he's sticking with what he knows. I would keep offering the mix each day for another week or two in addition to pellets and mealworms.

Last edited:
Back