russian dwarf hamster losing weight

I would go for a warmer light too rather than bright white.
My room can be very dark & like Rainbow I put a light on if I need it but don’t keep one on otherwise.
One of my cages is in quite a dark corner at the north end of the room which gets very little light & it’s never been a problem with any of the hamsters that lived there.
If you do go with a lamp or light on try to keep it to daylight hours, they do respond to the seasons & it helps with their natural rhythms although many of us have lights on in the same room as the hamsters you don’t need constant light beyond daylight hours.

44gr this morning.
I managed to look at her teeth and take some pictures. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20231020_092636.jpg
    20231020_092636.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231020_092545.jpg
    20231020_092545.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 9
I must admit I’m not the best at judging teeth but they look ok to me, I guess they could be slightly long but possibly not, they don’t look too curved either & there’s no sign of any damage to the area around the nose which you often see with over grown teeth, they look a little pale or whiter than they maybe should be (that could just be the photo though).
If she’s 44g now then am I right thinking she’s losing weight again? I’m losting track a bit sorry!
Having the light on her cage might have stressed her a bit & changing what food you’re giving her, going from just pellets back to pellets & seed mix could be stressing her a bit too possibly.
She’s still a healthy enough weight at 44g so I would just keep giving her what she likes, the bunny mix along with some pellets, avoid disturbing her hoard for a while & see how she goes, give it about a week maybe then check her weight again.
If she’s still losing weight then I can’t think of any other reasons so it might be worth having a vet check her over.

It is hard to judge the teeth right?
I do see her nibble from her whimzee, so maybe that is a sign that her teeth are ok?
If she was in pain i think she wouldn't do that... or maybe she would ?
I will continue with unlimited Beaphar and 1 teaspoon Bunny mix every evening (she now has a big hoard i think) and will see in the next week how she does when she settles down with the new routine.
I took the bright light away and have the floorlamp on near the cage. It has yrllow light and is on from 7.00 till 22.00.

It is hard to tell. They look in good condition to me too, although maybe the bottom teeth might be a bit long, but one way to check that is see if she can get a certain sized piece of food in her mouth easily. You say she nibbles at her whimzee. If you gave her, say, a small cookie or a nut - would she be able to pick it up in her teeth?

I will try if she can take a pumpkinseed, or can i try a piece of dry pasta?
she loves these. She does take the Beaphar, but stuffs it in her cheeks and if she eats it, it is in her house.

Maybe try something slightly bigger than a pumpkin seed. I'm thinking something she needs to open her mouth a bit for. With a Syrian it's easy to check - if they can't pick up a monkey nut (peanuts in shell) but that would be a bit large for a dwarf to pick up anyway. I'm trying to think of something she wouldn't be able to resist and would want to pick up and rush off with straight away! How about half a walnut?

I had her out just now and gave her some snacks. First a small peanut, she stuffed it right in her cheek. Then a pumpkinseed (then i dropped the camera) after that another peanut again.....
Do you think her teeth are ok?
( i hope the video is working)

Hmm - I'd like to see her picking up a whole monkey nut in her teeth! Pouching can bypass the teeth I think!). Thanks Frida! If Albert can do it then other russian dwarf's can do it!

You can upload the video to youtube then paste a link here.

Reactions: Maz
I hope the video shows.
It is so hard, she is my firat hamster ans i worry about her all the time, especially now she is loosing weight.

She is so cute! I can view the video just fine. Others with more experience will be able to comment on her biting the treats. :)

The video is working fine now.

She looks as though she’s managing to chew that pumpkin seed ok & she got the peanut into her mouth pretty quick!
It doesn’t look as though she’s having a problem with her teeth to me.

It’s lovely to see her too, she’s beautiful 😍

She looks a healthy weight in the video, and 44g is also a reasonable weight for a dwarf hamster. Looking back at your original post, it seems like she's only lost 4/5g overall (with fluctations up into the 50s) which is within the range of natural fluctuations really. I think in the absence of any other signs of illness I wouldn't be too worried but just keep an eye on her and continue to weigh her regularly.

My past hamster Bramble's weight fluctuated quite a bit throughout her lifespan. During her first few weeks with me (when she was already an adult) she got quite chubby and reached about 45-50g. Then during her first winter she lost lots of weight, got rather skinny, and worried me so much (I think she got down to about 20g!) but she regained some of that weight in the spring. Then for the rest of her life she remained about 30g and lived to 2.5.

Back