Setting up for a new hammie 😬

Emx93

Hamster Legend
Reaction score
So the home improvements are nowhere near 'finished' but at a level where a new little friend might be workable 🤪
Soooo I may have started getting set up again 🙈🙈
Cage- savic plaza
Wheel- I have a 28cm trixie plastic which I never used with charmander but I'm unsure whether to order another wooden one 🙈
Bedding- I've gone for clean n cozy this time as fitch seems to have exploded in price. Got an 84l white bag already in the cage but there's definitely room for more so I've just ordered a 49l natural bag too.
Stuff that I'm reusing- multichamber hide from happy Henry homes, shelf, sand bath, dig boxes
Here's some of the stuff I've ordered, please remind me if I'm missing anything!
Sunflower spray, carthamus spray, dried poppy stem, sphorgham spray, moss chunks, walnuts and pine cones from little sprouts.
Screenshot_20230809-171319_Gmail.jpgScreenshot_20230809-171311_Gmail.jpgScreenshot_20230809-171256_Gmail.jpgScreenshot_20230815-215208_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230815-215153_Chrome.jpg

Looks good to me! Will it all fit? 😆 Although anything that doesn't fit, you can use in the playpen. Are you going to have some kind of thing round the bars for deeper bedding? Exciting!

That all looks great! I am very happy for you.

Just to say, it works out cheaper buying the 85 kaytee bags and do not forget you always need extra bedding after spot cleaning.😊
Thabkyou- I will remember to stick with the 85l bags in future 🙈

I'm trying hard to think of something you've missed. A corner toilet?

Looking forward to see your set up and meet your new hamster.
We don't have a toilet corner 😬 maple used the sand bath and charmander used a part of the burrow which meant I usually destroyed half his tunnels spot cleaning 😳 how do I set up a toilet corner? 😄

I have missed a container for the coco coir 🤣

Looks good to me! Will it all fit? 😆 Although anything that doesn't fit, you can use in the playpen. Are you going to have some kind of thing round the bars for deeper bedding? Exciting!
Not sure if it'll fit haha but as you say if it doesn't it'll be good for playpen time 😉 I have the grass mats attached to the bars for deeper bedding 😁 I'm struggling for somewhere to put the coco soil once I've got a container for it 😳 debating if putting it under the carrot House would work 🤣

I'm also debating a terecotta plant pot as a hide and a terecotta saucer for food/ texture has anyone used one? I used a terecotta plant pot for my tortoise hide when he was a baby and he loved it 😁

I use a terracotta plant pot base type thing as a large food dish and somewhere to sit. All sounds great! Sometimes it's only when you come to set up the cage you have ideas for some things - eg where to put coco soil. Which Happy Henry homes house is it? I would put a corner litter tray inside the house.

I use a terracotta plant pot base type thing as a large food dish and somewhere to sit. All sounds great! Sometimes it's only when you come to set up the cage you have ideas for some things - eg where to put coco soil. Which Happy Henry homes house is it? I would put a corner litter tray inside the house.
This is a photo from when we first set up for charmander, I can't remember the name of the house but it's that one at the back haha 😆 it has 3 Chambers and a lid 🤔
20220531_163734.jpg

If it has three chambers then you can probably fit a corner litter tray in one of them :) .

If it has three chambers then you can probably fit a corner litter tray in one of them :) .
Sounds like a plan- thankyou ☺️ is there anything specific I should use as 'litter' or just normal bedding?

That all sounds really great!
I’ve used terracotta flower pots as hides & my hams liked them.

Most people use sand in toilets and then you can scoop pee clumps out with a little litter scoop.
Only thing not to use are the litter granules sold for that purpose. Apparently they can be harmful if ingested.

Most people use sand in toilets and then you can scoop pee clumps out with a little litter scoop.
Only thing not to use are the litter granules sold for that purpose. Apparently they can be harmful if ingested.
Will definitely avoid 'litter' and use sand- thankyou 😊

The corner toilet and a Pyrex dish for coco soil is on order 😏 the cheapest place for terracotta seems to be b and q but since I don't want to pay £8 for delivery I think I will pop in on my way to work one night this week! 🥰
Things I'm debating for playpen time- more dig boxes, saucer wheel, maze, more hides, will see what doesn't fit when everything arrives! 🤔
As a side note my hopeshealthytreats order was dispatched on Monday and isn't here yet... is this normal? There's no tracking information it just says fulfilled. 🥴 also ordered some bears hamsters food on the 9th and that hasn't actually dispatched yet 😬

Delivery is always expensive for terracotta so it’s great if you can get it locally.
I like all your ideas for the play pen, you’ll probably have things that won’t fit in the cage so I’m sure that will add to it too.
I’ve never ordered from Hopeshealthytreats but when.I was looking there I did notice that there were reviews saying delivery was slow or late so you might have a bit of a wait there too.
Not sure about the hamster food either but you should be able to contact the seller if that’s on Etsy. It does seem like a long wait.

Delivery is always expensive for terracotta so it’s great if you can get it locally.
I like all your ideas for the play pen, you’ll probably have things that won’t fit in the cage so I’m sure that will add to it too.
I’ve never ordered from Hopeshealthytreats but when.I was looking there I did notice that there were reviews saying delivery was slow or late so you might have a bit of a wait there too.
Not sure about the hamster food either but you should be able to contact the seller if that’s on Etsy. It does seem like a long wait.
Thankyou- I've ordered from hopes healthy treats lots of times and never had a problem previously but the dispatched notification did appear Monday evening so hopefully one day this week?
It has a free 1h click and collect option for the terracotta so I think I will do that one day shortly before leaving for work, its a slight detour but not a huge one and definitely worth saving the delivery cost! Anyone with a local b and q- the terracotta is between £1.50 and £4.50 depending on size so definitely seems to be a bargain and I got pebbles (tortoise) terracotta from there so I know it's good ;)

It sounds like it's all coming together! My order from Hope's Healthy treats was quite slow as well. Have you used Bear's mix before? I'm always a bit cautious about some of these home made ones without fortified vitamins, and also how they allow for protein.

Back