Setting up for a new hammie 😬

It sounds like it's all coming together! My order from Hope's Healthy treats was quite slow as well. Have you used Bear's mix before? I'm always a bit cautious about some of these home made ones without fortified vitamins, and also how they allow for protein.
I haven't used before but it was reconmended by happy hamsters so I assumed it would be okay 🤔 I'm thinking of applying to them again but it's a rather long road trip 😬
So obviously still waiting for some stuff to arrive but this is where I've got to so far... going to put coir under the carrot House I think 🤔
Notes- I don't like the wheel? I think I will order another wooden one like maple and charmander had.
- I need another grass mat for the front of the cage.
-need to pick up terracotta.
Other than that... what do you think so far? Constructive criticism appreciated :)
20230816_194140.jpg

I think it looks great too :) I love all the sprays at the back. Is that a shelf in the back left corner? My only suggestion would be about the hanging sputnik. I find those hamster sized ones a bit on the small side for Syrians and I use the rat sized ones with some bedding in them. Apart from anything else, the rat sized ones hang lower so they can climb in easier eg from a house roof. I can't quite tell if it's next to the house or not?

I do love seeing other peoples set ups as mine tend to always look the same each time ha ha. Would the wheel fit in at the side of the cage at the same end or not? Which wood wheel were you thinking of getting?

I think it looks great too :) I love all the sprays at the back. Is that a shelf in the back left corner? My only suggestion would be about the hanging sputnik. I find those hamster sized ones a bit on the small side for Syrians and I use the rat sized ones with some bedding in them. Apart from anything else, the rat sized ones hang lower so they can climb in easier eg from a house roof. I can't quite tell if it's next to the house or not?
I will definitely look into the rat sized one- neither maple or charmander really paid that one much attention but it is next to the roof of the multichamber (it's hard to tell as I put moss and forage box or the roof 🙈) it is indeed a shelf with some chews and toys on it, stepped up slightly from the carrot House to reduce fall risk x

I do love seeing other peoples set ups as mine tend to always look the same each time ha ha. Would the wheel fit in at the side of the cage at the same end or not? Which wood wheel were you thinking of getting?
I had the 28cm trixie wooden wheel and attached it to the roof the last two times, it would probably fit on the side if I move the carrot House around :)

You're the second person who has said they fixed the wood trixie wheel to the roof. It was something I was nervous about doing with the Plaza in case it pulled the roof out of it's side slots! But clearly it works if you and Orangetails have both done it sucessfully. I have done it in a different cage before that had a solid barred top. Do you have a photo of when it was fixed to the roof before please? I couldn't quite work it out due to the edge bars!

You're the second person who has said they fixed the wood trixie wheel to the roof. It was something I was nervous about doing with the Plaza in case it pulled the roof out of it's side slots! But clearly it works if you and Orangetails have both done it sucessfully. I have done it in a different cage before that had a solid barred top. Do you have a photo of when it was fixed to the roof before please? I couldn't quite work it out due to the edge bars!
It's fixed to the top in my profile picture 😁 I'll have a dig around to see if I can find any better pictures but we did it with both maple and charmander and never had a problem 😀 I do love the plaza, a little bummed I couldn't find the 120 version but one day hopefully ;)

It's still being sold by Zoar's Ark but they charge blooming £50 for pallet delivery. I thought it had disappeared off there at first but it's just under "Savic Plaza" listing and there is then a drop down menu that lets you choose 100cm or 120cm. I keep asking when it will be more widely available and have been told it should be in about a month's time and also online.

I'll have a dig around to see if I can find any better pictures
Thank you! It's really good to hear it works attached to the roof, because that gives another reasonably priced wheel option for attaching to bars. Some wheels are so expensive now.

I will definitely look into the rat sized one- neither maple or charmander really paid that one much attention but it is next to the roof of the multichamber (it's hard to tell as I put moss and forage box or the roof 🙈) it is indeed a shelf with some chews and toys on it, stepped up slightly from the carrot House to reduce fall risk x
A hamster is going to really love being in there!

It's still being sold by Zoar's Ark but they charge blooming £50 for pallet delivery. I thought it had disappeared off there at first but it's just under "Savic Plaza" listing and there is then a drop down menu that lets you choose 100cm or 120cm. I keep asking when it will be more widely available and have been told it should be in about a month's time and also online.
Oohhh I thought it'd disappeared too! Thats good to know, if hammie settles into the original plaza I probably won't rush to upgrade but i do think it's a fantastic option! Is it only Syrians that can live in the plaza?

I have a Robo in it. I just set it up for him as a kind of retirement bungalow. I bought the perspex for it. (Not full perspex but mostly). He has been in it for 18 months and before that I had shelves and cardboard for bedding panels, but now he's quite old I was worried about him falling. So used the perspex panels, 28cm of bedding in the entire cage and so it's now a low cage with low level climbing :)

There's a video here. It would be fine for any species of hamster as the bar spacing is only about 8mm. That's what I measured anyway! Officially they are 9mm. Some people would be concerned about robos in them though and it wouldn't be suitable for very small or baby robos. Pip had already been in a barred cage before he came to me and Happy Hamsters felt he'd be fine with the Plaza - which he has been.

I don't seem to have one good external photo that shows the set up well, hence the video. It was a real fiddle!

I have a Robo in it. I just set it up for him as a kind of retirement bungalow. I bought the perspex for it. (Not full perspex but mostly). He has been in it for 18 months and before that I had shelves and cardboard for bedding panels, but now he's quite old I was worried about him falling. So used the perspex panels, 28cm of bedding in the entire cage and so it's now a low cage with low level climbing :)

There's a video here. It would be fine for any species of hamster as the bar spacing is only about 8mm. That's what I measured anyway! Officially they are 9mm. Some people would be concerned about robos in them though and it wouldn't be suitable for very small or baby robos. Pip had already been in a barred cage before he came to me and Happy Hamsters felt he'd be fine with the Plaza - which he has been.

I don't seem to have one good external photo that shows the set up well, hence the video. It was a real fiddle!

Ooohhh that looks amazing! I'm just thinking if I do decide to upgrade in the future if this cage is still intact it may be good for a dwarf? I've seen the viking laser full panels and did consider doing it but I'm also considering a detolf investment in the future 🤔 need to win the lottery I think haha 😄 x

The perspex panels add up and make it expensive. I already had two Plaza cages so it was a choice of buying a new lower cage for Pip, or adapting his current plaza - the cost would have been about the same. And I went with adapting his Plaza. I justified the cost of the perspex by telling myself I can use it over and over on cages :)

Looks like this hammies wheel will be slightly different- the clear plastikote was twice as expensive as the white so I've ordered white 🤣

Ooh I like the sound of that!

Back