Substrate

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
Substrate - the stuff for the base of the cage. Not the same as nesting material.

Just starting this to show the range available and their pros and cons.

1) My favourite :) Fitch. Fitch is recycled food grade paper, comes in bales and works out inexpensive. They make different versions so make sure it's the version for small animals. I get the 10kg bag which is about the size of a child's beanbag chair. It comes in an oversized plastic bag so it can be squished into different shapes for storage (I've had it under a chair or squished long and thin between a wardrobe and a wall). The 10kg bag lasts me at least 6 months with two 100cm cages and mainly spot cleaning. However filling the base of a 100cm cage from scratch would use up about a third of it from the outset. They seem to sell via ebay now rather than their own website.

Pros:

i) It is dust free - the only bedding I've ever used with no dust at all.
ii) It's fairly soft so hamsters like it and take bits for their nest as well as nesting material. The odd firmer bit where the paper is more condensed but it's great stuff. I can vary in colour from white to off white, depending on what they've been recyling and also in texture sometimes - more soft or less soft - but always softer than wood shavings! Vast majority of the time it's white and soft.
iii) It holds tunnels quite well.
iv) It's very good value for money and economical.

Cons:

i) It only comes in white! But that doesn't really matter.
ii) You need to find somewhere to store the bag but as mentioned above it can be squished. Plus once you use it the bag gets smaller!
iii) Not easily available - online only.

Fitch.jpg

2) Kaytee clean n cozy. This is very similar to Fitch - it doesn't say what it's made from but it's paper based - possibly cellulose like Carefresh. Usually pretty dust free but I did have a dusty batch once. This comes in compressed bales so easier to store.

Pros:

i) Fairly dust free
ii) Very soft - hamsters like it
iii) Comes in different colours (but it also comes in scented versions so be careful not to get one of those).

Cons:

i) It comes in scented versions - don't buy scented bedding - it's bad for hamsters who have a much stronger sense of smell than us and sensitive respiratory tracts.
ii) Not easily available but can be found online
iii) Not quite as economical as Fitch

Kaytee clean & cozy.jpg

3. Hemp bedding

Pros: Natural, natural look. Fairly good for holding tunnels but that works better if it's mixed with something else (Eg natural colour kaytee clean & cozy). Can be bought in bulk so fairly economical. Nice texture. Zooplus used to sell it but don't think it's available any more to the Uk.

Cons: Quality varies. Hugro hemp is good. Aubiose is popular but can vary I believe. Some people are allergic (it's like hay or grass type thing really).

Rat rations sell Aubiose

Aubiose at Rat Rations

Hugro hemp.jpg

Aubiose.jpg

4) Megazorb - this is a bit like Marmite - people either love it or hate it. It has had a reputation for being a bit dusty sometimes and can have an unusual smell apparently. Made from wood pulp. Can be bought in bulk.

Megazorb.jpg

5) Carefresh. This was hugely popular for a long time, before Fitch came along and before Kaytee Clean & Cozy was easily available in the Uk. It is similar to both of those. I personally find it very dusty - it has a very fine dust and am not keen on the texture. Some people love it. Made from cellulose (a stage further on than wood pulp I believe). I like Fitch because it's paper - most of the others are cellulose or wood pulp.

Pros: Compressed and expands. Comes in various colours.

Cons: Can be dusty - be careful not to get scented versions. Read the label carefully to see it doesn't have any additives for odour control. At one time they added bicarbonate of soda to it and that apparently made some hamsters very ill. I don't think they do that any more, but check the label if it says "odour control" on the front (although that may just be advertising natural odour control).

Carefresh.jpg

6) Finacard. This is soft pieces of cardboard. It's one of the more natural ones. It's not as soft as paper bedding but can work well mixed with Fitch or Kaytee Clean and Cozy for additional texture, a more natural look, variety or to help hold tunnels. Also sold in bulk so works out fairly economical.

Rat Rations sell it or Finacard have their own website. The picture doesn't really do it justice - it looks better than that!

Finacard at Rat Rations

Finacard.jpg

These are the main ones I'm aware of in 2022 - do add more if you know of any that are tried and tested.

NOTE: Pine shavings in the US are not safe - they are not kiln dried as standard, some may be kiln dried but only if it says so on the packet - and it also needs to say dust extracted on the packet. There are much safer substrates than pine, which contains phenols.

In the Uk pine shavings have to be kiln dried by law. However there is no knowing how well they are kiln dried or how effectively phenols have been removed. Kiln drying removes some, but not all, of the phenols. Phenols are harmfull to hamsters. Not all wood shavings are pine either. If it just says "softwood" on the packet, it could be anything - including Cedar. Cedar is a big no no - kiln dried or otherwise - due to extremely high levels of phenols. Always check what wood it is and whether it states it is kiln dried and dust extracted.

Hardwood substrates are fine - eg Aspen (which can be a bit dusty but varies with manufacturers) or beech shavings.

German Chipsi wood shavings are part pine and part spruce. Spruce is equivalent to hardwood and phenols are not an issue - so it's one of the better ones. But again Chipsi have various products including scented versions, so check the label carefully.

There are much better alternatives than pine shavings.

ALLERGY: Hamsters can have allergic reactions to wood substrates, regardless of whether it's hardwood or softwood. Paper is hypoallergenic.

Last edited:
As far as i know Kaytee clean and cozy is also recycled food grade paper and not cellulose like Carefresh.

Aubiose and Megazorb are also available from equestrian supplies shops.

People like myself who dislike shopping online should check small independent pet shops and garden centres.

Both, a small pet shop and a small garden centre close to me stock 85l bags of Kaytee clean and cozy. I didn't expect to find it in a garden centre's small pet section thinking it was all cats and dogs supplies.

I am really not sure what Kaytee Clean and Cozy is. It didn’t used to say on the packet. Does it now? It also changed a few years ago to what it is now.

I do think it’s much better quality bedding than Carefresh, personally.

I love Kaytee clean and cosy but some people now say it is too dusty to use. It is so soft and holds burrows. I have a small bag of Fitch and I put a bit in Orko's cage but it feels hard to me. I know no dust is the most important thing with bedding but shame Kaytee seems to be dusty now.

It never used to be dusty. I had one bag that was dusty a couple of years ago but maybe that was a blip during the height of the pandemic? People using it now would be better to comment on that than me. It is softer than Fitch but Fitch is nice too I think. It’s kind of looser.

My bags were bought ages ago so I am not sure how it is now. Is a bedding dusty if there is a fine coating on the glass of the tank?

There are degrees of dusty. It might leave a fine coating but if it doesn’t seem dusty when you’re handling it then it’s probably not that dusty. I’ve never had any dust with Fitch. Most beddings are not completely dust free I think but there are degrees and perspectives.

Thank you. I saw people say they think Kaytee is dusty due to that and I was puzzled as I get the fine coating but it does not seem dusty to me at all.

Reactions: Maz
I had a bag of carrfresh once and when taking it out of the bag I could see a very fine dust in the air. I wasn’t keen on that so didn’t use it again. Others haven’t had the same experience though.

I've never had a dusty bag of Kaytee and use it all the time.
I think people's perceptions vary as well. Some people even say that sand is dusty when poured but that's the nature of the beast in my opinion.
Good point. I am happy with Komodo sand but have heard some say that is dusty.

I use the Tiny friends farm sand and always have but a lot of people don't seem to like it.

I tried a petsathome reptile sand recently but gave it to a friend who has reptiles. It didn't absorb the urine as well. It left the toilet damp instead of forming easily removed clumps like the Tiny friends sand.

I use the Tiny friends farm sand and always have but a lot of people don't seem to like it.

I tried a petsathome reptile sand recently but gave it to a friend who has reptiles. It didn't absorb the urine as well. It left the toilet damp instead of forming easily removed clumps like the Tiny friends sand.
That is good to know. I see many people say they like reptile sand for their hamsters.

I get a big bag of the JR farm sand from Zooplus but not sure if Zooplus still sell it to the Uk any more. My last bag was a slightly different colour and looked almost identical to Tiny Friends sand!

Sand was a big topic at one point as there are different types of sand and some sand sold for reptiles wasn't suitable for hamsters (but then there are different types sold for reptiles I believe). I'll look into it again to see if there are any issues. I think it was something to do with Quartz sand not being so good. I tried Rodipet sand once which raves it's the best and safest but did find that too fine and dusty.

I haven't heard of anyone having issues using sand for quite a while. Tiny Friends is fine. Some people use childrens play sand but that needs sterilising I believe.

Some people say childrens playsand needs washing, rinsing and then baking.
Someone i know says it only needs baking.
Personally, i'm far too lazy for any of that.

Like with many things, opinions vary.

I think its the reptile sand with calcium that's unsuitable for hamsters.

Basically if it's Chinchilla bathing sand or childrens play sand it's safe for hamsters (must say Chinchilla sand not "dust").

I did a lot of research into this a few years ago but didn't take notes! I personally avoid reptisand and stick with Chinchilla bathing sand. Agree baking childrens play sand is a faff. Although it can work out cheap if bought in bulk. I think it just needs baking to sterilise it. Not sure why you would wash it!

I could never wash, rinse and bake sand. I know I would get it everywhere and cause a huge mess. It is so much easier for me just to buy it.

I agree! I find it bad enough tipping it out of the bag into a litter tray without getting it everywhere! I don't go through it very often either - a bag lasts me months.

The chinchilla dust in pets at home was the same as tiny friends. However during the pandemic they stopped selling it and started selling a clay based one instead.

Personally I like to mix my sand as Ares is in a tank. When he starts digging he kicks up a lot of dust with the tiny friends, so I mix it wil pets at home desert sand (reptile). The grains of sand in the reptile one aren't as fine so doesn't produce as much dust. However when i was just using the reptile one (when I had the Syrians) it didn't seem to be as effective at keeping their coat nice and tidy.

That is a good point that they could kick up dust. I liked the JR Farm one as it seemed just right - grains not too small or too large/sharp and not dusty really. But can't get hold of it easily now (I still have a big bag).

I'm perhaps a bit unusual in that I don't give a separate sand bath to syrians usually - just a sand potty. I found most of our syrians really didn't like sand that much. The ones that mildly like it just have a wash in the front half of the potty and pee in the back half. Robos definitely need a sand bath though and Pip loves his.

So when getting repti sand do you need to check which type it is? I just vaguely remember from years ago being told that it was a different type of sand.

Back