Substrate

There have also been issues in the past where their website wasn't working and people couldn't check out. But don't think it's that as it's out of stock everywhere.

Hopefully they will email and let you know if they will get more in stock.

Yes I got an email from them via Amazon saying it must have been lost in the post so they'd ship another one - which still hasn't materialised! But no reply to the email I sent directly to their site querying why it's out of stock everywhere.

I shall have to wait a bit before doing the cage things. Pip is ready for a cage clean. Raffy needs his panels putting in and some extra bedding.

Yes I got an email from them via Amazon saying it must have been lost in the post so they'd ship another one - which still hasn't materialised! But no reply to the email I sent directly to their site querying why it's out of stock everywhere.
I do not see how they can ship another bag as they are all out of stock. I was hoping to buy some Fitch too.

I wondered that too! Maybe it's just not showing as in stock yet. I'm wondering how long to wait before I buy something else.

I wondered that too! Maybe it's just not showing as in stock yet. I'm wondering how long to wait before I buy something else.
It is difficult. I remember when kaytee was short in stock too.

I bought a small coco brick and made it up with a bit of water then baked it at 100C for a good hour.
It looks, feels and smells lovely but it's not dry enough to use for a hamster.

Does anyone know how to dry it that doesn't involve patience?

20230109_152804.jpg

No is the simple answer! Not that I know of anyway, once wet it takes ages to dry out.

• Haha
Reactions: Maz
I could have bought a 10l bag of loose coco soil but it was a lot more than i needed. I now wonder if that would have been dry and ready to use though.
I could get it tomorrow but if that would need drying out as well i'd be back to square one.
It's a reptile and aquatics shop and the assistants brains aren't wired up for living rodents so no good asking them.

The loose is dry and ready to use. I have the Komodo one and just popped it into Orko's dig box right away. I know what you mean about them coming in big bags. I think mine was a 5kg bag.

I have read it takes days to dry out the brick one and even weeks.

You could try spreading it out thinly on large sheets of paper with sun shining through the window (if there's space!). I am not familiar with it but I thought the nature of these things was to hold moisture. I'm always a bit wary of it personally in case of humidity/mould spores, although I know it's popular and cages are ventilated. I tend to just use cork bark pieces on top of the substrate. Not for digging, just for texture.

Sorry Rainbow, I forgot you use it. So do you find it nice and dry?

If you can get the komodo one Rainbow uses then go for that, if you can’t get that brand you can usually tell by the colour if it’s dry, it’s much paler when dry than when wet or even damp.

They sell ProRep in that shop but will phone the other shops to see if anyone stocks the Komodo one.

I normally use Coco coir for Syrians but have thought of having an area for Ares as I think he'd enjoy it. If it's bone dry it's incredibly dusty so you do need to keep some moisture in it. I gauge it by how much sticks to my hands. If my hands come out mostly clean then it's good to use. If there's a lot of dust and feels dry, then add more water. If your hands are very dirty, then it's too wet.

Back