Supporting heavy dig boxes

I thought she meant gluing the dowels could cause the platform to slip. I did not realise she meant gluing the actual sand bath to the platform.
Dur! I misread. I think Daisy said the sandbath may slip off the legs if dowels were glued on. If I got that right? I agree dowels wouldn't be the most secure option, unless they were thick ones and very well glued on with something like Ponal - or screwed through the bottom of the sandbath but that means drilling etc.

Much easier to get a platform with screw in legs.

Dur! I misread. I think Daisy said the sandbath may slip off the legs if dowels were glued on. If I got that right? I agree dowels wouldn't be the most secure option, unless they were thick ones and very well glued on with something like Ponal - or screwed through the bottom of the sandbath but that means drilling etc.

Much easier to get a platform with screw in legs.
I will do that. All my current platforms are from Furrynaturals so I will contact her. :)

Reactions: Maz
I think they do custom orders so she might make you a 30cm round one.
They do custom orders so I am sure she would. I actually have the 33cm sand bath. I meant to buy the 30cm but accidently ordered the 33cm. 😂

It will be huge! Same size as Raffy's wheel! Which is 32.5cm.

This place makes platforms as well. I thought the corners looked a bit sharp but they could be rounded off with a bit of sandpaper quite easily. Maybe they would do a custom size/shape?

This place makes platforms as well. I thought the corners looked a bit sharp but they could be rounded off with a bit of sandpaper quite easily. Maybe they would do a custom size/shape?

Thank you. That is good to know. :)

I thought she meant gluing the dowels could cause the platform to slip. I did not realise she meant gluing the actual sand bath to the platform.
I meant gluing the dowels. It may not be strong enough due to the limited surface area, but very thick dowels may be ok as Maz says.

I have the getzoo sand bath one & just gllued dowels onto the base, 18mm dowels should be fine, I think that’s safer than putting it on a platform.
I haven’t tried anything quite as big & heavy as the other dig box but I would have thought that would be ok with dowels glued on too.
I use the Ponal express which dries quickly & makes it easier to keep the dowels in place when you’re doing it. I find after a few seconds with that glue the dowels just stay put while it’s drying so it’s pretty easy.
I wouldn’t over complicate things tbh, whatever shape a sand bath or dig box is you can usually glue dowels on without any problems & with the thicker dowels & substrate underneath too that’s plenty of support.

I have the getzoo sand bath one & just gllued dowels onto the base, 18mm dowels should be fine, I think that’s safer than putting it on a platform.
I haven’t tried anything quite as big & heavy as the other dig box but I would have thought that would be ok with dowels glued on too.
I use the Ponal express which dries quickly & makes it easier to keep the dowels in place when you’re doing it. I find after a few seconds with that glue the dowels just stay put while it’s drying so it’s pretty easy.
I wouldn’t over complicate things tbh, whatever shape a sand bath or dig box is you can usually glue dowels on without any problems & with the thicker dowels & substrate underneath too that’s plenty of support.
Thank you. I am wondering why it would not be safe to have the sand bath on a platform? I have arranged to have one made. Of course, dowels would be easier and cheaper. 😊

It should be safe, there is just a chance of things sliding about on a platform, I was a bit late to this thread, if you’ve ordered the platform then that should be fine but. yes, just glueing dowels on would be cheaper & easier! It would probably take up less space & give you more options for where to put it without a platform too.

It should be safe, there is just a chance of things sliding about on a platform, I was a bit late to this thread, if you’ve ordered the platform then that should be fine but. yes, just glueing dowels on would be cheaper & easier! It would probably take up less space & give you more options for where to put it without a platform too.
Thank you. I am hopeless at working this kind of thing out. I will order trustleaf dowels tomorrow. Perhaps I will order 2cm thick to ensure they are more supportive.

There really isn’t anything much to work out, keep it simple is my motto!
2cm dowels will be well big enough, you could probably go with a bit smaller even, depends on how big the item is but if you use the really thick dowels it takes up a lot of burrowing space underneath but then I’m probably complicating things there!

There really isn’t anything much to work out, keep it simple is my motto!
2cm dowels will be well big enough, you could probably go with a bit smaller even, depends on how big the item is but if you use the really thick dowels it takes up a lot of burrowing space underneath but then I’m probably complicating things there!
Oh that is a good point. Thank you. I will look for the 18mm dowels then. I appreciate your help.😊

I think either way would be ok Rainbow, if you've already ordered the platform. What we mentioned above, Elusive, was that Rainbow could always glue the sand bath to the platform :) If cutting the dowels the right length could be an issue perhaps. It's not difficult to cut thick dowels the right length, if they are pine ones but you do need a saw! Or you could buy them from a diy store and they will sometimes cut them for you.

I missed that bit about gluing the sand bath to the platform, seems a bit permanent though if you ever wanted to use it differently you wouldn’t be able to get it off again.
I know it can be a pain having to saw dowels (I can’t saw straight to save my life!) but it doesn’t really matter if everything isn’t the exact same height as long as it’s accessible.

Yes that is the downside. I would probably go with whatever is easier. Maybe the place that's making the platform, could do some dowels that are exactly the right length?

I would not glue the sand bath because it would mess up any burrows taking it out. My partner is going to buy a saw and tomorrow I will buy dowels. I already have ponal glue.😊

Back