A week in the life of Orko - January

Lol. I have a very clear picture of Orko watching the pea roll down the hole!

Lol. I have a very clear picture of Orko watching the pea roll down the hole!
The second video is wrong! It was meant to be the second part of him eating the pea. I am going to edit it and repost the right video. Sorry everybody.

Lol! I watched the second one and kept waiting for Orko to reappear and he didn’t. Thought I must have missed something.

Lol! I watched the second one and kept waiting for Orko to reappear and he didn’t. Thought I must have missed something.
I am really sorry about that. Instead of cutting the end of the video I cut the beginning! I am just fixing it now.

Day 3

I had no idea my partner had eaten all the veg! I went to get Orko something and there was only the broccoli which we bought him but he will not touch. My partner was planning on buying veg for Orko on his way back from going out early but did not tell me. So Orko had his usual ground flaxseed and I gave him some freeze dried pumpkin which he loves. Here he is enjoying it.
20230120-100631.jpg

Then my partner came home with some bok choy for Orko. Orko was not impressed and did not eat it. Later on I tried giving him the white part to see if he may like that but again this was ignored.

I added more paper mache to his doughnut and decided to paint it with plastikote should it work out.

Orko popped out a few times and I think he was hoping for some different veg. My partner tried getting a picture of him but kept trying to compse the photo each time and Orko is very fast so this does not work well. Here is his attempt which shows cute little Orko looking back at him.

20230120-173714.jpg

It seems Orko no longer eats his whimzee but chews on dandelion root and grapevine wood. He is a funny boy as I hear how hamsters never loose their taste for whimzees.

This is still a great photo 😀, so hard to catch them when they move so fast. Orko has a really varied diet with his veggies and seed sprays, it’s super.

Orko is in good company with Hams, after the initial excitement with a whimzee, he’s not really eating them anymore.

This is still a great photo 😀, so hard to catch them when they move so fast. Orko has a really varied diet with his veggies and seed sprays, it’s super.

Orko is in good company with Hams, after the initial excitement with a whimzee, he’s not really eating them anymore.
Aww thank you. Ah it is interesting Hams is no longer excited about whimzees too. :)

I think hamsters can go through phases just like humans :) Or children. One week they want something all the time - next week they are off it. But usually come back to it when they feel like it.

It's such a cute photo of Orko - especially with that lovely mushroom in the background. The first picture is very cute too - in fact I can almost see an expression on his face - hmm - no veg?

I think hamsters can go through phases just like humans :) Or children. One week they want something all the time - next week they are off it. But usually come back to it when they feel like it.

It's such a cute photo of Orko - especially with that lovely mushroom in the background. The first picture is very cute too - in fact I can almost see an expression on his face - hmm - no veg?
You are very smart to work that out! He did pull that face as he had no veg. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Maz
Frozen veg is a good back up. You can steam or boil some peas and sweetcorn, take two for Orko and get your partner to eat the rest.
My OH usually gets asked to pick out 6 peas from the steamer or 6 sweetcorn kernels.

Love his little face in that first photo, bless him wondering where his veg is! And the second photo, we all have lots of blurry photos but they often really capture their character.
I’ve found they have phases too, I’m sure he’ll get interested in his whimzees again when he’s ready.

Love his little face in that first photo, bless him wondering where his veg is! And the second photo, we all have lots of blurry photos but they often really capture their character.
I’ve found they have phases too, I’m sure he’ll get interested in his whimzees again when he’s ready.
His current favourite is his shrimp cookie. It takes him weeks to eat one.😀

Day 4

Orko enjoyed a tiny piece of banana for breakfast this morning. Although it is a small piece he ate it in two stages coming back later for the rest. Here he is eating.
20230121-102018.jpg

Watching the camera footage I could see he is having trouble with his purple wheel. It has always been a bit off and Niteangel kindly refunded me when I asked them for advice on it. Well it seems to have had its day now so I decided to try the Tic Tac wheel. I will leave his green wheel but added the 10 inch Tic Tac wheel to see if he likes it. This took a major rethink as it is tall. First my partner sawed part of the legs of the platform to make it lower so the wheel would fit. This did not seem to work so he then removed the legs. He then cut some wooden dowels and attached them to the platform. Luckily this made the platform the perfect height for the wheel. Here are two pictures of the changes.
20230121-144758.jpg
20230121-144750.jpg

I swept the surfaces so they are tidy. I then hid mealworms in the hides as Orko likes to find them. I will continue in another post.

I saw some interesting footage last night. Orko took some of his seeds and stored them in his apple hide which is were he keeps his hoard. You can actually see him remove them from his pouches.

I worry so much when I make any changes to Orko's cage. He has always been fine with any changes and seems to accept them quickly but I still worry as I know it is not nice for him. Any changes have always been to improve things for him but I worry as I cannot bare him to feel any distress. I am exhausted after arranging his cage and worrying so may not add to his doughnut today. If he pops out to check the changes I will add to this thread later on.

Back