A week in the life of Orko - January

I wouldn't worry too much. You didn't take something out and then left him without.

You exchanged a faulty wheel with one that works. Hamsters quite like something new to sniff and to try out.

I'm looking forward to find out whether he likes the Tic Tac wheel or not.

Great video of Orko unpouching.

I wouldn't worry too much. You didn't take something out and then left him without.

You exchanged a faulty wheel with one that works. Hamsters quite like something new to sniff and to try out.

I'm looking forward to find out whether he likes the Tic Tac wheel or not.

Great video of Orko unpouching.
Aw thank you. You are always great at reassuring me. I too am very interested to see how he responds to the Tic Tac wheel. :)

Lovely photo of him enjoying his banana treat & love that vid too, it looks like he’s putting his shopping away!
It’s natural to worry a bit about changes & if they will work for a ham or not but I don’t think you have any cause for concern over the wheel, it may take him a little while to get used to it or he might love it straight away but I doubt the change will stress him at all.

Lovely photo of him enjoying his banana treat & love that vid too, it looks like he’s putting his shopping away!
It’s natural to worry a bit about changes & if they will work for a ham or not but I don’t think you have any cause for concern over the wheel, it may take him a little while to get used to it or he might love it straight away but I doubt the change will stress him at all.
That is such a great description, putting his shopping away.

Aw thank you very much for the reassurance. The issue was I had to shift things about to fit the wheel in hence the worry he would be stressed.

I'm sure he'll explore and work out where things are and soon get used to the changes.

Day 5

Turns out the Tic Tac wheel was too difficult for Orko to use. I replaced it with a new Niteangel wheel that I bought as a spare and had not used.

Orko had carrot for breakfast. He came out later for it as he did not go to bed until 8AM this morning! He was up all night long. Here he is pouching his carrot.

I went through all my hamster stuff today and set aside some items that I want to sell in the hope of freeing up some space. My partner will try to sell them on Ebay as he has an account.

I checked the doughnut bed and it is still not dry. Perhaps tomorrow it will be dry and I can see if it needs another layer of paper Mache or not.

Orko popped out twice in the day today and checked everything was as he left it this morning. Here is a clip of him.

Not too much to write today as I have not interacted with Orko today so he feels comfortable again after his cage having a change.

He liked his carrot 😋
He does look busy!
Hope the donut bed dries soon, paper mache does take ages but I’m sure it’ll be worth it.
He really is such a busy boy. :) Good to know paper mache takes ages as hopefully it means I have not done anything wrong. ;)

Day 6

I spent some time with Orko this morning. I broke up some tissue and put it around his cage and he actually played with it! It was the cutest thing I have ever seen. Here are two pictures to show him playing with the tissue.
20230123-094642.jpg
20230123-094653.jpg

My partner found a different type of green bean. They are thick and huge. Orko loved his slice so much. He actually looked excited and came back out a few times to finish it. Here is a video of him eating his green bean.

Orko popped out four times today so he has been very busy.

I ended up putting the paper mache doughnut in the oven after it had been used and was still warm. It is dryer now but I can see there are some very fragile bits so I will need to add more paper. I wonder if it will ever be finished! I actually dreamt I was making a paper mache roll and could not get it to stay glued down. It is haunting my dreams!

Gorgeous photos of Orko with his tissue paper! He is definitely enjoying that piece of green bean. The larger ones probably are easier. With the smaller ones I pull the string off first but they get more outside and less middle. With the larger ones they can get more of the juicy middle and you can cut out the string bits.

I can imagine you dreaming about the papier mache! It is quite a slow process isn't it?

Gorgeous photos of Orko with his tissue paper! He is definitely enjoying that piece of green bean. The larger ones probably are easier. With the smaller ones I pull the string off first but they get more outside and less middle. With the larger ones they can get more of the juicy middle and you can cut out the string bits.

I can imagine you dreaming about the papier mache! It is quite a slow process isn't it?
With the usual green beans I cut the end of and give him a small slice. It did not occur to me that they prefer the middle of the bean. That is interesting.

Haha, yes it is very slow! :)

It's just a guess but I think they prefer raw juicy bits of veg, like the inside of a bean.

It's just a guess but I think they prefer raw juicy bits of veg, like the inside of a bean.
That is very cute and so different to my past guinea pigs who would never dream of leaving a single bit of veg behind. ;)

Reactions: Maz
Oh definitely - Syrians would eat the lot. I pull the strings off though so it's easier for them without getting stringy bits in their teeth.

He looks really sweet with his tissue paper & it’s lovely to see him enjoying his new bean 😍
Mine have all been the same just eating the juiciest most tender bits of veg.

Back