A Week in the Life of - Socks the Syrian Hamster

Was that your garden? I spotted what looks like a hedgehog house but I think the entrance hole may be too small for a hedgehog. :)

I live in London too and you are right about the parakeets being noisy. They seem to love pulling blossom off trees. I find it cute. :)
Yes, we'll, it's a communal garden, but at times it's quiet enough to have lots of birds in it, and foxes visit. The little house is for frogs in the hope of tadpoles later on 🐸

I had one parakeet in my tree in my garden recently. Apparently, there's a flock which roosts in a nearby park although I've never seen them. I haven't seen them in my garden before.
Hyde Park and Gunnersby are supposed to be good for the parakeets. If you take nuts and apples to Hyde Park, apparently the parakeets will eat them from your hands. They like eating fat balls from the feeder.

Hyde Park and Gunnersby are supposed to be good for the parakeets. If you take nuts and apples to Hyde Park, apparently the parakeets will eat them from your hands. They like eating fat balls from the feeder.
I’m about 20 miles northwest of central London

Day 4

Socks was up at 7pm last night, climbed into his watermelon coloured bowl to address a celebratory Valentines Day strawberry and some freshly picked coriander leaves. He ate the coriander with clear relish, closing his eyes at times the better to savour it. Rodents have very expressive faces and can read the facial expressions of their doting parents! The strawberry was not as popular, surprisingly, and he just nibbled it a bit. The room smelled pleasantly of strawberry when I went to sleep 🍓 Socks went back to bed, and came out a few times in the late evening and small hours to have a good wheel run and some pats from me.

It's off to work soon. Back on my giant hamster wheel. But there are some nice parts on my commute:

Attachments

• 20240212_075709.jpg
    20240212_075709.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240212_075650.jpg
    20240212_075650.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240122_080145.jpg
    20240122_080145.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Your commute does look to have some nice and interesting views :) . I’m impressed with the baking! Socks may want some later. It looks very hammy cordon bleu :)

Last edited:
Your commute does look to have some nice and interesting views :) . I’m impressed with tha baking! Socks may want some later. It looks very hammy cordon bleu :)
Thank you! The bowl is from Pets at Home, it has turned out to be handy, I use it everyday for his greens!

Day 5

You Tube is a bit slow 🐌 so in the meantime:
What happened to Carrot Cottage? mysterious nocturnal goings on!
Socks ostriching, they're all doing it!😄

20240216_053043.jpg

20240210_175259.jpg

20240215_211355.jpg

Fishy Foo's song:

I can't help it I'm so blue
My name is Fishy Foo
I made my best bubble nest for you
With trailing fins shining in the sun
I can't help it
You're the one
You swam by without a look
Don't disregard me now I'm hooked.
I can't help it I'm so blue
Don't forget your Fishy Foo!

It sounds better in the original Thai, but Fishy Foo kindly translated it for me! 🐟

Socks has definitely been a busy boy in the night. I suspect he's been tunneling :-) Or sometimes they just start digging and kicking substrate out behind and then look at you as if to say "who made all that mess?"

Fishy foo is beautiful :)

Thank you! Yes, there is a tunnel under Carrot Cottage, Socks' old cereal box was there and he takes food down there via the MCH 😉

Back