Hamster wheel reviews

Member ID2

Former Member
Reaction score
12in Silent Runner wheel

A good, silent wheel suitable for Syrian hamsters but smaller species can run on it too as it turns easily.

On it's stand it was quite bouncy and seems more stable when attached to the bars.

At first it came loose and i had to tighten it daily but that resolved itself after a few days.

20220802_144341.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
9in Silent Runner wheel

My dwarfs loved those wheels and now one of my Robos has one and loves it too.

Said Robo lives in my bedroom and the wheel really is silent. The wheel is on its stand and not as bouncy as the 12in version. It's more stable but i also had to tighten it for the first few days.

Only drawback is that my Robo wees on it so i have to take the wheel apart to clean the grooves and running surface then re assemble it. I bought a second, identical wheel and now swap them over when i need to clean one and no longer have an upset Robo looking for his wheel.

20220715_002354.jpg

MouseBro wheel

One of my Robos has the 8in MouseBro wheel and loves it.

It is an open, smooth running wheel that is easy to clean and the height is adjustable.
I also like the fact that it comes in a range of colours.

My Robo has two wheels because he runs a lot and he wees on his wheel so i always have a clean one handy.

The wheel has slits on the back as part of the windmill design but i doubt that a toe could get trapped in them.

20220712_223524.jpg20220927_182803.jpg

Great reviews. I just love the photo of the 9" Silent runner with a robo peeking out!

I'll add to those. The Trixie wood and cork wheel and the Karlie Flamingo Bogie wheel (which look identical but the Karlie one tends to have better quality control I've found). The Trixie one is easier to get hold of and cheaper though usually - and it might be fine - if not send it back for a replacement. The Karlie one is only available on Amazon. The trixie one comes in 28cm (Syrian) or 21cm (dwarf).

These are also silent wheels but not so easy to attach to bars. They are basically free standing wheels. Which means if you have a fair depth of substrate under them they might need something underneath to support them - so they don't topple over or in case a hamster digs under it and it falls on them. I have usually just tied the back of it to the cage bars to keep it from falling/sinking.

However I have attached them upside down in a cage before. You just remove the base and use the screws and a pair of large washers and screw it upside down through the top bars. This is very stable and works well in the hamster heaven (but not in the Plaza which is taller and it might pull the top panel out of its grooves). It needs to be an all in one solid bar top for that to work. One wheel I couldn't get the base off so left it on - this worked equally as well but just means the wheel sits a bit lower in the cage (by the depth of the base).

The trixie version is fairly inexpensive from Zooplus. It used to be about £9.99 for the 28cm one but like so many things and hamster items, it has doubled in price!

Below is a photo of how I had it attached upside down in the cage. The advantage of this is - you get substrate under the wheel and it won't fall over. But it's also fine standing in the cage as well, if care is taken. That's the same for most freestanding wheels.

Most people paint the inside of the wheel with plastikote enamel water based paint (including the cork) so it's wipe clean inside.

Trixie wood cork wheel 2.jpgPB110199.JPG

I'll sticky this thread Beryl :)

11in Trixie wheel

All my hamsters, from the biggest Syrian to the smallest Robo can run on this wheel.

The quality is variable. I have some that are years old and still working fine and i had some that i had to return because they weren't running smoothly.

It is a basic wheel without a ball bearing mechanism hence not as quiet as the wheels previously reviewed by me. It is a popular wheel and easily available from Amazon and other sites like package pets.

20220812_205323.jpg

Reactions: Maz
I like the Trixie wheels! My 11" one is great and runs really well. I actually think they're a bit better than they used to be as I had one about 5 years ago and it was so shoddy I sent it back again! Maybe I just got a bad one. I also love the new colours! Especially the lime green.

It's such a shame they have doubled in price! On Amazon at least. They used to be £9.99. £12.99 sometimes but now over £20! I think all wheels have gone up in a price a lot. I hope they come down again!

Review for the Niteangel Cloud wheel

This is my favourite wheel ever. The 8.8 version is perfect for a robo. What I love about this wheel is the height can be adjusted. This means you can adjust it depending on the set up, how much bedding you have, the robo's preference.

It is cork lined which helps stop their little paws from being sore. Niteangel even give a spare cork track which is very helpful, The wheel is so quiet. My hamsters cage is right by my bed and I am never disturbed by the noise of the wheel.

I find the wheel very smooth and sturdy. The plastic stand is very thick and even comes with cork if you wish to stick underneath to cushion any sound. The drum is thick and I have found this helps keep my robo feel secure and safe in it.

This is the only wheel I have had that does not seem to require any adjusting and maintenance to keep it smooth.

The wheel would not be suitable for a hamster that toilets in their wheel due to the cork lining.
1666777413165.png

Last edited:
It looks very nice. You could always plastikote the cork running track - that's what I did on my cork lined wheel and it works!

12in Kaytee Silent Spinner

One of my foster hamsters loved this wheel but the others didn't take to it.

It is a fairly heavy wheel but spins really well and doesn't have any gaps on the running surface.

Screenshot_20221026-142243_Gallery.jpg

6.5in Kaytee Silent Spinner

This wheel is sold as a regular size but is only a 6.5in wheel.

It has a design flaw in the shape of gaps on the running surface where the two pieces are joined together. I put stickers on the gaps to avoid nails or toes getting caught.

The wheel spins well and my tiny dwarf Clarissa refused to run on any other wheel.

Screenshot_20221026-144315_Samsung Internet.jpg

11in Savic Orbital wheel

The wheel i have in the playground is old and a bit rattly. It's hooked onto the shoe rack and has a wide running track.

All the hamsters love it.

Screenshot_20221026-090320_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ah the Savic orbital wheel gets forgotten about. 12" Silent "Spinners" got a really bad reputation for a while for just not spinning well! After they changed the manufacturing - it was a bit of a disaster. Maybe you've got one of the older ones! Or been lucky. Yes the gaps had caused issues as well. The 6.5" silent spinner used to the THE go to wheel for dwarf hamsters - until the manufacturing change - some hamsters just couldn't push them they were so stiff. There are better wheels with flat running tracks IMHO.

Yes, i must have been lucky. Most of my spare wheels came free with the cages i recycle and some were in attics for years.

I haven't been that lucky with the Trixie wheels and had a few pink ones.

Trixie wheels are very hit and miss - some are virtually silent (like mine!) and trouble free - most people find them quiet. Some are horribly noisy and never work that well. If they're like that from new, best to send it back. I remember my shock though when I found the swirly pattern in the middle was just a paper sticker! Which started to disintegrate when I washed the wheel!

This wheel is a good one. The 26cm is great for a big dwarf or a small Syrian. It attaches to the bars and spins well. Rory has it.

Don't know why they picture a rat in it though.

Screenshot_20221026-191226_Samsung Internet.jpgIMG-20210524-WA0008.jpeg

Ah I remember you finding those! They look great and probably cheaper than a lot of wheels? What are they called?

They are chinese and i need to go to the shop to see what they're called. The 26cm has gone up to around £20 but still a good price.

Honestly why can't we get a wheel for under £20 now! The Trixie 28cm has been under £10 for years until recently.

Back