Hamster wheel reviews

That's the same as Raffy has (except he has the 28cm version) in his playpen - same colour :-). It's about the cheapest wheel you can get that's fairly quiet. Although there are probably some cheaper ones but they do like the holes in this one.

MouseBro wheel

One of my Robos has the 8in MouseBro wheel and loves it.

It is an open, smooth running wheel that is easy to clean and the height is adjustable.
I also like the fact that it comes in a range of colours.

My Robo has two wheels because he runs a lot and he wees on his wheel so i always have a clean one handy.

The wheel has slits on the back as part of the windmill design but i doubt that a toe could get trapped in them.

View attachment 208View attachment 209
I'm considering the 10.5 inch Mousebro wheel for Leo. It's either that or the 9 inch Silent Runner but I'm not as keen on the latter as I think it will be hard to clean. Does the Mousebro stay quiet over time (some wheels can get rattly)?

I'm considering the 10.5 inch Mousebro wheel for Leo. It's either that or the 9 inch Silent Runner but I'm not as keen on the latter as I think it will be hard to clean. Does the Mousebro stay quiet over time (some wheels can get rattly)?
All mine have been using the silent runner for a long time now & I find it really quick & easy to clean.

I don't know about the Mousebro wheels. The silent runners aren't really difficult to clean. I rarely took it apart for washing but just wiped it out. However apparently chinese can pee a lot in their wheels! So an open wheel might be easier for cleaning. Pee can get into the little join grooves on the silent runner (but it's still fairly easy to just wipe out rather than dismantle).

I'm using open wood/cork wheels now - would that work if plastikoted? I like it for their feet :)

All mine have been using the silent runner for a long time now & I find it really quick & easy to clean.
There's your answer :) The other thing is the silent runner can attach to the bars.

I don't know about the Mousebro wheels. The silent runners aren't really difficult to clean. I rarely took it apart for washing but just wiped it out. However apparently chinese can pee a lot in their wheels! So an open wheel might be easier for cleaning. Pee can get into the little join grooves on the silent runner (but it's still fairly easy to just wipe out rather than dismantle).

I'm using open wood/cork wheels now - would that work if plastikoted? I like it for their feet :)
I find plastikoted cork not quite as easy to clean as plastic. It takes a lot of scrubbing and sometimes some odour can remain. One of my gerbils pees on her wooden wheel (painted with white plastikote) and it's permanently stained despite cleaning.

I have one cork wheel I painted with clear Plasikote & that cleaned well.
Which white paint have you got on the wheel? I find the matt white is a bit absorbent & does stain, I’ve only used it on houses though.

The MouseBro wheels stayed silent and so far haven't deteriorated in any way.

I prefer an open wheel for hamsters who pee in their wheels like my Robos do and wouldn't consider a silent runner for either of them. I'd be forever taking them apart.

The MouseBro wheels stayed silent and so far haven't deteriorated in any way.

I prefer an open wheel for hamsters who pee in their wheels like my Robos do and wouldn't consider a silent runner for either of them. I'd be forever taking them apart.

That was my experience when I had a Syrian who stayed with me who had a Silent Runner. He was a wheel-peer and I found it a bit tiresome having to take the wheel apart once or twice a week and scrub the dried urine out of the grooves in the wheel front. Especially since he ended up staying for 5 months! Maybe I'm just a bit too lazy for a Silent Runner but I prefer the open plastic wheels too :)

I have one cork wheel I painted with clear Plasikote & that cleaned well.
Which white paint have you got on the wheel? I find the matt white is a bit absorbent & does stain, I’ve only used it on houses though.

I think it is matte paint. Probably the clear would have been better.

I don't like taking wheels apart for cleaning either :) I haven't had any big wheel pee-ers so I was able to be lazy ha ha.

There aren't many wheels that attach to the bars now (which I like so I can have them higher up and substrate under them). But there are ways of doing it I guess. Like tying the wheel stand to the bars. If the wheel screws onto a stand there's a way to screw it to the bars. It then is too close to the bars or wobbles so with Raffy's I made my own "spacer" with just a small piece of wood (actually the wood part of a wheel stand from another old wheel). Or even use the silent runner bar plates.

How about a 28cm trixie wheel? That comes apart really easily for cleaning. There really isn't a lot of choice in reasonably priced wheels though.

There are also tic tac bucket wheels maybe but they're a bit expensive. Anyway it sounds like you're keen on the Mousebro one :)

I don't like taking wheels apart for cleaning either :) I haven't had any big wheel pee-ers so I was able to be lazy ha ha.

There aren't many wheels that attach to the bars now (which I like so I can have them higher up and substrate under them). But there are ways of doing it I guess. Like tying the wheel stand to the bars. If the wheel screws onto a stand there's a way to screw it to the bars. It then is too close to the bars or wobbles so with Raffy's I made my own "spacer" with just a small piece of wood (actually the wood part of a wheel stand from another old wheel). Or even use the silent runner bar plates.

How about a 28cm trixie wheel? That comes apart really easily for cleaning. There really isn't a lot of choice in reasonably priced wheels though.
Ideally I was looking for something in between an 8 inch and an 11 inch in terms of size, but if I end up moving Leo to the Savic Plaza it wouldn't matter so much. I already have a 28cm Trixie wheel so it could be an option.

A 10" one would allow for deeper substrate though so it's a good idea, and a 28cm one isn't really necessary.

Just for the record if anyone reading this in future thinks Silent Runners might be a bit of a hassle to take apart I just took one apart & reassembled it, took me 1 minute 20 seconds!
I don't think it's the hassle of taking apart - it's cleaning the grooves :)

Back