Hamster wheel reviews

I suppose there are Chinese tails to think about too. The silent runner at least is very safe inside in that respect. Some of the other wheels have a kind of round piece in the middle that a tail could possibly get trapped in with some acrobatics. Although I believe the round pieces are decorative and can be removed, making them safer.

That’s possible I guess, the tail is very short but it could be an issue.
My Chinese often seem quite intrigued by the bit in the middle & have tried to climb on it!

I suppose there are Chinese tails to think about too. The silent runner at least is very safe inside in that respect. Some of the other wheels have a kind of round piece in the middle that a tail could possibly get trapped in with some acrobatics. Although I believe the round pieces are decorative and can be removed, making them safer.
That's true. There have been some nasty accidents with gerbil and degu tails and wheels with a round piece in the centre. Chinese tails are probably a bit too short to be a big risk but it's worth keeping in mind.

True, the MouseBro design has slits and a centre knob that is not flash against the back so maybe a Bucatstate or Niteangel (if you want to splash out) would be safer for a Chinesey.

Elusive, that is a record time. Takes me a minute to worry about not dropping the connector piece down the plughole, then take it apart, clean it, clean the grooves with an old toothbrush, dry it all, then re assemble it trying not to be too heavy handed.
Four of our hamsters have Silent Runners. They are great wheels.

I'm still very iffy about slits at the back of wheels generally, but then I am ultra cautious! I think Niteangel wheels are just far too expensive - however good they are, when you can get a cheap trixie wheel and they even make the silent runners look fairly cheap! And I thought those were expensive.

Actually there is this wheel. This is the Getzoo plastic version of their cork wheel. It says 27cm but the internal diameter is 25cm (10") so it's not as big as it sounds. The cork running track is replaceable. So even if plastikoted if it got manky you pull it out and stick another one in. It screws to a stand so it would also be possible to screw to the bars.

Maybe the best of both worlds? An open plastic wheel with a cork removable track and bar fixing?

That one is reduced at 24.99 euros. The beige coloured one is still full price at 38.99 euros which is a bit steep.

These are the replacement cork tracks.

On the other hand, do you really need a wheel with a cork track?

I’d been looking at that Getzoo wheel too & thought it looked really good, their stuff is expensive but everything I’ve had from them has been good quality, I do prefer enclosed wheels personally otherwise I’d really want to try that one.

Reactions: Maz
Different hamsters prefer different wheels as well - although frankly Syrians will usually use any wheel! I also preferred the enclosed wheels until I had a robo and I like the cork open wheels for the robos. That Getzoo wheel only comes in one size and it's not really big enough for Syrians. A good size for a dwarf hamster though.

The Getzoo wheel does look nice. I wasn't sure around the bright green and orange one but now I see they have a beige version which is nicer. 54 euros including postage is a bit steep though cheaper than a Niteangel wheel.

I suspect it probably isn't necessarily to buy Getzoo's own replacement cork track. Someone on a gerbil forum bought cork lining for model railways to line their metal Tictac wheel so that would probably work too.

Who would have thought hamster wheels could be so complicated?

I find hamster wheels very complicated. My favourite wheel for a robo is the Niteangel cloud series but they seem to not be making them any more due to not getting the parts.

I keep it simple: Silent Runner for non wheel pee'ers and MouseBro or Bucatstate for wheel pee'ers. Sorted.

What narrows down my choice is the fact that i only use plastic wheels because i like to be able to wash or disinfect a wheel if needed.

It has got more complicated hasn't it? It used to be either a trixie wood wheel, a wodent wheel, a trixie plastic wheel or later, a silent runner. Or if feeling flush, a rodipet wood wheel.

Now - the wodent wheels have been gone for a long time (and they were a pain to take apart and clean anyway). The trixie wood wheels are harder to get hold of, not great quality and not cheap any more. The trixie plastic wheels are still cheapish and ok. Silent runners are still ok. But less choice in open wheels except all these new brands I know nothing about. I sometimes wonder if some of the clear open type wheels are a bit slippery on the surface.

I keep it simple: Silent Runner for non wheel pee'ers and MouseBro or Bucatstate for wheel pee'ers. Sorted.

What narrows down my choice is the fact that i only use plastic wheels because i like to be able to wash or disinfect a wheel if needed.
Yes that sounds sensible. If I didn't have my wood and cork rodipet wheel for Raffy I would use a silent runner (although he loves his trixie 28cm wheel too!). Or did - poor thing hasn't been out of the cage since he last saw me. Good job he's in a big cage.

I like the cork lined wheels for robos though, so they keep a grip.

Actually there's still the Savic giant rolly wheel that's open and grippy :-) And the 8.5" comfort wheel. If you don't mind the rattling.

The choices are overwhelming but I've decided to go for a Niteangel 10 inch plastic wheel. Mainly because the Mousbro wheel is only available in pink at the moment which I didn't want. I've ordered the mint green colour.

Actually there's still the Savic giant rolly wheel that's open and grippy :-) And the 8.5" comfort wheel. If you don't mind the rattling.
I have a Savic Rolly which I briefly considered using but it's not the quietest and also quite wide for a narrow Chinese hamster. I tend to use it as a playpen wheel.

I also used to have a comfort wheel which I had to throw away because it was so horrendously noisy. I have quite a high tolerance for noise (I can sleep through most noisy wheels) but that one was too much.

The choices are overwhelming but I've decided to go for a Niteangel 10 inch plastic wheel. Mainly because the Mousbro wheel is only available in pink at the moment which I didn't want. I've ordered the mint green colour.

I have a Savic Rolly which I briefly considered using but it's not the quietest and also quite wide for a narrow Chinese hamster. I tend to use it as a playpen wheel.

I also used to have a comfort wheel which I had to throw away because it was so horrendously noisy. I have quite a high tolerance for noise (I can sleep through most noisy wheels) but that one was too much.
I have that wheel! It is so smooth and quiet. I really love Niteangel wheels. I hope Leo likes it. :)

Yes the price is not too bad :-) Last time I looked it was going to be £65! But that was for the larger one. I ended up spending £45 on a rodipet one instead. And they don't make those any more.

That looks like a good choice Daisy. Right size, open, easy to clean, grippy running track. and it looks like it would screw to bars as well if needed.

I saw this one recently. It's a 30cm wood and cork wheel sold by Hope's Healthy treats. Compared to the cost of some wheels now, it's not a bad price, so am assuming it's made in the Uk and not imported. It's an alternative to the rodipet ones (as they no longer make their wood and cork ones), cheaper than the niteangel equivalent. The cork lining is replaceable. Slightly cheaper than the Getzoo wheel (possibly - depending on the postage) and I found the Getzoo wheels had a strong smell. Reviews sound ok.

Back