Hamster wheel reviews

Oh well - we can hope prices might go down again! I think a lot of it is import tax.

I have one of the Rodipet Wood wheels with cork running surface and absolutely love it. It's the smoothest quietest wheel and I have it attached to the cage bars. I plastikoted it so the wood and cork is wipe clean. It's 32cm which is absolutely huge lol! Because that's the inside diameter, not the outside! It was the only size I could get as they'd been out of stock a lot. And although it is huge in the cage, it fits and Raffy loves it and runs like the wind in it.

Unfortunately Rodipet seem to have stopped selling them. The Getzoo ones seem very similar (although have a little lip at the front like the Trixie ones whereas the Rodipet one has no edge at all). I did try one but would recommend leaving it time for the woody/varnish/glue smell to wear off before using it. I found it quite strong smelling - but then I have a sensitive nose. Hamsters do too, so after a week and the smell hadn't worn off enough, I sent it back and got the Rodipet one - which didn't smell overpowering!

I won't bother to add a photo as it's no longer available! I'd be interested to see a review of the Rodipet Heureka wheel though.

Carolina Storm wheel 10" - I sent off for one of these from the US a few years ago as they were very popular and height adjustable and they used to ship to the Uk. I don't think they do any more but I believe there's a place on Etsy sells them.

It's not my favourite wheel. It's ok. I don't think 10" is big enough for a Syrian other than for temporary use. I used it in the playpen and most of our hamsters enjoyed using it (hamsters just like wheels!), but slithered a bit sometimes - it's not as grippy as some wheel surfaces. It's not too small for a small Syrian. Raffy was tiny at 97g when I got him and he had this wheel in his cage at first until I could get another one (it was hard getting hold of wheels during the pandemic). He now has the Rodipet one!. Although he loved running in it, he much preferred running in the 11" Trixie wheel in his playpen. I was going to swap them over but the Trixie was fiddly to fix to the bars so I just waited till I got the Rodipet one.

Basically he ran much better in a bigger wheel. It's an ok wheel, but it's not that height adjustable, I don't like the look of the stand (but you can hide it or wrap something round it). It can however be attached to bars without the stand which is good - but I needed to use bar fixing plates from the Silent Runner to fix it to the bars and have it stable. A bit of wood with a hole in the middle would do though.

It's not a cheap wheel and I think there are better wheels for the money. Mine also arrived very squashed out of shape! They are quite pliable. But I managed to squash it back into shape again. It is silent however - unless you have it bar mounted and it bangs against the bars if not fixed well! It actually measured about 10.5" across the widest part at the front. Syrian Hamsters can run with a straight back in it but IMHO they run better in a bigger wheel. It spins incredibly easily though so might be good for a dwarf hamster. Except they do grip better in other wheels.

Photo is of a particularly large Syrian running in it.

Carolina Storm Wheel.png

I think the Heurika wheel would be ok for a dwarf hamster. I still don't understand Rodipet's reasoning behind the design though.

Neither do I lol! I would prefer it if it was straight and attached to bars. Maybe they just wanted to be different or perhaps there is something scientific in it.

I think the Heurika wheel would be ok for a dwarf hamster. I still don't understand Rodipet's reasoning behind the design though.
I think dwarf hamsters can run in quite large wheels, very well, as long as they spin easily! I remember seeing a video of a robo in a 12" Wobust wheel :)

Oh yes. Our Robo Scottie runs in the Trixie and the Orbital when he's in the playground. He even climbed on the 30cm saucer but nothing happened.

Ooh I'd love to see that :-) Next time you get chance to do a video.

The Trixie Plastic Running disc 30cm. Not as a main wheel but all our hamsters have loved this in the playpen! Or if you have space in a cage, as well as an upright wheel. The 30cm one is the size needed for Syrians.

I first got this in an urgent situation when our first Syrian's wheel broke (he was a big hamster and hammered it ha ha). I sent for another wheel but it got delayed. Hamster was going frantic and this was the only thing I could get next day from Amazon as a stop gap - so got it. That kept him happy until his wheel arrived.

It was used by all our Syrians ever since. It washes easily and it works! It spins well. It's pretty basic but works well. Then one day it got trodden on and cracked. So I got another one (the newer ones seem to have a white base instead of a green one). My new one is slightly warped and I really should have sent it back, but it works ok and I didn't get round to it. So check to see it's ok if you get one.

If they stop spinning so well, a tiny bit of olive oil or vegetable oil on the spindle works wonders. This drove Raffy bonkers trying to get at the olive oil to lick it but he gave up after about 5 minutes!

They're not good as a main wheel as hamsters sometimes don't run properly on them and can run curved. Usually because they're trying to get to the top and use it as a launch platform out of a playpen! If they run properly on them they stay at the bottom end and just run in a straight line, then they don't have a curved back. But they're great for out of cage time I think. And less parts to go wrong.

They also still cost less than £20! They were about £12 for years - gone up a bit now. Incidentally this place, where I've linked selling them - is where I've been getting Bunny Dream hamster food from recently, since Zooplus stopped selling it. But I got my flying saucer/running disc from Amazon.

Have an old video of our first hamster Charlie using it. He never did get the hang of running on it properly but Raffy is a pro!

Last edited:
Speaking of prices - it's only a few months ago I was horrified that the Niteangel wheels cost £60 in the Uk (11") and said I wasn't paying that much for a wheel (and ended up paying £54 for the Rodipet wheel! Although it was worth it!). And I have just seen that the Niteangel wheels have literally doubled in price on Amazon! £123. For a hamster wheel! It's completely bonkers. Must be more than import taxes. Makes £20 for a Trixie wheel seem cheap now!

11in Trixie wheel

All my hamsters, from the biggest Syrian to the smallest Robo can run on this wheel.

The quality is variable. I have some that are years old and still working fine and i had some that i had to return because they weren't running smoothly.

It is a basic wheel without a ball bearing mechanism hence not as quiet as the wheels previously reviewed by me. It is a popular wheel and easily available from Amazon and other sites like package pets.

View attachment 224
Incidentally - has anyone tried the 33cm trixie wheel?

I also have the 30cm Kaytee flying saucer bought at my local hardware shop for around £15. They are great for a playground.

Love the video of Charlie on his saucer and how he never forgets to check on a possible escape route.

IMG-20220815-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Maz
Speaking of prices - it's only a few months ago I was horrified that the Niteangel wheels cost £60 in the Uk (11") and said I wasn't paying that much for a wheel (and ended up paying £54 for the Rodipet wheel! Although it was worth it!). And I have just seen that the Niteangel wheels have literally doubled in price on Amazon! £123. For a hamster wheel! It's completely bonkers. Must be more than import taxes. Makes £20 for a Trixie wheel seem cheap now!
It is cheaper to get Niteangel wheels on the US Amazon site and have them shipped over.

Reactions: Maz
12in Silent Runner wheel

A good, silent wheel suitable for Syrian hamsters but smaller species can run on it too as it turns easily.

On it's stand it was quite bouncy and seems more stable when attached to the bars.

At first it came loose and i had to tighten it daily but that resolved itself after a few days.

View attachment 203
Just adding this video review of the 12" silent runner wheel - from when it first came out a few years ago. I used it for all our Syrians for a few years then got tempted by a Rodipet wood open wheel (after our robo had one!). Sadly the rodipet wood wheel isn't made any more. The last Silent Runner I bought did seem very slightly different - I think they've changed the bolt arrangement a few times and perhaps the other odd slight change but it's still a very popular silent wheel.

I recently bought this 20cm Trixie because the other one was too noisy and Sweetie stopped to use it for a while. Now she got this one and she loves it and very silent! I can’t hear it at night xx

Attachments

• D3BBA35A-8B6A-43FC-BC3F-62431E96C049.jpeg
    D3BBA35A-8B6A-43FC-BC3F-62431E96C049.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 1
Back