Leo

That's wonderful to see :-) I want a Leo :)
He's so lively and interactive. Lovely little hamster! I want one too.

Here's hoping there is a "Leo" out there for each of you!

Leo looks so happy. Is Leo fully grown now? I didn't realise Chinese hamsters had such long bodies.

He's 4.5 months old now so I think would be mostly fully grown. I'm still amazed by how long and narrow his body is. Sometimes it almost looks snake-like when he's moving around.

His movements are fascinating to watch - so nimble and agile as well. And he seems so perky and interested too! He's an adorable little man.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should upgrade him to my Savic Plaza since he's so active. It's in storage at the moment but if I move some things around I might have space for it somewhere.

My current cage is on a sort of dresser too. The bigger one has quite a lot of overhang front back and sides but it's quite stable once full of bedding and items and I have non slip mat under it. So I don;t think it matters if the unit underneath isn't big enough - just whether there is enough space around the unit for the cage to fit I guess - if that's what you mean. Pip's plaza is on top of a long, really narrow, console shelf thing. The fact that it's so narrow doesn't seem to matter because it's long enough to support the whole length of the the cage base.

The footprint of the Plaza may not be that much bigger than the footprint of the current cage - maybe a few inches bigger all round.

Anyway, you know what you're talking about and I don't ha ha. My Plaza 120 is in the same place as the original plaza was for Raffy but I had to use a different cupboard/dresser underneath it. Before that it was on top of a small kallax unit and the plaza fits fine on top of one of those. With some overhang.

Not sure if this helps at all. But this is the standard plaza cage on top of a 77cm kallax unit, which is about 43cm deep I think. It had overhang a little bit at the back but it's up against the wall behind, and a bit at the sides but it was very stable.

IMG_0050 resized cropped.jpg

Sorry it's 39cm deep. 77cm wide. I didn't think it would be deep enough but it was fine.

My current cage is on a sort of dresser too. The bigger one has quite a lot of overhang front back and sides but it's quite stable once full of bedding and items and I have non slip mat under it. So I don;t think it matters if the unit underneath isn't big enough - just whether there is enough space around the unit for the cage to fit I guess - if that's what you mean. Pip's plaza is on top of a long, really narrow, console shelf thing. The fact that it's so narrow doesn't seem to matter because it's long enough to support the whole length of the the cage base.

The footprint of the Plaza may not be that much bigger than the footprint of the current cage - maybe a few inches bigger all round.

Anyway, you know what you're talking about and I don't ha ha. My Plaza 120 is in the same place as the original plaza was for Raffy but I had to use a different cupboard/dresser underneath it. Before that it was on top of a small kallax unit and the plaza fits fine on top of one of those. With some overhang.
I'm so sorry, somehow I missed this comment the other day! The dresser is about 80cm wide and there's a door to the right of it, which means if it had a Plaza on it, all the overhang would have to be on the left side which might be too much (but could work). Alternatively I'm trying to figure out a new housing solution for the gerbils as their old enclosure wasn't working for them (it kept causing arguments between them, and they're in a temporary enclosure now), so if I end up getting something that can fit on the dresser, Leo's Plaza could go on the unit where their tank is currently.

And now I've just had another idea but I'm not sure if it's absurd or not...

This was the gerbils' enclosure. I wonder if it would be possible to set it up for a Chinese hamster?

SRSgGMHl.jpg

21aL2vyl.jpg

Ah yes a door next to it wouldn't work would it? That gerbil enclosure looks like a really interesting option! Elusive would probably know more than me, whether the height was ok or not. Personally I think the Savic Plaza would be good :-) There's a lot of scope with it.

I would probably have to set it up quite differently to how it was for the gerbils, with much less open space etc. I wouldn't dream of using it for a Robo or dwarf hamster due to the fall risks (maybe for a Syrian with some full floors) but Chinese hamsters are more aware of heights.

My main concern would be that I might never see Leo again amongst all that space!

I'm surprised that enclosure didn't work for the gerbils but i don't know about gerbils.
Is it too many levels?

Yes that's a point too - but I'm sure he'd come out. Would it include the bottom section full of bedding as well as the top section?

I'm surprised that enclosure didn't work for the gerbils but i don't know about gerbils.
Is it too many levels?
I think Daisy was saying she could adjust the levels. Chinese hamsters climb more than other species but I'm not sure how much.

I think Daisy was saying she could adjust the levels. Chinese hamsters climb more than other species but I'm not sure how much.
No, i'm curious why it didn't work for the gerbils. Looks like a great enclosure to me.

Back