Leo

I went to my local pet shop today and got some cat treats for Leo to try. I'm not sure if he will like them as he can be a bit picky. It's a kind of chicken paste in little sachets (they also had a salmon flavour) and I can see them being useful for sick hamsters or hamsters with tooth problems as well, or for hiding medication in. Has anyone else fed these before?

I'm not sure yet if I'll keep them for Christmas or feed them sooner. I also ordered Leo's Christmas present last week but I won't say what that is yet just in case he's reading!

I’m really curious about his Christmas present now!

Have you tried him with Crocks? I find it hard to imagine him turning his nose up at those, especially chicken & cheese.

Reactions: Maz
I’m really curious about his Christmas present now!

Have you tried him with Crocks? I find it hard to imagine him turning his nose up at those, especially chicken & cheese.
His present isn't that exciting really :)

I haven't tried him with crocks yet but I've heard of them. I'll have a look for them.

I weighed Leo tonight (he's 42g now) so I decided to give him the new treat as an apology. He really liked it! He didn't get the whole sachet of course.

20231121_011818.jpg

I'm glad I discovered these treats. I think they will be useful to keep in, especially as they keep for over a year unopened. The texture is like baby food and it smells very strong (I expect the salmon one is even stronger) so it might be useful for giving antibiotics. I definitely recommend them.

He coped very well with being taken out of his cage and weighed. He didn't enjoy it of course but he recovered very quickly. He does seem to be really flourishing at the moment.

Ooh it's lovely to see Leo - what a gorgous photo of him :-) He is so very sweet! It's good he's getting used to being out of the cage. How do you weigh him? I tend to use the flatbed scales with a small piece of cheese or cucumber on, then zero them. And have them on the floor (or floor of playpen) on a book, and they just walk on to get the treat and you can read it.

Ooh it's lovely to see Leo - what a gorgous photo of him :) He is so very sweet! It's good he's getting used to being out of the cage. How do you weigh him? I tend to use the flatbed scales with a small piece of cheese or cucumber on, then zero them. And have them on the floor (or floor of playpen) on a book, and they just walk on to get the treat and you can read it.
I put him in a box and weighed that, then weighed the box without him and worked out the difference.

Well it's all part of getting used to being in different things and places for Leo :) He'll soon get used to it. It sounds like he can be handled now.
Yes, I can handle him when needed. He doesn't like it, but he gets over it quickly. Whereas when he was younger I think it would have been more traumatic for him.

That's great :-) Real progress. Raffy still doesn't like being handled!

That is such an adorable photo of Leo, he really does look as though he’s loving that!
Good idea to keep some in case meds are needed, I think I might do that too.

He’s doing so well now, lovely to hear how much more confident he is.
I do the same with weighing, must do Liriél again soon, she was 39g last time so catching up!

That is such an adorable photo of Leo, he really does look as though he’s loving that!
Good idea to keep some in case meds are needed, I think I might do that too.

He’s doing so well now, lovely to hear how much more confident he is.
I do the same with weighing, must do Liriél again soon, she was 39g last time so catching up!
Thank you, he did really enjoy it!

What would you say the average weight is for an adult Chinese hamster?

Reactions: Maz
I think it varies as with most species, males probably a bit more than females so 40-45g is about average, lowest weight is usually around 30g but most are more than that.

I'm currently away from home for a few days and my dad is looking after Leo and the gerbils. I told him he might not see Leo, and that's fine as long as his food disappears every day. However I'm told he did make an appearance the first night at least (hopefully he hasn't been sulking ever since). I'll be home tomorrow and I'm excited to see Leo and the gerbils again.

I'm also told that the gerbils have been "very lively" :rolleyes: I remember when I went away a few years, and at that time had a pair living in an enclosure with a topper which had a large front-opening door. I had left them a large bowl of food which they had very helpfully pushed against the topper door, so that as I opened it to say hello to the gerbils, it fell out and the food went everywhere. Hopefully the gerbils haven't done anything like that this time!

I got some presents for the pets from a local pet shop. It wasn't a very good pet shop. Almost all the treats had fruit or honey in them and there wasn't much choice of toys, but I eventually managed to find a shred-a-log for the gerbils and herby tube thing for Leo.

Back