Syrian Bar Biting on cage

Height wise the pen is 40cm, so by herself, I don't think it's possible, however they do like to climb, so all the high items are being moved to the middle!

So has she actually moved into the cage now? If she has - I would save any tweaking to the cage set up for a couple of weeks as changes when she's settling in could set off stress behaviours.

Height wise the pen is 40cm, so by herself, I don't think it's possible, however they do like to climb, so all the high items are being moved to the middle!
Yes mine is 30cm high and I thought our Syrian couldn't get out, but he found a convenient taller hide in the middle of the playpen to hurl himself off and actually managed to hang on to the top of the playpen that way and climb over! I had to remove that hide - so lower hides are better! I kept hearing this thump and wondering what it was. It was him hurling himself at the side and missing! And then he didn';t miss!

Ah yes - 22nd so it's a week now. I still wouldn't make any cage changes just yet and give it the two weeks at least so she is fully settled and scent marked everything. Changes can disrupt the settling in process and cause stress and stress can lead to bar biting!

Okay, I think more planning on what would be best, but leave it a bit then before making any changes

Reactions: Maz
Yes mine is 30cm high and I thought our Syrian couldn't get out, but he found a convenient taller hide in the middle of the playpen to hurl himself off and actually managed to hang on to the top of the playpen that way and climb over! I had to remove that hide - so lower hides are better! I kept hearing this thump and wondering what it was. It was him hurling himself at the side and missing! And then he didn';t miss!
I will keep a close eye on her

Reactions: Maz
Okay, I think more planning on what would be best, but leave it a bit then before making any changes
I really love that you care so much for Jas you joined this forum and are asking questions and taking on board everything.

I think it’s fine to add a few things, it’s more moving & rearranging things that stresses them out.

Are cardboard cup holders okay for hamsters? Like you get from a takeaway? And what about paper cups?

If they are pure cardboard they are fine but with cups I think they are coated in plastic to stop liquid going through.

I was thinking about that for the cups, just trying to boost my supply. Do I need to do anything to the cup holders?

I was thinking about that for the cups, just trying to boost my supply. Do I need to do anything to the cup holders?
Are they the ones that look similar to egg boxes? Sorry, that is how I describe them.😂

I am curious to know what amazing creation we are going to see made from cup holders! :)

Back