Syrian Bar Biting on cage

I think her confidence is increasing. In the playpen, she ended up in a position where she needed help, so had to use the hand lift, which previously she would have avoided, but just looked at us as if to say, I'm ready to get down now please. She's so quick and inquisitive, you have to watch her all the time. She doesn't try to bite us though, even if she does bite the cage, so I don't think it's an aggression thing, although she is super fast.
I also forgot to mention, we did try the whimzee, she wasn't as interested as I thought she might be, she does like the loofa though. I think she's pretty fussy and you just have to try a variety of things to see what they prefer

Yes, they grow in confidence as they mature not unlike humans really. I find that they slow down as they grow up as well. It also takes a while for us to get to know our hamsters. Some like a lot of out of cage time and others don't. It's very interesting to get to know their individual personalities.
We have six and the latest one only moved in this week so i don't know him yet but can't wait to find out how he ticks.

As for the Whimzee, you can leave that in the cage, it won't go off. Often hamsters keep them like a little treasure without chewing them.

Hi Hank, lovely to hear how well Jas is doing. Looking forward to hearing more.

Glad things are going well :) As for the whimzee - Syrians sometimes have priorities and will ignore some things while others are preoccupying them. It may be she is just taking in the change and adjustments and has reached capacity for now. She may come back to it another day. Scatter feeding a little bit of her food, as well as putting it in the bowl, might help her settle as well and be distracted from any strangeness.

Last edited:
A have a bit of a random question, sorry if this isn't the right place to post. I went to paperchase today and they had some boxes made out of wildflower seeded paper, would these be okay to use in the hamster cage?

A have a bit of a random question, sorry if this isn't the right place to post. I went to paperchase today and they had some boxes made out of wildflower seeded paper, would these be okay to use in the hamster cage?
I tried to look this up for you but could not find out. I think you may need to know what the flowers were to know if it were safe but I am sure other members will answer soon.

Please do not apologise for asking. You can ask anything you like.

I’m not entirely sure either, I did try to look it up to see exactly what they’re made of but the paperchase website is closed now.
I would imagine they would be ok but can’t say for sure.

The box just says that after you have finished with it, you can soak in water and plant, then it will grow, but I don't know what wildflowers they are. I just thought it sounded natural for a box, so thought it might be okay

It might be best to err on the side of caution & not use it, most wild flower seeds are ok but not all & without knowing what seeds they are you can’t really know if there is anything that might not be safe.

I’d have thought the seeds would be stuck to the paper with something, so would also err on the side of caution. Not all wildflowers are herbs or safe to eat.

The seeds are probably just mixed into the mushy paper mix before it’s made into sheets.

Hi everyone, I want to add some items at height, do you have any suggestions for bridges or ladders?

Back