Syrian Bar Biting on cage

So presumably you had to keep repairing the holes she chewed?

I was thinking the same. Although if it was a choice between the Plaza and the 120cm Hamster Homes cage I'd go for the latter :) I think that one still needs painting inside but I think they give you the stuff to do it with (must check on that as I'm not sure if they're already waterproofed).
It does need painting, but they provide it

Reactions: Maz
There is also this one. Same issues with the top shelf being too tall but same options - either leave it out or leave it in and have deep bedding. It's not quite as large due to the shape but still not a bad size - one advantage is it has a front door and apparently (according to others who have had them) when you're building the flatpack you can reverse the door and front panel so the door is at the top - which is much better for access. It's pointless at the bottom as all the bedding would fall out.

It does need painting, but they provide it
To be honest you probably only really need to paint the base and about 12" up round the insides. It's just to protect against pee really - although it does help make it wipe clean easier later (you might want to use it again). It's not a huge job to paint the whole inside either.

With all Pawhut style cages I think they are best to remove shelves. They can take deep bedding though which is nice. With any wooden cage I would paint them to help stop the wee from running the wood. I pained my cage to keep it wee proof.

It's always tricky - there is no ideal cage!

It is tricky, it’s easy to over think things too & it just gets confusing. I wonder if the Plaza 120 might become a more available option soon.

Different cages lead to different requirements in other ways as well. If you had deep bedding in a tank style you also then need the odd platform - eg for a wheel to stand on, and any houses need supporting underneath - unless they're light like cardboard. Or the hamster can dig under them and the house subside on them. Plus heavier ceramic items need to be on platforms. It can all get quite expensive!

Which is why in some ways a split level cage can be helpful - a deeper end for digging and the house and wheel in the shallower area.

It's difficult for me to recommend as I prefer cages - I like the ventilation and front opening - and you can have deeper bedding if you want by adding panels round the inside, but 6" is ok for a lot of Syrians. However there are no cages bigger than 100cm really.

So presumably you had to keep repairing the holes she chewed?
Yes. I used epoxy. It was actually the zoozone 2 she took a chunk out of. There's a few spaces she could get her teeth into as there were to attach a hay rack to. I've since filled in all the gaps so they're flush with the base. Lesson learnt...never put a Syrian chewer in a plastic tank

I've been trying to find out when the new plaza is coming, any ideas?

It is tricky, it’s easy to over think things too & it just gets confusing. I wonder if the Plaza 120 might become a more available option soon.
Agree. If you get something you will make it work I am sure. I do have a very active syrian (which can be unusual for a male) who wants to be out every single night without fail. He is not a bar chewer at all - unless it's late at night and he wants to come out and I didn't notice. Then he will do it to get my attention for a few minutes in the top corner! It is purely to say hey it's time I came out and you're just sitting there. But he is happy in his cage the rest of the time.

Yes. I used epoxy. It was actually the zoozone 2 she took a chunk out of. There's a few spaces she could get her teeth into as there were to attach a hay rack to. I've since filled in all the gaps so they're flush with the base. Lesson learnt...never put a Syrian chewer in a plastic tank
I think it depends on the Syrian maybe :) They are also quite low maybe for a Syrian - I love the Zoozones and Duna Multys but I think I would feel frustrated at not being able to fit enough in heightwise. It's either more height or more floorspace to compensate for the height. Some Syrians would be perfectly happy in it though!

I'll take them off my list, thanks for the advice

Hmm! Savic told me it should be in PAH in a few months - that was in January. Daisy has already found it in stock in a shop in Wales but they don't deliver.

The only place anyone has seen it so far is in a shop in Wales, nowhere else yet but that must mean it will be available soon I would think.

Reactions: Maz
Have you looked for second hand cages at all? The Barney is a good one second hand. You can't get it new any more,. I used to have one. And I regret selling it but had no idea Brexit and the pandemic would come along and it would become unavailable.

It's slightly bigger than the Plaza and also a better height - not too tall not too low. It has quite a bit more floor area as its; 100cm x 54cm. That 4cm extra depth doesn't sound much but it makes a huge difference along the full length of the cage and you can fit a lot more in.

It only has two small front doors (as well as a large one on top) but that is ideal for an active Syrian. Less so for a shy syrian as it can be hard to get them out with the small doors. A very active one will just come to the door. Means they can't jump out easily as well!

You sometimes see a used one on ebay. good size, cheap option. But it depends what location they're in. Not that many around.

There are quite a few used plazas on ebay though so that might save some money if you're thinking of perspex panels later.

The Barney cage was on the list, but I couldn't find one, but it was a option

Sorry, I missed this. We've gone for the Plaza, I thought that would be the least stressful. She doesn't like being approached from above and we can get perspex added if it's needed. It was also the best delivery time.

Hopefully that will be a good upgrade. Is she still chewing the cardboard a lot?

Back