Tino's thread

They do like to keep us guessing. He's probably just enjoying his nice big new home. I'm sure he'll want to come out soon

Ah, those secret tunnels, yes, it's amazing how they can anticipate the human view point and create concealed entrances! It's too soon to free roam, but that might be a card to play in time. It made a big difference to Socks, who loved being loose (in a well hamster proofed room) and started climbing up my arm to be let out at one stage, and bar biting. But since the gin gins have moved in, it's either the shower room or the playpen for safety. Socks gets up just after I go to bed and runs on his wheel mostly now. At the moment I have a cold, so am not handling my rodents in case they get infected.

I'm sorry to hear you have a cold - not nice - I hope you feel better soon - and just as the weather has come sunny!

Thank you Hank - yes I'm sure he's enjoying his burrow :)

Tino reminds me slightly of our first Hamster Charlie - a bit - although not quite the same personality. So I'm remembering some of Charlie's sensitivities. And I suspect Tino is now associating coming out in the tube with some big change happening to his cage. Charlie used to "guard" his cage if I'd done a bit of a clean while he was out of it - ie not trust coming out again. Which is why I did any spot cleaning while he was in the cage after that, and tend to do that anyway.

So that might be a factor as well. So hopefully he will get in a routine of coming out again soon so that sets up a routine and he can see he's going back to the same cage.

Or he might just be taking a big longer to settle than some - it's good he's dug a tunnel and made a burrow. He had dropped his half eaten blueberry on the top of the house when he heard me coming and must have just shot down the house top roof to hide.

He must have a burrow down there as he keeps taking all the nesting material and there's none to be seen anywhere :)

Thanks Max, blundering through the chores, but getting better! What you say makes sense!

Reactions: Maz
A couple of clips of Tino later last night. He went and took the walnut from the wheel and actually got in it for a few seconds and walked a bit but didn't really run in it - he didn't run in it the rest of the night either. Maybe he's happy underground eating?!

The second one is him at the cage door again - he clearly wants to come out but isn't keen on human interaction right now. But that might change.

Hurrah - Tino started using his wheel again last night 😊. I think he prefers the cage slightly more open without that big ceramic hide as well. He can run in his wheel and see out of the door at the same time - possibly. And slightly easier access to his cork log - it means the layout is more similar to his old layout in a way. Although I do think he preferred his old open wheel (which was slightly under 11” so might not be big enough for him now).

Later last night he did something funny. There is an “ice cream cone” treat at the front of the cage which he sometimes sits and nibbles. It’s the same one Raffy had for his second birthday. It’s basically a cone with a ball treat sat inside. It’s quite a large ball treat.

Last night Tino picked up the whole ball treat in his mouth and carried it off - initially under the cork log but then across the cage to his house roof. Then disappeared behind the house so assume it’s gone down his tunnel with him 😊

Here’s a clip of him carrying it

Super video, that is a rather large treat, shows how strong their jaws are to be able to pick it up and carry it away. Great news Tino has used his wheel again 👍

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Thanks Zara :-) I think he looks so funny carrying it :-) I suspect he'd chewed part of it away to be able to get hold of it.

So I still haven't seen Tino 🤣 I was awake in the early hours this morning and heard some noise downstairs so went downstairs. No Tino to be seen but quite a lot of banging going on inside his house. I wonder what he's doing. Probably eating a chew and it banging against the side. So it seems the house might be a cafe/snack place rather than somewhere to sleep.

Regarding Tino's mood swings I'm presuming he just a typical teenager now I like it now I don't

I think he's just a shy personality and always has been. I shall have to start getting him back in the routine of coming out of the cage sometimes - if I can find him!

I think he just really enjoys his lovely big home. Just making sure he has little hoards where he needs them, and once it's all fixed, he'll be ready to come and play again

Thank you Hank. Yes I maybe need to be patient :-)

Hurrah - Tino started using his wheel again last night 😊. I think he prefers the cage slightly more open without that big ceramic hide as well. He can run in his wheel and see out of the door at the same time - possibly. And slightly easier access to his cork log - it means the layout is more similar to his old layout in a way. Although I do think he preferred his old open wheel (which was slightly under 11” so might not be big enough for him now).

Later last night he did something funny. There is an “ice cream cone” treat at the front of the cage which he sometimes sits and nibbles. It’s the same one Raffy had for his second birthday. It’s basically a cone with a ball treat sat inside. It’s quite a large ball treat.

Last night Tino picked up the whole ball treat in his mouth and carried it off - initially under the cork log but then across the cage to his house roof. Then disappeared behind the house so assume it’s gone down his tunnel with him 😊

Here’s a clip of him carrying it

That is a nice log, Tino has some good options to hide his favorite things in! Hang in there Maz, I'm hopeful he will warm up eventually

He might need some encouragement! I need to do a spot clean - although not quite sure where .....trial and error.

So I still haven't seen Tino 🤣 I was awake in the early hours this morning and heard some noise downstairs so went downstairs. No Tino to be seen but quite a lot of banging going on inside his house. I wonder what he's doing. Probably eating a chew and it banging against the side. So it seems the house might be a cafe/snack place rather than somewhere to sleep.
I love the idea that in their little world, they pop out to a cafe for a snack, then go back home for a snooze 😴

Back