Tino's thread

He's just deciding what to do. Sounds like he will be asking for an outing soon

I seem to remember Jas doing this? Moving between shelf and house? Yes I think he wants an outing - if he would show himself before dark!

Perhaps Tino and Raffy are chatting in ultrasound, joking that you probably think Tino is staring into space 😄

I do wonder sometimes when he looks like he's sitting and listening and looking out of the cage :ROFLMAO:

Jas does switch between her MCH and under her Sandbath. She is currently burrowed under her Sandbath.
I think they just like to keep us on our toes😃

This is a couple of weeks ago now, but this is Tino the couple of nights after moving into the cage. Exploring a bit more. He moved in on the Tuesday night. On the Wednesday night he was having a good nibble of the "ice cream" cone. Then on Thursday he worked out how to get on top of the ceramic hide (which he didn't manage the first night), explored a bit more, used the wheel - then at the end pouched all the bedding next to the house. Then disappeared in the direction of the shelf - so I think it was this third night in the cage he decided to leave the house and nest under the shelf - where the veg was!

I need to go through some more recent clips but they are very similar to these - he is quite slow - sits and thinks quite a lot.

Handsome Tino! He is a well brought up young hamster, sorting out his nest and checking his cage, and then exercising.

The photo was his first night in the cage, just before he disappeared ha ha.

I checked his wheel last night and it was blocked! I do wonder why Raffy and Tino have this conspiracy to block their wheels up! He did appear from the house roof last night so I think he's moved in there now.

This is a clip of him from last night - at one point he is looking hard in the direction of Raffy's cage (when he looks over to the right a bit). He does do some listening and thinking.

The room is probably reverberating with ultrasound and no human would ever know. He is listening and looking very intensely.

He is big, slow and thoughtful :) Unless he has a taste of freedom like before! I'm not sure he realised his wheel was working again so I put a bit of strawberry in it :-)

How tame is Tino at this point? He looks pretty relaxed in these last two videos

Well he was getting quite tame before I upgraded his cage :ROFLMAO: But that may have regressed slightly as he's been hiding away for two weeks. I think he will be wanting to be out now though - I just need to find him at the right time of night and tempt him to come out earlier. Then we can pick up where we left off. He has always been happy to be stroked though, right from the start.

He really is listening or looking so intently at something. Almost looks like he’s pawing the floor as if he’s waiting for you to magically appear. Great news if he’s moved back in his main house 👍

So Tino still isn’t using his wheel, which is odd. Checked last night’s video. It’s still running ok and not blocked. The bit of strawberry has gone. He is using the house though. Here he is going in it at about 4.20am and he didn’t come out again.

Lovely to see him head off into his house ☺️ I’m a bit behind with my reading. Do you think he’s not so keen on the wheel with the shaped openings and would prefer a completely open fronted wheel, where he can hope in and out with ease?

Reactions: Maz
I'm really not sure Zara. He was using it when he first moved in. I then found it was blocked and not working a couple of days ago and maybe it had been like that for 2 or 3 days and he got used to not using it - but he used to do a lot of wheel running. And I did wonder if he missed the old open wheel.

So tonight I decided to try and see if I could tempt him out - but couldn't find him :ROFLMAO:. Took the house roof off and he wasn't in there - and it still didn't look lived in or disturbed. So I lifted the large ceramic hide out - nothing disturbed under their either. I had been thinking about removing that after watching him on the videos. Because there just isn't any floor space to run around in and he's a big hamster - apart from that he doesn't seem interested in it and it blocks the view of the camera as well. As it happened one of the legs fell off it when I lifted it up, so I decided to leave it out. I think it looks better now - some other things are more accessible.

So I thought he must be back over at the other end under the cork log or the lower shelf - lifted the log out - nothing but clean substrate under and behind it. So I put that back. Lifted up the lower platform - nothing but clean substrate. No sign of any tunnels or burrow entrances anywhere in the cage.

So thought - he must be underground somewhere, but curious I can't see a burrow hole anywhere.

After I went to bed tonight I waited a while and watched via the nightcam on my phone. Saw him out in the cage next to the door so decided to go down and offer him the tube. By the time I got downstairs he was nowhere to be seen so clearly just the sound of me coming downstairs made him hide.

I lifted the house roof off again and he was inside it. Hurray I've finally seen him. Talked to him and he ignored me completely. Offered him the tube and he quickly climbed over the edge of the house at the back and disappeared. Oh dear - he doesn't like me any more.

I thought - well he must be just sitting on the substrate in the gap between the house and the back of the cage as there's nothing else there. So I walked round the side of the cage to look and talk to him - and he wasn't there! When I looked closely there is a tunnel entrance right in the back corner in the gap between the house and the back of the cage. So he has a burrow down there, under the house maybe. Very inaccessible!

So it definitely looks like taming has regressed! It's clear he wants to come out of the cage watching the nightcam videos but isn't responding to me any more. Either in a huge huff at the change, or just forgotten who I am after two weeks!

I'll give it a bit more time.

Back