Tino's thread

Great to see Tino settled into his lovely new cage, loved watching him explore in the video.

He has quite a regal way of moving. He could be using ultrasound to methodically orient himself. He knows that monkey nuts are best stored with their shell on, luckily they have round edges! Very cute the way he turns it around iin his paws to pack it just right for carrying 🥜💼

Thank you both. It was the way he licked the monkey nut first (maybe to test it) that made me laugh!

Tino is still invisible - which is not surprising after a cage change. I wonder how long before he starts being out and about more again. I'm curious to know what's going on in house but will have to be patient. An aroma might mean I need to check the house though (he didn't use his toilet previously), but I suspect, like Raffy, he will pee under plenty of bedding and not in his house, as before. He ignored his toilet previously!

His veg dish is on the opposite side of the cage to his house, so he needs to traverse the cage nightly. And it's clear he's out and about at night. I'll be uploading some night cam videos when I get chance :-)

Tino has been invisible since he moved into his new cage :ROFLMAO: Hopefully he will start appearing again soon. I haven't got round to uploading his night time videos yet .......... It's always reassuring to see them at night on the nightcam. And I know he's ok as his veg is gone every day.

Is he busy tunnel making perhaps. Or maybe where he’s tucking himself away in his new nesting place, he doesn’t hear so well or feel your movement vibrations, so he just sleeps on 😆

• Love
Reactions: Maz
He may well be busy making tunnels! I shall find out soon. No smells coming from the cage as yet. It's not quite two weeks yet, so after that he might start appearing more.

What a glorious set up. I love barred cages and that one is a real corker.

• Love
Thanks Tulsi - it's great. I'm getting that perspective thing now where suddenly the Plaza 120 doesn't look that big ha ha - next to this one.

Tino is still no show but I noticed he has demolished his sunflower head completely! Not a single sunflower seed left in it. It's actually half a sunflower head but it was a very large one before it broke in half.

Well I can’t find Tino 🤣. Haven’t seen him since the night he moved into his new cage. Tonight I thought he might like a bit of the porridge I made for Raffy’s medicine (still out of baby food). So thought I’d check on him in his house and offer it to him on a spoon - as I used to. Although with so much bedding I did half expect him not to be visible.

Not only was he not visible in the house, he doesn’t seem to be using it. No tunnels- all very clean and undisturbed looking. Although possibly a bit of a mound at one end but doesn’t look that used or disturbed.

There is the big hyacinth hide that is stuffed full of substrate so I decided to lift that up and see if he was in there. He wasn’t. Lifted the lid off the ceramic hide to see if he was nesting in there - he wasn’t - that looks undisturbed as well.

So I guess he’s underground somewhere! His food bowl is still on top of his house and his veg bowl is the other end of the cage on the platform.

No clues so I’ll have to look at the nightcam to see where he emerges from at night! No sign of tunnel entrances either.

Anyway I’ve left the teaspoon of porridge in his cage and I’m sure it will go!

I hope he comes out soon! They are amazing at disguising their tunnels. Come on Tino, none of this hiding business! We know you are still growing, but Mom wants to see you!

• Love
So I checked the nightcam video for the last couple of nights. He appears from under the shelf area at the opposite end of the cage to the house each night. So there I was, thinking I was being clever, putting his veg in a dish on the platform at the opposite end of the cage to the house, so he'd be encouraged to get up and walk across the cage in the evenings (this used to work with Charlie). But no, he wants to wake up very close to his veg - as he used to before!

Previously, both his food bowl and his bit of veg were on top of his house and he'd pop out of his top hole, nab the veg and pop down again.

Either he is just quite a lazy hamster and wants his veg close by when he wakes up, or I have confused him! By putting the food and veg in different places. He goes across to his house roof after he's up and had his veg, and sits there pouching his food - but otherwise it's an abandoned house! And an abandoned toilet.

So Hamster 1 Human 0 :ROFLMAO: . I think I'll start putting his veg back on his house roof with his food to try and tempt him to move back into the house. Because he is in an extremely inaccessible corner, and lifting up a platform on long legs (if needed - eg to spot clean) is going to be a big disturbance and not easy.

I still haven't uploaded any nightcam videos from after he moved in, or recently - I will get round to it - it takes a bit of looking through and saving sections, before uploading them.

I hope he comes out soon! They are amazing at disguising their tunnels. Come on Tino, none of this hiding business! We know you are still growing, but Mom wants to see you!
See above!

So I’ve moved Tino’s veg dish to the top of the house. I wonder if he will now move into the house. He might not as I think he’ll have built a nest under the shelf. That first or second night on the nightcam, I watched him pouched all the paper bedding left out next to the house which is why I assumed he was in the house. But he probably took it to the under shelf area. I’ve been talking to an empty house for over a week 🤣

So I’ve been trying to tempt Tino into moving into the house. His veg pot was moved on top of the house near the food dish and water bottle. The first night that didn’t make any difference and I saw from the nightcam he still went back under his shelf at the other end.

I then started adding a trail of treats inside the house and a smelly treat inside - and a new pile of nesting material next to the house.

There was no camera footage the last few nights though as I hadn’t noticed the camera had fallen down! It is now taped back on top of the tripod. So I could see what he did last night.

I suspect he might have moved back into the house as the last time he was out I could see his eyes glowing at that top of the house.

But not quite sure. He seemed to spend quite a bit of time just sitting thinking - going to one end of the cage - then back and sitting and thinking a lot in the middle. I noticed he doesn’t seem to be using his wheel either so will need to check that today to check it’s working ok.

He also looks like he really wants to come out now as was looking out and checking the cage sides quite a lot. But he still only gets up after lights are out. I might need to sneak down one night to let him out. Or - if he’s in the house again it’ll be easier to tempt him out (possibly!).

Still haven’t sorted out the nightcam videos!

Last edited:
Back