Tino's thread

Sshh 🤫 It's all dark and quiet

He’s back in his cage asleep in his nest. It was on the floor near the sofa with the door open. A brief look at the nightcam video shows he came out literally as I gave up watching and went to sleep about 1.40am.

He nonchalantly sauntered in and out of the cage for the next few hours and roamed around but then spent most of the time on his wheel. Thankfully he decided to go to sleep in his nest rather than leave the cage again.

I checked in his house at 7am and he was in it so door is closed again.

IMG_1503.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes the cage was on the floor with the door open and a cushion on the open door to make a ramp. He just followed the seed trail up it and into the cage - then was in and out of the cage a few times.

I couldn’t quite see where he came out from but he was certainly behaving like a hamster most of the night. Seemed to be enjoying himself!

His body language didn’t seem stressed. But the taste of freedom may make him harder to get used to humans again now.

He’s back in his cage asleep in his nest. It was on the floor near the sofa with the door open. A brief look at the nightcam video shows he came out literally as I gave up watching and went to sleep about 1.40am.

He nonchalantly sauntered in and out of the cage for the next few hours and roamed around but then spent most of the time on his wheel. Thankfully he decided to go to sleep in his nest rather than leave the cage again.

View attachment 6299
Excellent news! Good boy! Perhaps being adventurous is a good thing for confidence, although transporting him might be a bit worrisome until he settles.

View attachment 6299
He wants the whole house, not just a hamster cage😄

They all do! (Want the whole house)

There is a bit of a mystery as well. The bucket trap had also gone off. The ruler is inside the bucket at an angle leaning against the side of the bucket. All the sunflower seeds from the steps are in the bottom of the bucket - along with a couple of poops. It’s possible he fell in and climbed out again by walking up the ruler. It’s also possible a mouse might have been in the bucket which is slightly concerning if a mouse had been around as well. But mice don’t pouch sunflower seeds and there were a lot of them in the bottom of the bucket.

I could t see any activity on the book steps on the nightcam but it’s at the end of the room furthest away from the camera. And I haven’t checked the whole night’s footage.

The living room looks like an obstacle course.

Yes it is a relief. Mystery solved. I just played back the nightcam video on 4x speed. And yes Tino fell into the bucket trap. And climbed out again about an hour or so later. What a clever boy he was to climb out!

He didn’t seem too phased afterwards as still roamed around the room all over the place and in and out of the cage and running in his wheel.

Wow, what an adventure Tino had! Sounds like he enjoyed it and then was happy to be back in his cage. I hope you are able to relax now. You must have been really anxious.

I wasn’t too worried really as I knew he was in the living room and would be hungry. And had something like this before. The only time I felt slightly worried was just before I went to sleep last night as there had been no sign of activity by 1.30am and I thought he might leave the cage again and still be hiding in the room next day. Rather than me be awake when he went in the cage and nip down to close the cage door. The idea of it going on for a few days ….

As it happened he went in and out of his cage a lot! But still went back to his house and nest to sleep. I’m still amazed he climbed out of the bucket!

View attachment 6299
Pleased the wanderer has returned hope he doesn't expect you to leave his door open so he can go walkabout whenever he likes 😍

I think he would like that! My first hamster about 30 years ago (it wasn't actually my hamster - it was a boyfriend's) did have that luxury. He had an awful rotostak thing, which was a new thing at the time - but it was left open every night and he free roamed all night and went back to his cage to sleep in the morning. As I say it wasn't my hamster so just accepted that was what was done!

In hindsight I would have just left the cage on the floor and removed the bucket trap. Putting the cage on the floor usually works. It can't have been nice for him being stuck in the bucket for over an hour.

Back