Tino's thread

Some video clips of Tino last night. I didn't see him before I went to bed (as usual!). He is seeming to work out why he can't get out of the front of the cage any more and seeing the door is closed. He clearly wanted to come out again. I hope he starts getting up earlier, then he can!

He then ran on his wheel for about 2 hours with the odd break and then checked the front door again

Then climbed on top of his coconut hut and had a nibble of his spray

Then a bit of food pouching before going to bed

If he seems to prefer the sand potty then I might put something else in the shell instead of sand at some point.
He doesn't use his sand bath at all. Which doesn't surprise me really! I've never had a Syrian that liked using a sand bath. The first two nights he sat in it but didn't do anything with the sand, so I think he likes it as a hide. He does seem to see the sand potty as a place to sit and have a wash though (although only saw that the first night he was here).

Shortly after I got my dog, I visited my parents on my 40th birthday and he managed to get out their back gate (the wind blew it open) and go walkabout for half an hour. Whenever we visited after that, he would run straight to the back gate and sniff under it 😆 it was kept locked when we visited lol 😏 Seeing Tino check the door reminded me of Monty.

I'm willing to bet Toby will eventually get up earlier to say hi to you. He seems to be doing well in his new home, it's a magical journey bonding wiry a hamster

Shortly after I got my dog, I visited my parents on my 40th birthday and he managed to get out their back gate (the wind blew it open) and go walkabout for half an hour. Whenever we visited after that, he would run straight to the back gate and sniff under it 😆 it was kept locked when we visited lol 😏 Seeing Tino check the door reminded me of Monty.
Monty must have been a nice dog ❤️ 🐕

❤️ You can see a hint of disappointment on his little face. And a definite "how do I open the door" look 😄
I think so too - I felt slightly guilty watching that and thinking - he wants the door open again. Well I will continue with some bath tub time every 2 or 3 days and he'll have to get up before midnight if he wants the door open and some out of cage time - somehow I need to get him into that pattern. But yes he's had a taste of freedom and coming and going from the cage.

I'm willing to bet Toby will eventually get up earlier to say hi to you. He seems to be doing well in his new home, it's a magical journey bonding wiry a hamster
It's Tino :ROFLMAO: - but yes hopefully he will start getting up before I got to bed. And you're right it's a special journey, first bonding with a hamster.

It's Tino :ROFLMAO: - but yes hopefully he will start getting up before I got to bed. And you're right it's a special journey, first bonding with a hamster.
Maybe I was just lucky but my sister in law always managed to get her hamsters into her routine they came out as soon as she sat down with her morning coffee (she said they smelt it ) and went to bed when she went off to work so I did the same with Pete now he pops out whenever we call him ( mostly) we always pick him up and if he's still tired he doses in our hands and we put him back to bed after little cuddle or if he's lively he stays out till he gets bored he has no set routine. We also take his playpen into the TV lounge if he wakes up when we go to watch TV around 7.30pm. Sorry not hijacking just wondering if you could get Tino into a routine that works so you get to interact with him at a more acceptable time. Btw sister in laws hams were all Syrian.

Yes that is the plan to try and get him into a routine - thank you Jain :) He's still a baby hamster though, and only coming out when it's safe!

Yes that is the plan to try and get him into a routine - thank you Jain :) He's still a baby hamster though, and only coming out when it's safe!
I'm sure his instincts will soon tell him he's safe with you they seem to know who is confident and present no danger but allowing for the difference in the individual hamsters nothing is guaranteed as I've learnt on this forum lol

It's been a hectic week here - and not a sign of Tino. Not a peep. I check the nightcam footage most days and he's doing his own thing at night as before. Anyway it's given him about a week to settle again after his escapade. I'll have to start doing some more bathtub time.

I will tell him. It’s like looking at an empty cage 😂. He doesn’t even make a sound. Usually he sleeps quite late though.

Well he will walk into a tube happily if I take his house roof off - I just need to do it when the bathroom is free and it isn't going to wake anyone up! I'm not sure if he'd walk into a tube earlier in the evening as he does seem to sleep quite heavily.

I wonder if you disturbed him (sorry if this is controversial) but if every time you did get him out you let him play in the bath he may be more happy than upset at being disturbed I mean he may not even be asleep just waiting for you to leave the room and go to bed.

Back