Toby

Toby came to say hello today.

20231214_201058.jpg

I offered him a sunflower seed from my hand and he seemed a bit confused about whether he was supposed to take it or not, so I put it down in front of him and he took it.

I noticed one of the toes on his back left foot is a bit red but I'll just keep an eye on it for a couple of days as it's probably a minor injury.

I'll be tweaking his setup slightly over the next few days as I see what works best for him and then I'll post a photo.

Congratulations on your new arrival Daisy, now he’s safe in your care, he can start to relax, enjoy himself and flourish. He looks very cute and the name Toby really suits him. I think it’s a positive sign that he came right to the front of the enclosure when you were offering the sunflower seed. Look forward to hearing more about him as he settles.

He doesn't seem scared of me at all. I think he's just afraid of things he doesn't understand yet, and sudden movements. I leaned towards him slightly at one point and that startled him, but he hasn't screamed at all today.

That’s really good he hadn’t screamed. He obviously feels more secure. Raffy was like this when I first got him - he was afraid of hands or sudden movements. I ended up hand feeding him in the playpen (with gloves on) for a couple of weeks.

He's so adorable, what an amazing face when he looks at you! Amazing he doesn't bite and took a treat when set down for him. I think you did the right thing in waiting, then helping him out of that scary spot. It's possible he heard or smelled something from outside and just decided to bunker down.

That’s a lovely photo of Toby, it’s great to see him being so brave & coming out to say hello & have a treat.
It sounds as though he’s settling in & getting the hang of things really well, everything being so new it might be a bit confusing for him but I’m sure it’s all very exciting too & he’s enjoying his new home.
He’s bound to be a bit jumpy but it really doesn’t sound as though he’s scared really.

Toby is doing so well. He's getting friendlier every day. I believe he is the kind of hamster who reacts strongly to things he doesn't understand and to the unexpected, but also adjusts to new things really quickly. So he's not nearly as nervous as I originally thought he was.

I thought I would have to work hard to tame him, but he's really taming himself.

He will take food from me now and is very curious about me. I wouldn't be surprised if he walked onto my hand quite soon as he's clearly very curious about it.

20231216_003518.jpg
20231215_064832.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back