Toby

What a wonderful update! I am so happy to hear this. They are such cute pictures of him. It sounds like he has had a lot of anxiety in his life but now he can feel safe and secure. It was very lucky you found him and brought him home. :)

I realised I never said how old he is. The shop assistant said he's about 10 weeks old, so almost a baby still really, which means the screaming is understandable.

I counted back 10 weeks from the day I got him and gave him the birthday of 3rd October

I realised I never said how old he is. The shop assistant said he's about 10 weeks old, so almost a baby still really, which means the screaming is understandable.

I counted back 10 weeks from the day I got him and gave him the birthday of 3rd October
He's been through a lot in a short space of time. Now he can just focus on growing up and being happy!

I haven't updated in a while as I've been so busy with work and I haven't even been able to see Toby that much.

He's still doing well, but his toe is still red. I can't decide if it's getting worse or not.

This photo was from the day I got him. It's his back left foot.
20231214_203513.jpg

And this one is from today:
20231220_215659347_iOS.jpg

It does look a bit different between the photos, but the lighting is different as they were taken with different phones. Sometimes it almost looks like some kind of wart or growth on the toe.

I've been trying to have a proper look at it with my phone torch tonight, but Toby understandably doesn't like the bright light and keeps running away! Ideally I'd like to get a good look at it and decide if it needs seeing by a vet before Christmas, although in all likelihood I think it's probably not that serious as it doesn't seem to bother him. I never see him biting or licking it and he runs around normally. At this point there probably isn't much a vet would suggest anyway except to keep an eye on it.

I wonder if it could be a injury from the fighting. I adopted a gerbil once who had been attacked by other gerbils and he had a toe completely missing!

I enlarged the ones you linked. It's hard to tell what it is. It does look like a growth of some kind. It's unusual it's pink. It actually looks like a toe - does that toe have a nail? I would keep an eye on it. Good it hasn't got any worse.

I enlarged the ones you linked. It's hard to tell what it is. It does look like a growth of some kind. It's unusual it's pink. It actually looks like a toe - does that toe have a nail? I would keep an eye on it. Good it hasn't got any worse.
It does have a claw. I also noticed in the second linked photo that the right back foot has a bit of red on it as well.

Yes it does a bit, but it doesn't look swollen. I suppose it could be worth a vet check when you can. I guess it could be an infected toenail.

But then if it hasn't got any worse and isn't bothering him - then yes it could possibly be from an injury that didn't heal well.

I just managed to get him out briefly for a better look and I think it is better than it was last week. The photo I took earlier made it look odd but in real life it looks much less red and swollen. So I'm not too worried now.

I can’t see all that well but it does look as though it could well be an injury, possible from fighting or maybe getting trapped in something.
It’s good that it seems better now, if it doesn’t seem to be bothering him I think maybe just keeping an eye on if for now is probably the best thing.
He does always look totally adorable!

Back