Toby

He may become more confident once the swelling has settled. He is an all star cutie 💓
Thank you :)

He's mostly pretty confident already. He's not ready to be held yet but I think mostly because he's not used to it rather than because he's necessarily scared. He doesn't know what to expect and doesn't understand what's happening.

Next week I hope to start getting him out with a hamster "taxi" and sitting with him in a playpen so he can start to get used to being touched and handled. I think out-of-cage taming will be the best approach for him.

Gorgeous photos of Toby, he’s looking super cute there eating his food. Good to hear the sore you’ve spotted is looking less red, hope it continues to improve 😃

I offered Toby his first scrambled egg today as a Christmas treat but he didn't want it. At least he didn't scream at it though!

He's turning into a really happy and friendly hamster.

Lovely to hear how well little Toby is settling in now, he sounds really happy.
No one ever screamed at me when I gave them egg as a special treat but I have had the evil eye!

I ended up with Covid over Christmas so I didn't get to start handling Toby like I hoped, partly because I didn't feel up to it, and partly because I was worried about passing it onto him, even though the risk is probably pretty low. I'm much better now and the animals are all fine.

Last night I was finally able to get Toby out of his cage briefly. I let him walk into a tube and then let him walk out onto my lap. He was out for just a few minutes and he was quite uncertain and cautious but not scared exactly. He walked onto my hand several times. Then when he went back into the tube I took him back to his cage.

In his cage he's very lively and confident. He's in a Savic Mickey 2XL (which is essentially the same as a Hamster Heaven) but I suspect he will eventually get a 100cm cage as I think the Mickey may not fully meet his needs long term.

For the time being I will keep him in the Mickey. He has a Ferplast Sin house currently but yesterday I ordered him a Getzoo house. Leo has a Getzoo house and they're really lovely quality. I ordered this one with three rooms and two entrances. I hope he will like it. He's much more embracing of change than Leo is. It's Leo's birthday soon and I ended up just buying him treats because I don't think his cage can fit anything new and I know from experience not to replace anything.

I also ordered Toby this elephant hide which I thought was really cute, and I might paint it.

Good to hear you’re feeling better now.
Lovely update on Toby, he’s coming on so well & I’m sure he’ll just keep getting more confident now & start enjoying some out of cage time.
Those Getzoo houses are really nice, I’ve used them a lot & was a bit miffed when I couldn’t get one to fit how I wanted in the Plaza! I’m sure he’ll love that.
I know what you mean about Leo’s birthday, just what do you get for the hamster who has everything!

Love the elephant bridge :) I can't believe Leo is having a birthday already. How old was he when you got him? Hope you're fully recovered from the horrible Covid now.

Back