Gardens and wildlife

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
This thread is for posting photos of plants, and other garden things, and any birds or wildlife. It can be nice to spot some during the winter - and share any lovely blooms in spring, summer and autumn too!

I will have to try and photograph my visiting robin(s) again. Still coming daily but as there is only one at a time, I am unsure if I have one greedy robin claiming my garden as territory for the winter, or 2 coming separately!

Plant life is being prepared for winter. Some have needed to be cut back before being put into winter woolies! We were wrapping 3 oranges trees outside the front door this morning as frost is predicted for the next couple of nights. Other plants have had to come inside the utility room and those vulnerable to frostremaining outside have had old blankets draped over them for the weekend chill.

I was wondering how your robins were doing :) Yes there's not a lot to see at the moment. The leaves on my berberis plant (evergreen) are turning red now, which looks nice.

PB240438.JPG

PB240439.JPG

This is last year's Christmas tree. It was bought pot grown and the idea was to then plant it in the garden, then dig it up and use it again this year. Well with the kind of year I've had, it never did get planted out and is now looking a bit sparse as it should have at least been repotted. So we won't be using it this year after all. It was also a lot smaller than I expected last year and hasn't really grown much!

PB240434.JPG

The little sage plant I put in a couple of months ago is still alive :) But won't grow much until next year now

PB240436.JPG

I managed to photograph the robin this afternoon. Arrived on the top of Julius Caesar as usual, waits there while the teaspoon of food is put in the same place below. S/he is not put of by the arrival of the yellow blanket to cover some plants nearby!

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpeg
    IMG_0402.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0401.jpeg
    IMG_0401.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 12
I am a softie! The food is all suet pellets now it is cold but 3 flavours, berry, insect and mealworms. This seems to be appreciated and sometimes 2 or 3 small servings are needed per visit. I break them up into one peck sizes so that they can be eaten quickly before being spotted another bigger bird.

I am a softie! The food is all suet pellets now it is cold but 3 flavours, berry, insect and mealworms. This seems to be appreciated and sometimes 2 or 3 small servings are needed per visit. I break them up into one peck sizes so that they can be eaten quickly before being spotted another bigger bird.
What a cute little Robin! It is so sweet of you to buy them such yummy food. :)

Ah, mini ones…didn’t know they existed. Thank you for the tip elusive. I will look for those next time but for now I will have to keep breaking them up and I think I have enough to last all winter with a kilo of each flavour for one or two robins!
Of course I could just sprinkle them out for more birds to have as I have an unopened kilo of mixed bird food as well.
But there is a mouse living nearby and who gets a spoonful of food before the light goes each day.
If there is a long cold spell, more food will need to be put out as the regular squirrel has gone and another comes only every now and then for the monkey notes.

It sounds like you do have enough for quite a while!
Pleased to hear the little mouse is still coming for food too.
The only place I know that does really mini ones is Ivel valley, they’re great for fledglings so maybe in the spring.

Thank you Maz. I am watched carefully as I approach but sometimes I am still emptying the spoon when it hops down nearby. I read that a robin can learn to recognise your voice, so sometimes I say hello and your food is coming! When I do that, there is no doubt that the head turns to look at me and even cocked a little as the beady eyes watch!

We don’t seem to get any here - I remember from childhood though they are supposed to be fairly friendly (maybe when food is available).

Robins are amazing, it only happened one year but I did have one that followed me around when I was gardening which was really sweet.
My current robin is a tough little one, it’s below freezing & at six still dark but it was already in the garden singing it’s heart out when I put it’s mealworms out this morning. I only put a few out in a special place so the robin can have them before the thugs arrive!

We have a couple of Robins too who visit the garden each year. I noticed one just the other day :)
My Holly bush has berries on it for the first time ever, which looks lovely. The squirrels and birds are enjoying the berries too!

The holly must look lovely with the berries on it, they do take a long time to reach that stage but worth the wait!
It grew up from a seed probably brought in by a squirrel and I just let it grow! It’s a lovely shape and size now (I don’t remember how long it’s been there, but it’s a few years now) and especially lovely to have the berries this year 😍 I’ll try to get some pictures when I’m recovered from my chest infection.

Back